Watched the last two drives of the Tenn game last night

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had a few to drink last night, and decided to watch most of Q4 in what was one of the more entertaining games of a new era of Gator football. Several things stuck out to me on the last few drives that quite frankly show we aren't capable of without WG. We'll get to those in a minute. I wasn't as high on Grier as most of the board members early in the season, but boy did he win me over on these last two drives.

Drive 1- 17 play drive that cuts the lead to 6. Early in the drive we have a 3rd and 3. Drob runs a little drag.
Nothing complex whatsoever but Grier steps up hits his man for a modest 8 yard gain. Doesn't sound like much, but without the conversion we likely punt from our 28 with 8 minutes to go down two scores. Game over. Later on we convert two fourth down plays. The first an absolutely beautiful ball from Grier to Jake. Coverage was solid and he threw his man open where he could go up and get it close to the right sideline. Simply put TH can't make that throw , and likely doesn't even go with the ball there. Our next fourth down conversion comes on another drag this time by BP. Grier steps up in a decent pocket with rushers closing from the outside. The defender between him and BP has to make a choice. Chase Grier or cover Powell and let Grier run. The defender hesitates then takes a step toward Grier. Advantage gators as WG makes another good throw and a few shifty moves by BP takes it down to the 5 where we score two plays later.

Drive 2- Winner, winner, chicken dinner
-1st- Good call by Nuss on the screen to Taylor. Reeves Maybin (who is a hell of a player by the way) manages to slip behind a couple blockers after reading the play , and makes a nice tackle on taylor behind LOS.
-2nd and 14- Grier comes left on a 10 yard stop to Drob. Robinson has the football , but tries to make a defender miss him before securing it. Drop
-3rd and 14- This one is key here. Another play out of several that Treon probably doesn't make. Taylor is to Grier's left after the snap. Barnett bullrushes and whips the RT Halter closing in on #7. With one of the better DL in the SEC draped over him, WG manages to get rid of the football out of bounds near Robinson to avoid a grounding or obviously devastating sack. Again, a big play that at the time didn't seem like much, and one that TH probably doesn't make.

-4th and 14. I watched this one about 15 times. Wanted to see exactly what Nuss and Mac wanted to do here.
Play design, execution etc. All done beautifully. We go with four WR (NO Jake). Trips to the right (far side). Robinson to the left which is the top of the screen. I believe Taylor is to Grier's left. Thought this was surprising given the bull rush on the previous play by Barnett.The ball is snapped and Barnett instead of a bull rush this time goes for the speed rush. In an attempt to run around Halter. Halter does a good job here, and Barnett gets no help from his DL as Grier has a clean pocket to step into. We have Fulwood, Powell, and Calloway split wide to the right. 81 is at the bottom of the screen. Fulwood runs to the sticks and stops. Presumably to occupy the safety to that side of the field. Mac wants man coverage for Powell or 81. BP runs about 12 to 14 and darts to his right on the corner route. Calloway goes about 4 yards past the sticks and comes in on the square in. Grier reads it beautifully . The irony here is that Grier doesn't go for the home run ball. Which would've been the corner route to Powell. A tough throw even for an accurate QB like Grier with little margin for error. He goes for the sure thing, and when the ball leaves Will's hand he is likely thinking 1st down, Let's get the next play in , and beat these jokers. Instead Calloway secures the football and spins to his left (the right sideline where he knows he has help from his buddy BP). He secures the football in his right arm , like a seasoned veteran to keep away from a potential defender. He throws his left hand out as if to gesture to BP, Get in front of these guys and i'll trust my speed. That he did .Game over vols.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least we had Grier for 6 games. If Harris had been the starter all along, we'd have a 6-7 win team right now.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why the coaches won't call the drag route with Treon at QB. I get that he's short and can't see over the line, but that shouldn't completely eliminate that play from the playbook. And if the problem is that Treon can't read a defense, a drag route is about as simple as it gets in the passing game.

Will was eating everyone up with the drag route.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why the coaches won't call the drag route with Treon at QB. I get that he's short and can't see over the line, but that shouldn't completely eliminate that play from the playbook. And if the problem is that Treon can't read a defense, a drag route is about as simple as it gets in the passing game.

They have called drag routes, many times.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You're right. It's about as easy as it gets to complete. Another route Grier really excels at is the wheel. Whether it's a TE or slot WR he puts it on the money. We can be a very special team with #7.

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015

Simple pass but requires the right touch and timing. QB anticipates where the WR will be and throws to the spot. Treon has no timing mechanism. He waits for the receiver to finish the route rather than anticipating where the WR will be. His release is too slow so even the simplest of routes seems impossible for him to hit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Has been called, but Treon doesn't hit it because it requires timing. Which Treon doesn't appear to have with the receivers.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grier is perfect for this offense. Treon is not. I think we can all see that quite clearly now.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I still get chills everytime I watch Grier to Callaway on that 4th down, especially the moment he catches it how the crowd erupts and gets louder as Powell runs interference making it obvious he's going to score.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I still get chills everytime I watch Grier to Callaway on that 4th down, especially the moment he catches it how the crowd erupts and gets louder as Powell runs interference making it obvious he's going to score.

Truly fantastic play design and execution.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Truly fantastic play design and execution.
Yep, that play is the perfect example of "why" things look different on offense this year. Even with a QB that throws late every time, or refuses to throw at all, you can still see the play design at work. Give us a QB that can and will throw the ball on time, and this offense will be special under JMac.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had a few to drink last night, and decided to watch most of Q4 in what was one of the more entertaining games of a new era of Gator football. Several things stuck out to me on the last few drives that quite frankly show we aren't capable of without WG. We'll get to those in a minute. I wasn't as high on Grier as most of the board members early in the season, but boy did he win me over on these last two drives.

Drive 1- 17 play drive that cuts the lead to 6. Early in the drive we have a 3rd and 3. Drob runs a little drag.
Nothing complex whatsoever but Grier steps up hits his man for a modest 8 yard gain. Doesn't sound like much, but without the conversion we likely punt from our 28 with 8 minutes to go down two scores. Game over. Later on we convert two fourth down plays. The first an absolutely beautiful ball from Grier to Jake. Coverage was solid and he threw his man open where he could go up and get it close to the right sideline. Simply put TH can't make that throw , and likely doesn't even go with the ball there. Our next fourth down conversion comes on another drag this time by BP. Grier steps up in a decent pocket with rushers closing from the outside. The defender between him and BP has to make a choice. Chase Grier or cover Powell and let Grier run. The defender hesitates then takes a step toward Grier. Advantage gators as WG makes another good throw and a few shifty moves by BP takes it down to the 5 where we score two plays later.

Drive 2- Winner, winner, chicken dinner
-1st- Good call by Nuss on the screen to Taylor. Reeves Maybin (who is a hell of a player by the way) manages to slip behind a couple blockers after reading the play , and makes a nice tackle on taylor behind LOS.
-2nd and 14- Grier comes left on a 10 yard stop to Drob. Robinson has the football , but tries to make a defender miss him before securing it. Drop
-3rd and 14- This one is key here. Another play out of several that Treon probably doesn't make. Taylor is to Grier's left after the snap. Barnett bullrushes and whips the RT Halter closing in on #7. With one of the better DL in the SEC draped over him, WG manages to get rid of the football out of bounds near Robinson to avoid a grounding or obviously devastating sack. Again, a big play that at the time didn't seem like much, and one that TH probably doesn't make.

-4th and 14. I watched this one about 15 times. Wanted to see exactly what Nuss and Mac wanted to do here.
Play design, execution etc. All done beautifully. We go with four WR (NO Jake). Trips to the right (far side). Robinson to the left which is the top of the screen. I believe Taylor is to Grier's left. Thought this was surprising given the bull rush on the previous play by Barnett.The ball is snapped and Barnett instead of a bull rush this time goes for the speed rush. In an attempt to run around Halter. Halter does a good job here, and Barnett gets no help from his DL as Grier has a clean pocket to step into. We have Fulwood, Powell, and Calloway split wide to the right. 81 is at the bottom of the screen. Fulwood runs to the sticks and stops. Presumably to occupy the safety to that side of the field. Mac wants man coverage for Powell or 81. BP runs about 12 to 14 and darts to his right on the corner route. Calloway goes about 4 yards past the sticks and comes in on the square in. Grier reads it beautifully . The irony here is that Grier doesn't go for the home run ball. Which would've been the corner route to Powell. A tough throw even for an accurate QB like Grier with little margin for error. He goes for the sure thing, and when the ball leaves Will's hand he is likely thinking 1st down, Let's get the next play in , and beat these jokers. Instead Calloway secures the football and spins to his left (the right sideline where he knows he has help from his buddy BP). He secures the football in his right arm , like a seasoned veteran to keep away from a potential defender. He throws his left hand out as if to gesture to BP, Get in front of these guys and i'll trust my speed. That he
did .Game over vols.

Yeah, but you ain't got Grier now, do you? I've enjoyed watching the Gators building an impressive record over the season knowing with Freon Harris at the helm it was just a matter of time before the Florida Gators crashed and burned. Your meltdown at the Swamp against the Noles with be a little pop goes the weasel compared to the thermonuclear blast you'll endure in Atlanta against the Crimson Tide.

So let it be written.
So let it be done.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but you ain't got Grier now, do you? I've enjoyed watching the Gators building an impressive record over the season knowing with Freon Harris at the helm it was just a matter of time before the Florida Gators crashed and burned. Your meltdown at the Swamp against the Noles with be a little pop goes the weasel compared to the thermonuclear blast you'll endure in Atlanta against the Crimson Tide.

So let it be written.
So let it be done.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post Alvin.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

So let it be written.
So let it be done.
It'll be even more enjoyable watching the inbreds shyt the bed in their bowl game against some 5 loss B1G team.

We appreciate your idiot AD giving Butch a raise and an extension too based off 8 wins :lol:

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014

They do call it. Treon generally likes to watch the receiver run open. Then Treon decides to roll out with the receiver still open, and generally he then decides to throw the ball out of bounds or run out of bounds for a loss.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They do call it. Treon generally likes to watch the receiver run open. Then Treon decides to roll out with the receiver still open, and generally he then decides to throw the ball out of bounds or run out of bounds for a loss.

Sometimes he throws it at their feet

gooneygoogoo

Dec 3, 2015
To me the most amazing thing about that 4th and 14 throw is if you pause it at the moment Grier decides to throw, it doesn't look like Callaway is open at all. Grier anticipated him coming open and that is what separates him from all of the qbs we've had since '09. Anticipation and pre-snap reads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator