We owe AR a HUGE apology

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Theologator posted this in the game thread and it has a pretty good breakdown of Mertz's performance.

Of the five sacks, it points out two Mertz should have made the play:

The offensive line has its assignments right here. Utah brings its two linebackers on a blitz, leaving right tackle Damieon George (#76) and tight end Jonathan Odom (#87) matched up against Utah’s two defensive ends. George gets beat to the outside, but there is a clear pocket for Mertz to step up into and he has a man (Caleb Douglas, #4) coming open across the middle. But Mertz slips on the turf as he works his way up into the pocket. At that point, Odom’s man races to secure the sack.

This one’s on Mertz. Utah brings six rushers and Florida only has five blockers. When the tight end goes out into a route, the defensive end (Logan Fano, #0) has a free run at Mertz. But this also means Mertz has man coverage across the board. Montrell Johnson (#2) comes open across the middle but Mertz pumps and pulls the ball down, creating the sack.

It also has an overall assessment of Mertz's performance (although I'd add in the free play Mertz wasted by running out of bounds):

Heismertz
I don’t want to be too negative about Graham Mertz because he did exactly what we should have expected given his track record. While his counting stats (333 yards, 70.5% completions) look great, his efficiency numbers do not.

Mertz’ 333 yards required 44 passes to achieve. That puts him at 7.6 yards per attempt. The average in college football last year was 7.6. Last season Mertz averaged 7.5. With his one TD and one INT, the result is a QB rating of 137.7, which is a below average performance.

But that isn’t the only part of Mertz’ performance. We also have the sacks discussed in the previous section. Yes, some of those were on the offensive line, but a more mobile QB would be able to pick up his offensive line when they didn’t come through, and Mertz doesn’t have that skill.

Using my proprietary stat, Yards Above Replacement (YAR), which takes into account a QBs rushing and passing contributions and where zero is average, -1.0 is bad, +1.0 is really good and +2.0 is Heisman-level, Mertz was at -0.95. For his career at Wisconsin, Mertz had a YAR of -1.02.

The most concerning thing to me was that Mertz only averaged 10.7 yards per completion. Considering he had 37-yard pass to Marcus Burke and a 40-yard pass to Ricky Pearsall, he only averaged 8.8 yards per completion on the other 29 completions. That suggests he was throwing into traffic quite a bit.

Here’s an example. There is 5:34 left in the game and Florida is at mid-field down 13 points. There is still time to make a run at it, but time conservation is critical. Utah is threatening at the line of scrimmage, but you’d expect the Utes to drop into a zone here because they want Florida to run clock. That’s exactly what they do.

Except they completely forget to pick up Eugene Wilson (#3) as he comes across the formation. Mertz fits the ball into Caleb Douglas (#4) for a 12-yard gain, but it was in a tight space where Douglas had zero chance to run after the catch. Had Mertz swung the ball out to Wilson he would have likely picked up 10 yards minimum, and he also would have had the ability to make a big play if he could make someone miss.

Here’s another example. On the telecast, Kirk Herbstreit was begging Mertz to throw the ball to Ricky Pearsall (#1). You can see why as Pearsall has a 10-yard cushion versus Douglas (#4), who has the DB playing right up on him.

Again, Mertz completes the pass. But Douglas isn’t going anywhere after the catch whereas Pearsall would have had a chance to pick up significant yards after the catch if he could have made one man miss with a running start.

Florida got first downs on both of these plays. But they also started this drive with 5:59 left on the clock and finally turned it over on downs with 1:39 left. Even if they had scored, the game was essentially over and a big part of that was not getting the ball to their players with space to run.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title is ridiculous. AR would have come up limping on the first drive and been a rattled, sulky mess the rest of the game. He would have thrown for about 90 yards.
I couldn’t agree more. Thursday night and the bowl game was 100 percent on Anthony . No question . I don’t care if he was on the other side of the country .

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
As much as I appreciated His contributions and accepted his deficiencies, we don't owe him squat; let's call it even. Now, Mullen, McElwain, and Muschamp are the ones who owe Gator Nation an abundance of apologies and gratitude for making them millionaires and setting the program years back. As a matter of fact, add to the UAA and Jeremy Foley to the list of failure.
Fu(k an apology. I want the $150 million back we wasted on those fu(ktards.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Our RB's had 12 carries for 43 yards. If we don't have a running game Mertz will get killed before the season is over. Here's the thing..every team we play is going to stack the box and play one safety probably in middle of the field to read deep routes only. We will need to muster enough of a passing attack to at least make them respect it if we are going to change the ground game with this line.

1693832998473.png

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
No he wouldn't have. Do I have to go over some box scores from last year with you? And that was with a much better OL.

AR hated to run. If he had loved to run, he may have won the friggin' Heisman Trophy.
It seemed he was protecting his 8 figure payday all season.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They were tearing through the line with 4 man rushes.
Richie Leonard did not play well at all. More than once I saw him get torched on a stunt. Takes me back to Halapio.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Trade em both. We need the help

Tribute I Volunteer GIF

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
No. No he did not.
This was in response to “Mertz played well.” It was met with near universal derision, except for Read and Reaction/Will Miles observing the same and then this league worst QBR. Ooof.

Ironically, I’ve noted Mertz wasn’t the top of the list of issues, but he wasn’t good either. The more detailed analytics proved it.

For instance, his biggest gain was one of his worst throws and something we saw all offseason - an under throw. Pearsall was 8 yards behind his defender and was so underthrown that he not only didn’t score, he had what seemed to be zero YAC.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
This was in response to “Mertz played well.” It was met with near universal derision, except for Read and Reaction/Will Miles observing the same and then this league worst QBR. Ooof.

Ironically, I’ve noted Mertz wasn’t the top of the list of issues, but he wasn’t good either. The more detailed analytics proved it.

For instance, his biggest gain was one of his worst throws and something we saw all offseason - an under throw. Pearsall was 8 yards behind his defender and was so underthrown that he not only didn’t score, he had what seemed to be zero YAC.

I was a little confused by this. How can guy who completed 70% and had over 300 yards be last in the league. Then I remembered that the rest of the league feasted on cupcakes in Week 1. I'm not overly concerned about Mertz. He seemed competent. And tough. The guy is going to take a beating playing like he did on Thursday night. Let's hope he holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator