Wednesday Worsts...Amusement park or carnival rides

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm about 25min from Hershey Park. The Wildcat was their oldest wooden roller coaster, they are shutting it down after this summer and dismantling it. I assume they'll put another high speed monster like they have done every other year or so. I was ok with wooden coasters, they have their thing. But the world moves on.

Growing up, I loved the Gravitron or other spinning rides that sent you out against the walls. Helped feed my interest in physics. Sometime after my 20's (binge drinking era) I lost my ability to spin. I get nauseous just looking at rides like that. There was a cousin to that, I think the travelling fair called it the zipper or something? You are put in a 2-3 person roll cage that can spin you in a summersault, and all the cages were spinning on a fixture like a giant Ferris wheel, it may be that the ferris wheel part was more like a long stick that moved the cages around that track in addition to the larger Ferris wheel spin thereby wreaking havoc on your individual cage spins. I always hated that one.

EDIT: video of zipper

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm about 25min from Hershey Park. The Wildcat was their oldest wooden roller coaster, they are shutting it down after this summer and dismantling it. I assume they'll put another high speed monster like they have done every other year or so. I was ok with wooden coasters, they have their thing. But the world moves on.

Growing up, I loved the Gravitron or other spinning rides that sent you out against the walls. Helped feed my interest in physics. Sometime after my 20's (binge drinking era) I lost my ability to spin. I get nauseous just looking at rides like that. There was a cousin to that, I think the travelling fair called it the zipper or something? You are put in a 2-3 person roll cage that can spin you in a summersault, and all the cages were spinning on a fixture like a giant Ferris wheel, it may be that the ferris wheel part was more like a long stick that moved the cages around that track in addition to the larger Ferris wheel spin thereby wreaking havoc on your individual cage spins. I always hated that one.

I used to be fine on the rides too but now motion sickness is an issue on the bad rides.
Somewhere along the way a nurse once asked me if I get motion sick and I said yes. Now it's listed as a medical condition in my chart. :facepalm:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
That rickety-ass wooden rollercoaster at Miracle Strip in Panama City Beach
Middle school memories man. That place was awesome. Shipwreck Island in the day and then come back at night for Miracle Strip.

This might not be the most popular, but I hated the ride at Universal in the Harry Potter castle. I don't know if it was always like that or just because of COVID things they had to put in, but when the thing came down on my head I could barely move my arms because of how tight the seat was with the dividers.

Another one that was horribe and thank God they tore it down but Animal Kingdom had that Triceratops Whirl or whatever. Basically spinning buckets that went all over a track. Both me and my wife got off with bruises and a sore back.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
1657721834203.png

1657721872963.png

6 Flags over N.O. (East)....So bad that after Katrina it was left abandoned.

Now featured in many sci fi and apocalypse films​

Attachments

• 1657721563314.png
    1657721563314.png
    475.8 KB · Views: 8

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Sky Ride, Sky Lift, or whatever else you want to call this ride. I have visions of them simply rolling off of the cable as it goes across one of the poles that keeps the cable elevated. Used to ride them when I was much younger but even then I never felt very safe. Now, I'd rather just walk to the other side of the park than ride one...

sfge_sky_ride_1440x1533_0-768x818.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Worst ride? I think her name was Brenda but it’s still a bit foggy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know it’s a legend, and it was my first ever experience on a roller coaster so it special to me, but Space Mountain is not enjoyable. My neck and back hurt every time I’ve ridden it as an adult.

Along the same lines, I agree with @AuggieDosta on Test Track. The end, where they just open it up and you’re going around the track is actually good. And my kids do enjoy building/designing their car. But the whole “let’s test the breaks and jerk people back and forth for traction and response tests” is completely unnecessary and not fun at all. I just spent an hour on the Turnpike doing stop and go and slamming on breaks from high speeds. I’m good.

Good call by @gingerlover on the Triceratops ride. Didn’t know they tore it down, but it also was a jerky disaster.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Disney World's Tiki Room

Attachments

• 1657728267103.png
    1657728267103.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
We would stay in Mexico Beach every summer and make the trek over to The Miracle Strip and Petticoat Junction.

One time - ('76 I think) my buddy and I were going to try The Zipper at Petticoat Junction and as we were about 50 feet away, we hear a loug groan and a SHOWER of vomit begins flowing from one of the top cars. Looked like a rainshower of mushroom soup.

Kept walking right on by while suppressing the gag reflex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We would stay in Mexico Beach every summer and make the trek over to The Miracle Strip and Petticoat Junction.

One time - ('76 I think) my buddy and I were going to try The Zipper at Petticoat Junction and as we were about 50 feet away, we hear a loug groan and a SHOWER of vomit begins flowing from one of the top cars. Looked like a rainshower of mushroom soup.

Kept walking right on by while suppressing the gag reflex.

Yeah I don’t do Fairs anymore, but the Zipper, as a kid, was the ride.

Btw, 100 bucks says the person throwing up was named Brenda. That’s another known trait.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There is only one amusement park on the planet that matters for rides, and that is Cedar Point, period. All others are an absolute joke and waste of money compared to Cedar Point.

They only had one ride I ever hated, and as CD mentioned, it was 100% wood, but gigantic (a mile long), and it rattled my back like nothing else, I hated every second of that ride: "Mean Streak." It was painful. They rebuilt it a few years ago as the first hybrid hypercoaster in the world incorporating steel, lengthening the track, and increasing the height, and apparently now one of the top rated coasters in the world.

Again, Cedar Point is AWESOME, nothing comes close to comparing. If you have never gone, it is worth the trip even if it's your only destination for that trip (but Niagara Falls is only a few hours away).

The old Mean Streak:
1.jpg

The new Steel Vengeance:
2.jpg

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Space mountain in 1987. We went to Disney World after my brother's wedding in Lauderdale. My daughter had survived brain tumor surgery and she wanted to ride Space Mountain. She sat in my lap so I could hold her. It was fine until the drop and the lights went out. She cried and asked for it to stop and I had to hold her to keep her from getting hurt so I couldn't keep me from bouncing around. I was bruised all over I think. We got out of the car and she immediately said, "Daddy, can we do it again?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator