Week 1 Coaches on the Hot Seat

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When will these A.D.'s learn?

The "system" is broken w/ coaching hires. The coach getting hired generally holds all the cards, unless he's not in demand (like a Matt Luke or a Joe Moorehead). If you want to pull a sitting head coach that coach (and his agent) have the upper hand, especially if more than one program comes calling (and they have a choice).

Law used to harp on this, but most of these coaches have the same agent. I believe Butters and Mullen have the same agent - so the agent knows both sides of the deal. It's like using the same realtor to negotiate for the buyer and seller.

If Mullen is another strike out, I'm all for offering the hottest 1AA or D2 coach a $500k contract with huge incentives (such as $100K for every win over 8 regular season wins) w/ a $500K buyout if he's fired. Unless we get the next Urban to take the job, why not hire a hot 1AA coach? Could it possibly get any worse than it did w/ Muschamp or Butters?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Maybe I should reassess my thoughts on Muschimp as a head coach. I just saw where Jacoby Brissett inked a $30M contract, with 20 Large guaranteed. I believe it was Muschimp who helped jump start this young man's career, by NOT playing him. He obviously knew much more that anyone else.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The "system" is broken w/ coaching hires. The coach getting hired generally holds all the cards, unless he's not in demand (like a Matt Luke or a Joe Moorehead). If you want to pull a sitting head coach that coach (and his agent) have the upper hand, especially if more than one program comes calling (and they have a choice).

Law used to harp on this, but most of these coaches have the same agent. I believe Butters and Mullen have the same agent - so the agent knows both sides of the deal. It's like using the same realtor to negotiate for the buyer and seller.

If Mullen is another strike out, I'm all for offering the hottest 1AA or D2 coach a $500k contract with huge incentives (such as $100K for every win over 8 regular season wins) w/ a $500K buyout if he's fired. Unless we get the next Urban to take the job, why not hire a hot 1AA coach? Could it possibly get any worse than it did w/ Muschamp or Butters?
I’d like to see us do what most big time programs do...pick your guy and GO GET HIM! Sadly, we aren’t willing to have that mentality. I’m sure we reach out to the folks we want, but we won’t do what it takes to get them.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I’d like to see us do what most big time programs do...pick your guy and GO GET HIM! Sadly, we aren’t willing to have that mentality. I’m sure we reach out to the folks we want, but we won’t do what it takes to get them.

Sure, but that's going to require an $18 million buyout, which is what we were discussing.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I should reassess my thoughts on Muschimp as a head coach. I just saw where Jacoby Brissett inked a $30M contract, with 20 Large guaranteed. I believe it was Muschimp who helped jump start this young man's career, by NOT playing him. He obviously knew much more that anyone else.
It’s probably a good thing that Muschamp didn’t play Brissett, he would have wound up like every other starting QB that Chimp imparted his football knowledge to, on the scrap heap.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Because then you might end up with something similar to KB’s opening performance this weekend. He was a hot lower division name with ties to the university - you sure you want him leading the team without any FBS experience?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

It’s the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. Folks think they’re getting a deal when in reality they’re getting hosed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Because then you might end up with something similar to KB’s opening performance this weekend. He was a hot lower division name with ties to the university - you sure you want him leading the team without any FBS experience?

I'd prefer a veteran 1AA guy....and like I said earlier, could it be any worse than what Muschamp and Butters did? With a low buyout you move on. But I would hope it never comes to this at UF. I'm just sick of these buyouts and the agents getting over .

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Jimmy Sexton. And if I was a coach I’d hire him too. He’s the best. Has a lot of players too. Not sure if he still is, but was TT’s agent at one time

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the noise in the system has started and it is loud. Most fsu media is still propping wiLLLLLLLLie. But, the fans have completely turned. If he has another year like the last, the boosters will have to decide if they are willing to buy him out at the end of the season.
There's still some fans that support him. There was an fsu fan at my fantasy football draft yesterday. He was claiming that he was still excited for the season and nothing wrong with losing to a solid Boise team. The same kind of mentality that kept muschamp employed here for 4 years.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd prefer a veteran 1AA guy....and like I said earlier, could it be any worse than what Muschamp and Butters did? With a low buyout you move on. But I would hope it never comes to this at UF. I'm just sick of these buyouts and the agents getting over .
I don't think you'd have to work your way down to a1aa coach to not have a big buy out. There's very few jobs better than UF. If a coach wants to get bought out to take a lesser job than so be it. It's pure stupidity on our part to keep doing it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't think you'd have to work your way down to a1aa coach to not have a big buy out. There's very few jobs better than UF. If a coach wants to get bought out to take a lesser job than so be it. It's pure stupidity on our part to keep doing it.

Well the buyout comes in if we have to fire him too.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There's still some fans that support him. There was an fsu fan at my fantasy football draft yesterday. He was claiming that he was still excited for the season and nothing wrong with losing to a solid Boise team. The same kind of mentality that kept muschamp employed here for 4 years.
I trust you did your part to encourage him. Never should be heard a discouraging word. Willie 4 ever!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The consensus among gamecocks at Rivals is that Bentley’s “broken foot”, which somehow never produced the slightest limp or commentary post game—is just a farce. The feeling is he’s just had enough and is mentally destroyed. Predictions are he never plays another down for Usce, uses the redshirt, and transfers to a smaller school to finish. Sound familiar?

This Hilinski’s parents should be arrested for allowing him to join that pattern. Remember, Bentley finished HS early, just so he could enroll a year earlier...in Muschamp’s offense. It’s unreal that anyone continues to fall for this.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well the buyout comes in if we have to fire him too.
Yeah I know it's just stupid. These guys come in here and coast because they're getting paid regardless. Atleast maclewain did. And why would south Carolina give muschamp a big buyout? He had no other offers going for him? These guys are idiots.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah I know it's just stupid. These guys come in here and coast because they're getting paid regardless. Atleast maclewain did. And why would south Carolina give muschamp a big buyout? He had no other offers going for him? These guys are idiots.

These agents know how to capitalize on the slightest bit of blood in the water. To be fair, WM actually overachieved his first year. Probably shouldn’t have even been bowling based on preseason expectations. Guarantee that’s when they struck fear into the AD that he could be elsewhere and they’d be out looking again. All about perception.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The consensus among gamecocks at Rivals is that Bentley’s “broken foot”, which somehow never produced the slightest limp or commentary post game—is just a farce. The feeling is he’s just had enough and is mentally destroyed. Predictions are he never plays another down for Usce, uses the redshirt, and transfers to a smaller school to finish. Sound familiar?

This Hilinski’s parents should be arrested for allowing him to join that pattern. Remember, Bentley finished HS early, just so he could enroll a year earlier...in Muschamp’s offense. It’s unreal that anyone continues to fall for this.
Certainly lends credence to the idea that on field results aren’t necessarily big influencers on recruiting. Some coaches are just really good recruiters.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Certainly lends credence to the idea that on field results aren’t necessarily big influencers on recruiting. Some coaches are just really good recruiters.

So was David Koresh.

As I’ve said before, in any other business, convincing people(much less minors) to make a decision that you know is not in their best interest and could easily kill their career or—if history is any guide—at a minimum delay their reaching the goals they’ve set, would be considered fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.