Virginia Tech FB puts out a fining schedule

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like the AD will be squashing it.

CNe0lEvUkAAVsdL.png:large

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You wouldnt think a Div1 athlete wouldnt need this kind of thing. But you never know with the entitled mentality of kids these days. The whole thing is pretty funny.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty funny that the highest paid coordinator in FBS proposed these fines on the kids that are getting stipends of probably $3,000 a year. I propose they fine him when his defense gives up first downs, FGs, TDs, incurs penalties and drops INTs. Think he'd go for that?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Funny, yes. Reminds me of the list my mom made for me to reduce my allowance if I didn't do my chores etc.

When I heard the report I thought it sounded overdone. Seeing the list, I'm more appreciative of what the coaches are trying to accomplish. There ought to be consequences and these seem reasonable to me. If it helps these guys be better students and men then I'm all for it.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
How about instead of money which they don't have much of and are not paid to play a reduction of playing time, running stairs, or other reductions of their personal time such as mandatory study hall monitored by their position coaches.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps it serves as a pre-emptive strike list so potential goof-offs will shape up before becoming lax. That would be
like the list I got from the UF bookstore one week before classes started telling me what books & chapters that I had to
have already read before I set foot into class. That shook simple me up at the time, but just then I realized I was at a
no-nonsense University … no more high school puff ?

Instead of money they could wear a cheaper white jersey with a broader pink stripe on it for the bigger "crimes" &
have those represent extra laps, etc. they'd have to do after practice. The money seems a bit mercenary by the
school, unless of course the kids do none of those foul-ups at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n267611 said:
Pretty funny that the highest paid coordinator in FBS proposed these fines on the kids that are getting stipends of probably $3,000 a year. I propose they fine him when his defense gives up first downs, FGs, TDs, incurs penalties and drops INTs. Think he'd go for that?

I think we should fine the head coach 0.5-1 million for every loss beyond three, and an extra million for losing seasons. Big penalty for going to a crappy bowl or even more for no bowl. They get these gigantic bonuses for winning. There should be a stick that goes along with the carrot. You want to mail it in like Creyer did his last year or perform like Chimp did? OK, but you're going to feel it in the checkbook.

It would also make it clear from the outset what the standards are, just in case they think that 4 or 5 losses is "good enough".

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n267647 said:
Perhaps it serves as a pre-emptive strike list so potential goof-offs will shape up before becoming lax. That would be
like the list I got from the UF bookstore one week before classes started telling me what books & chapters that I had to
have already read before I set foot into class. That shook simple me up at the time, but just then I realized I was at a
no-nonsense University … no more high school puff ?

Instead of money they could wear a cheaper white jersey with a broader pink stripe on it for the bigger "crimes" &
have those represent extra laps, etc. they'd have to do after practice. The money seems a bit mercenary by the
school, unless of course the kids do none of those foul-ups at all.

Another possibility is to give them cheaper NIKE stuff rather than the good stuff. Or some indication at practice that they are not living up to expectations. No name on their jersey. Lots of options to encourage players to meet their requirements.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n267649 said:
I think we should fine the head coach 0.5-1 million for every loss beyond three, and an extra million for losing seasons. Big penalty for going to a crappy bowl or even more for no bowl. They get these gigantic bonuses for winning. There should be a stick that goes along with the carrot. You want to mail it in like Creyer did his last year or perform like Chimp did? OK, but you're check will reflect your lack of performance.

It would also make it clear from the outset what the standards are, just in case they think that 4 or 5 losses is "good enough".

This is a good idea. Especially for somewhat unproven coaches that Foley likes to hire.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm for it, and they can give it to a deserving VT student each year. I volunteer my son .

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Coach Mac already came out against it ...essentially saying, it's their stipend money and we aren't going to take that away from them.
I'm sure he has other ways of dealing with infractions without resorting to fines

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator