Wednesday Worsts… Workplace accidents

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

California mom, 27, is killed after being run over by LAWNMOWER while laying down in park: Stricken family say they found 'big chunks' of her body strewn on ground afterwards​

• Christine Chavez was lying in Beard Brook Park in Modesto when she was killed
  • The grass cutter was only able to spot her body after he'd mowed her over
  • Family were disturbed to still find pieces of Chavez left behind at the scene

So many questions

The air mattress in our tent Saturday had a leak and was completely flat by just after 1am. A miserable night on the ground and my neck still hurts. Not a perfect apples/apples with this Christine’s outdoor sleeping adventure, but pretty damn close.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

California mom, 27, is killed after being run over by LAWNMOWER while laying down in park: Stricken family say they found 'big chunks' of her body strewn on ground afterwards​

• Christine Chavez was lying in Beard Brook Park in Modesto when she was killed
  • The grass cutter was only able to spot her body after he'd mowed her over
  • Family were disturbed to still find pieces of Chavez left behind at the scene

So many questions
A grass catcher and mulching blade would have mitigated the extent of the mess.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A grass catcher and mulching blade would have mitigated the extent of the mess.
They should just hire a second person to do a walk thru of the grounds prior to mowing to look for the sleeping people. That’s what I do when I cut the pasture. Maybe put a horn on the tractor and toot it every 30 seconds. Tractors can be so quiet you know.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Family didn't care about her until now. Seen this before. They hit the lottery.
No way in hell will my kids or grandkids ever be homeless so long as I have a roof over my head. If they're total douche bags i'll stick them in my camper... it's 5x8

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
They should just hire a second person to do a walk thru of the grounds prior to mowing to look for the sleeping people. That’s what I do when I cut the pasture. Maybe put a horn on the tractor and toot it every 30 seconds. Tractors can be so quiet you know.
Pretty tragic way to go. A tractor with a pull behind makes a horrendous amount of noise. She wasn't just asleep, she was passed out.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Pretty tragic way to go. A tractor with a pull behind makes a horrendous amount of noise. She wasn't just asleep, she was passed out.
Just how tall was the grass/weeds that she couldn't be seen before being hit?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just how tall was the grass/weeds that she couldn't be seen before being hit?
So many questions. Not to judge but a 27 year old mother doesn't just nap in tall grass however the family the probably get millions. The operator didn't even notice that he ran over her until the second pass. I cut our pasture with a tractor and a finishing mower and have gone through knee high grass and brush before. The tractor would still feel the "bump" with the wheels before the mower hit her unless it was a massive tractor. It's an awful way to die. I'd have PTSD if I were the driver.

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Saw a guy fall from the roof of a 14 story condo when I was 16. We were on the 10th floor or so working and just saw him come flying by. Well, not flying, more like flailing. Never made a sound. Hit the 4th floor pool fence.

Earlier that day, we were moving building material into unfinished condo units using the construction crane and the idiot who was there with me stumbled into me with his arms full of stuff while I was on the balcony, no rail as it had to be removed. I am literally pushing against 2 tons of building material to keep from falling from the 10th floor. Luckily the other guy was able to grab me by the back of the pants and pull me back to the balcony.

Never wanted to be higher than 3rd floor since. Can't stand heights. I literally ache when going up in an elevator higher than 5 or 6 floors.

When the guy fell, OSHA came out and in their wisdom, started enforcing a bunch of regs that prevented me from having to go back to that hell hole as I was under 18.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
A friend of mine worked on radio towers. Really tall towers. He told me about an incident where he and a coworker were climbing a 1000+ foot tower. Andy was leading the way up and was a couple hundred feet above his coworker when the coworker fell. Andy said that the guy fell a couple hundred feet and landed on the roof of some type of platform which was about 300 feet above the ground. While falling though, he kept hitting the cross braces which flipped him multiple times. They also kept breaking his fall so that when he landed on the platform, he was badly injured, but alive. He even managed to live after that but I don't' know if he continued climbing towers or not. My buddy did for a while longer but now he doesn't.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Had a pest control tech fall through the roof of the warehouse at the plant I managed in GA. Numbnutz stepped on a fiberglass skylight panel and fell about 18 feet to the concrete floor. Only had a broken arm to show for his dumbassery.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A friend of mine worked on radio towers. Really tall towers. He told me about an incident where he and a coworker were climbing a 1000+ foot tower. Andy was leading the way up and was a couple hundred feet above his coworker when the coworker fell. Andy said that the guy fell a couple hundred feet and landed on the roof of some type of platform which was about 300 feet above the ground. While falling though, he kept hitting the cross braces which flipped him multiple times. They also kept breaking his fall so that when he landed on the platform, he was badly injured, but alive. He even managed to live after that but I don't' know if he continued climbing towers or not. My buddy did for a while longer but now he doesn't.

So Andy didn’t make it. Buddy did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.