Vandy memories

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have two vivid memories of Vandy games. My first was around 65 in the south endzone. They were just wood and metal framed bleachers. An older vandy fan was on the bottom row with a large bottle of vodka at his feet. He was in full Otis Campbell mode and angry because the gators were abusing the commode doors. All he kept saying were the commodores were cheerleaders in jockey straps. This was in a much more liberal day (made you flinch didnt I) and large bottles of liquor were all over tthe place. His was right in the open on the floor where people walked in the bottom of the south endzone. My other one is fast forward to 1996 and the Vandy game in Nashville. I took my 10 old daughter with friends. UF was beating everyone by 30 pts that year and the gators were a juggernaught. But Vandy always played us tough and the zebras had flags flying like the leaves from my pecan tree in November. I knew the "depsise SOS" fix was in when Danny threw a pic and being the only one with a chance to tackle the pick six was himself tackled by two commodores. In front of God and everyone. No flag. I think we had over 10 penalties in just one half. My daughter told me "Im scared dad" She was sure a loss was imminent but I assured her that while Vandy had the officials DannyW had God on his side and we of course won and went on to win the NATIONAL TITLE that year. My daughter (now 30) has been eat up with gator as me since then. To top that off we were staying just east of Nashville in the country with friends and it snowed over night and my little fla gal saw it for the first time. Magic it was.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Trying to think of good Vandy memories. We hardly ever beat them like we should.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
1975, my junior year. My roommate was pouring drinks at the start of the game, so he was leaning over and missed the first play. Jimmy DuBose, 80 yds, straight up the gut, 7-0 UF. He looked up and asked, "what happened?" We torched them 35-0.

2005 - I was there, my first OT game ever, against Jay Cutler and Vandy. Our Savannah Gator Club buys tix for one or two games per year in a block. Several of our members left when we were up 35-21, with about 5 to 7 minutes left. I thought they were crazy, and it turned out that they missed an incredible finish. Cutler led Vandy to tie it with almost no time left. We won in double-OT. I've been to both our OT games since (UGA in 2010 and UK this year), and we've won both. UF has only played in four OT games, losing the first to the Vols in KNX in 1998, and so I've been to all three that we've won.

Vandy is always hard to figure. We didn't play them every year until the league split into divisions. We lost to them in Nashville in 1982, and then torched them in Gainesville in 1983. We lost to them in Nashville again in 1988, but beat them at home the year later. Steve would take the team to Nashville and have a tough go of it, and then they'd come to Gainesville the next year and he'd clobber them. But some games at home were close. I was at the 1999 game where we only won something like 13-6. Two years later, however, in Steve's last season at UF, the Gators leveled Vandy something like 71-3. In two of the three NC seasons (96 and 06) we had incredibly close games up there, almost losing both times, but in 08 we just cleaned their clock.

A tough team to figure out.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
bradgator2 said:
I have a bad one from last year.

Thank God I don't! I was working last year had the game on the radio turned it off at the half didn't watch any highlights or replays. In my head it is like it never happened.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n100405 said:
Originally posted by bradgator2
I have a bad one from last year.

Thank God I don't! I was working last year had the game on the radio turned it off at the half didn't watch any highlights or replays. In my foot it is like it never happened.

FIFY

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator