We’re moving in the right direction

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know it hurts. I know this is the worst defense we have probably ever seen at UF.

We have decent talent but a lot of position-less players and a lot of bad habits with our veterans. We’ve watched the defense go backwards under choker for 3 straight years.

We have a young an inexperienced DC that is going through growing pains.

But the program is light-years beyond what it was even last year. The recruiting is the best we’ve seen since Urban Meyer. And unlike the last three staffs, this one works tirelessly.

I am impatient. That game last night was vomitus. But we are headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know it hurts. I know this is the worst defense we have probably ever seen at UF.

We have decent talent but a lot of position-less players and a lot of bad habits with our veterans. We’ve watched the defense go backwards under choker for 3 straight years.

We have a young an experienced DC that is going through growing pains.

But the program is light-years beyond what it was even last year. The recruiting is the best we’ve seen since Urban Meyer. And unlike the last three staffs, this one works tirelessly.

I am impatient. That game last night was vomitus. But we are headed in the right direction.
Pumper :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure about heading in the right direction. I think it's too soon to judge either way.

Some areas, like penalties, have improved drastically.

Recruiting, as of now, seems to be headed in the right direction (top 4 in the SEC) but no one's signed yet. Still a long way to go before ESD.

I'll be looking for an adjustment in philosophy on 3rd down defense. Last in the country. The worst. Do the opposite going forward.

There is some time to heal during the bye which will help a very thin team.

Early signing day - they need to knock it out of the ballpark.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I think toney's first year at ULL was abysmal too. His second was servicable and his third was good. I don't know if that will be tolerated here or not. I just don't see how we can be so awful on third down.

I hope the recruiting ends well on ESD but as I've said, hope isn't a strategy. We will see where it goes from here. I just hope we get bowl eligible and beat FSU. Lord knows we need the extra practice time before the bowls.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When he talks about the right direction, he mostly means a multitude of things away from the play field. He acknowledged the lack of talent and the bad habits.

Most importantly (and I have a lot of respect for J), we're doing all the little things that almost invariably point a program in the direction of success.

Napier isn't as much a fixer as he is a builder. That mean a longer, more tedious process. There's no assurance he will return us to glory. There is a high likelihood we'll be better, maybe even substantially better a year from now. We'll continue to build from there.

It's a relatively low-risk, high-reward approach. It simply requires something our fans are understandably lacking after a dozen years of agony. More patience.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Some of the things that support movement in right direction:
1. recruiting
2. culture, at least what we see outwardly represented
3. Plan/commitment to winning like a high level program (not sure if the plan is right, but just getting the resources committed is a huge change from before)
4. reduced sloppy penalties
5. best players seem to be playing
6. accountability for f-ups. Yet to see a presser where he has blamed players, costumes or anything else but coaching staff
7. the best players seem to be ones that either came with him or he recruited to his system.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No we're not j. We will never win anything with Napier. If we fix the defense, the offense will still be to slow . The game clock management is terrible. The overall lack of urgency and aggressiveness is what will cost him his job and it's why he was in so many close games at ULL. Hopefully he continues to recruit at a high clip and can be a good bridge guy. But mark my words, he is not the answer. And will not make 3 years. And this season is going to get very ugly.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm done pretending he's not a milk the clock ball control coach. We've tried this twice now. I'd like to know one coach that is still winning this way?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No we're not j. We will never win anything with Napier. If we fix the defense, the offense will still be to slow . The game clock management is terrible. The overall lack of urgency and aggressiveness is what will cost him his job and it's why he was in so many close games at ULL. Hopefully he continues to recruit at a high clip and can be a good bridge guy. But mark my words, he is not the answer. And will not make 3 years. And this season is going to get very ugly.
For someone who was all on board to jump ship says a lot.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Worst in the nation on 3rd down speaks for itself. It's demoralizing to the whole team. Do something different already. We need to stop all the gimmicks in the stands. No keys jingling, No "Money Down" fingers, No Pimp Cane, No nothing. Just sit there in silence with fingers crossed and hope to God that the opposing QB is confused by the deafening silence and misses his throw. We suck worse than Vandy on 3rd down. How is this possible at DBU? What a joke of ourselves we've become. Thanks Dan Mullet, thumb-wrestling champion of Ocala.

I have lost faith. I no longer believe that French Fried Potators can pull off this rebuild. He need to stack two top 10 recruiting classes in a row and fire some underperforming coaches to even have a chance of being competitive. He'll be fired mid-way through his 4th season.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Evidence is mounting that Billy is a good recruiter and a subpar game day coach. He will need to be a great recruiter and at least average game manager to get us back to where we need to be.

The truth is the HC gig is about to get 3 times easier with the expanded playoff so there’s going to be no excuse for not having a coach who can get us in the top 12 most years.

Come on Billy, keep working the CEO position and program ambassador part of the job that seem to be your strengths, and the recruiting trail and associated NIL war chest. But FFS, hire an OC and someone who knows how to use timeouts.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we can all agree that among the many things that did in Mullen, stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt were high on the list.

Listen to Napier describe his appreciation for Saban.

“Overall, (he's) just a very disciplined person, in terms of how he uses his time. Phenomenal leader, always very well prepared. Always evolving. Willing to adjust, willing to adapt. Always quality controlling everything we did. We take much of the same approach in how we operate.”

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Worst in the nation on 3rd down speaks for itself. It's demoralizing to the whole team. Do something different already. We need to stop all the gimmicks in the stands. No keys jingling, No "Money Down" fingers, No Pimp Cane, No nothing. Just sit there in silence with fingers crossed and hope to God that the opposing QB is confused by the deafening silence and misses his throw. We suck worse than Vandy on 3rd down. How is this possible at DBU? What a joke of ourselves we've become. Thanks Dan Mullet, thumb-wrestling champion of Ocala.

I have lost faith. I no longer believe that French Fried Potators can pull off this rebuild. He need to stack two top 10 recruiting classes in a row and fire some underperforming coaches to even have a chance of being competitive. He'll be fired mid-way through his 4th season.
We’ve never been DBU

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Evidence is mounting that Billy is a good recruiter and a subpar game day coach. He will need to be a great recruiter and at least average game manager to get us back to where we need to be.

The truth is the HC gig is about to get 3 times easier with the expanded playoff so there’s going to be no excuse for not having a coach who can get us in the top 12 most years.

Come on Billy, keep working the CEO position and program ambassador part of the job that seem to be your strengths, and the recruiting trail and associated NIL war chest. But FFS, hire an OC and someone who knows how to use timeouts.
Where is this good recruiting everyone speaks of? I haven’t seen much more than average and no one has signed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator