Wed 3/30 Practice Report

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good info on yesterday's practice:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/sights-sounds-notes-from-florida-football-practice-3

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Florida football team worked in the indoor practice facility Wednesday for the second consecutive day this week.

This latest session was the 11th practice of the spring for the Gators, with only three more to go until the Orange & Blue Debut takes place on April 8.

Check out our notes from the open portion of Wednesday’s practice as well as some video below:

• Offensive starters in the fastball period: quarterback Austin Appleby, running back Jordan Cronkrite, receivers Dre Massey, Chris Thompson and C.J. Worton, tight end C’yontai Lewis, offensive linemen (left to right) Fred Johnson, Antonio Riles, T.J. McCoy, Tyler Jordan and David Sharpe.
  • Defensive starters in the fastball period (nickel package): defensive linemen Bryan Cox Jr., Taven Bryan, Joey Ivie and Jordan Sherit, linebackers Alex Anzalone and Jarrad Davis, cornerbacks Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson, nickelback Duke Dawson and safeties Marcus Maye and Nick Washington.
  • Bryan and Worton were running with the first team in place of Caleb Brantley (sick) and Ahmad Fulwood (leg), respectively. Massey was back in the starting lineup after missing time with a minor leg injury and made a reception.
  • Other than Massey’s catch, however, the offense didn’t have much success during the fastball period. Tabor nearly picked off a pass intended for Worton.
  • Justus Reed had trouble getting leverage in the one-on-one drill between defensive ends and tight ends. D-line coach Chris Rumph was not happy with Reed’s rep and made him do it over (see below).
  • Quarterbacks Appleby, Luke Del Rio and Kyle Trask all took reps during the half-skeleton drill. Apply connected with tight end DeAndre Gooslby and Worton, but the secondary forced him into several coverage sacks.
  • Del Rio completed more passes, but had hit his check-down man a few times. He was almost intercepted by safety Chauncey Gardner, but rebounded with a touchdown throw to Joshua Hammond. Fellow freshman Freddie Swain also caught a pair of passes from Del Rio.
  • Trask hit three consecutive passes during his turn, including two beautiful balls on corner routes to receivers Case Harrison and Ryan Sousa.
  • Former Florida defensive tackle Jonathan Bullard was on hand for practice.
Coach Rumph is NOT happy with Justus Reed. Just a week left until the Spring Game. #Gators pic.twitter.com/557d1d8fjU

— Fernando Juncadella (@FJuncadella) March 30, 2016

Jordan Sherit vs DeAndre Goolsby #Gators pic.twitter.com/YgTRlgnYrz

— Nick de la Torre (@NickdelaTorreGC) March 30, 2016

Jabari Zuniga vs DeAndre Goolsby #Gators pic.twitter.com/AGJeneWyJV

Good rep between C’yontai Lewis and Keivonnis Davis pic.twitter.com/u1WWebN8m0

Bryan Cox Jr. vs Moral Stephens #Gators pic.twitter.com/leguAWCst1

Austin Appleby throwing the ball to you. Don’t drop it pic.twitter.com/WmRIG2Dk5M

Coach Collins working with the safeties. #Gators pic.twitter.com/jNwzuiV8RL

— Fernando Juncadella (@FJuncadella) March 30, 2016

Bryan Cox Jr. & Marcus Maye lead swamp jacks today pic.twitter.com/R9Q1qd4ScG

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like Gardner may be a big guy for us this year

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not there, but I'm a little worried about LDR. I keep reading about him checking down. That could be good or bad. Doing it to much is a bad thing.

Where is Franks? Did he not play? Did he suck? I want to hear how both Trask and Franks are doing. They are the future.

Riles? No wonder the offense didn't look good. Hide that part from Law.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not there, but I'm a little worried about LDR. I keep reading about him checking down. That could be good or bad. Doing it to much is a bad thing.

Where is Franks? Did he not play? Did he suck? I want to hear how both Trask and Franks are doing. They are the future.

Riles? No wonder the offense didn't look good. Hide that part from Law.

It's a good thing if there's no one else open but I agree checking down too much is bad... Riles is only there because Ivey is out for the spring

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In respect to them, our defense makes most offenses look offensive. Hold Michigan...
Yea, Im not buying that. Our defense was good last year, but they were far from great, and we lost a number of top players. Maybe they end up being really good, but right now im not convinced. And honestly, I don't care if our defense is great, because there's a bunch of other good ones they will see in conference play. I'm really sick and tired of what has become of the offense.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's Spring so timing with Appleby, Trask, and Franks might be still a work in progress.. and the offensive line sounds like a work in progress. These things need to tighten up in the Fall.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Yea, Im not buying that. Our defense was good last year, but they were far from great, and we lost a number of top players. Maybe they end up being really good, but right now im not convinced. And honestly, I don't care if our defense is great, because there's a bunch of other good ones they will see in conference play. I'm really sick and tired of what has become of the offense.

Yeah a top 10 defense without any serviceable LB's outside of Davis isn't great.../s

Our defense gave up on the offense last year and it was noticeable once we got down by a TD

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I read on TOS that Del Rio threw four INT's on Monday's practice this week...

Really though, we act like he's a savior but who knows what we are going to get with a guy who has transferred twice and only played a handful of snaps at O St.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
We may, indeed, have gone from a non-starter QB (TH, more like non-QB QB), to a four-deep non-starter QB roster. We won't know until we know.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with you about the offense but the defense was top 10 in nearly every category, hard not to call that great especially when they had little to no help offensively late in the year. Granted they didn't play well vs Tennessee, had one bad quarter vs LSU and a bad game vs Mich. regardless they were a great defense and with a competent offense we will be contenders.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's why I'm just hoping for a game manager. Coker didn't light the world on fire, but he let the system work

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tabor and Wilson are studs at corner so it wouldn't surprise me if the primary option isn't open much. I'm going to choose to take the QB working through his progressions as a positive after 4 years of watching them stare down the primary option and then run out of bounds when it was covered.
:pumper:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with you about the offense but the defense was top 10 in nearly every category, hard not to call that great especially when they had little to no help offensively late in the year. Granted they didn't play well vs Tennessee, had one bad quarter vs LSU and a bad game vs Mich. regardless they were a great defense and with a competent offense we will be contenders.

Great defenses don't give up 180+ rushing yards to one RB in a game. Our "great" defense did it against THREE different RBs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Great defenses don't give up 180+ rushing yards to one RB in a game. Our "great" defense did it against THREE different RBs.
Florida%20Gators%20florida%20football%20third%20spring%20practice%20march%2020%202015%20Florida%20Gators%20defensive%20coordinator%20Geoff%20Collins%20spit%20hat%20backwards-L.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tabor and Wilson are studs at corner so it wouldn't surprise me if the primary option isn't open much.
Well, going against Tabor, Wilson, Gardner and Dawson should make them grow up in a hurry. I'd rather see one checking down than throwing INTs when it isn't there.

You don't learn anything about how good they are if they are throwing to WRs wearing #43 against CBs wearing #37. How "good" they look against the 3rd teamers means nothing.

Last edited:

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you must not realize without our defense we wouldn't have saw a bowl at all last year....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator