What did we learn from the USC game

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Me too. He's young and will probably improve whereas Nixon never learned how to play.

I had 8, 9 and 10 year old boys on my recreation team this year who had fewer penalties for false starts and held fewer times than Nixon.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Outside of what has already been mentioned which is pretty obvious (O-line blows at run blocking and Harris is not good), here is what I learned or continued to see.

1. The coaching is capable of calling a better game on offense. The play calling was signifcantly better against USCe than the previous 2 weeks. More screen passes or throws to the backs (don't mean the ball down the field to Cronkrite, which was an awful decision), check. More throws to TE's, check. More roll outs/bootlegs on early downs, check. Granted USCe defense stinks (see Hoke, Jon), but we had some long, time consuming drives which is what we need as the team is currently constructed. We do not have any abiltiy to strike quickly against any above average defense. But that is ok, as I just wanted to give the staff credit for better thought processes.

2. I learned what I already knew. We have ZERO safetys that understand basic coverage in 2 deep. You can't get beat over the top by a mile nursing a 10 point lead late in the 4thQ while in 2 deep. Completely laughable! Basic Safety Play Rule #1: As deep as the deepest! All defenses make mistakes and give up plays during the course of a game. But the best defense in the country (whomever that is, but we all know) does not give up this type of play in this situation nor do they give up a 75 yd. TD run with 1 minute to go in the first half when the team (see Vandy) is conceding the clock!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Treon adds drama to the passing game.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know that we learned anything new.... The offense is just bad with Treon vs. Will. Nothing can be done about that.

Treon doesn't go through his progressions and doesn't have the same mental grasp of the offense that Will did.

This team is still ahead of schedule and we have a bright future

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I had 8, 9 and 10 year old boys on my recreation team this year who had fewer penalties for false starts and held fewer times than Nixon.
Yeah, I had forgotten that part of his game. What I remember is the DE running around him on their way to hurrying or sacking the QB -- very slow feet and probably the reason for his continual jumping the snap. I would hope (fingers crossed) that Sharp will become a good one and live up to expectations.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To mention Treon in the same post as SOS and Danny seems almost sacrilege.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of what has already been mentioned which is pretty obvious (O-line blows at run blocking and Harris is not good), here is what I learned or continued to see.

1. The coaching is capable of calling a better game on offense. The play calling was signifcantly better against USCe than the previous 2 weeks. More screen passes or throws to the backs (don't mean the ball down the field to Cronkrite, which was an awful decision), check. More throws to TE's, check. More roll outs/bootlegs on early downs, check. Granted USCe defense stinks (see Hoke, Jon), but we had some long, time consuming drives which is what we need as the team is currently constructed. We do not have any abiltiy to strike quickly against any above average defense. But that is ok, as I just wanted to give the staff credit for better thought processes.

2. I learned what I already knew. We have ZERO safetys that understand basic coverage in 2 deep. You can't get beat over the top by a mile nursing a 10 point lead late in the 4thQ while in 2 deep. Completely laughable! Basic Safety Play Rule #1: As deep as the deepest! All defenses make mistakes and give up plays during the course of a game. But the best defense in the country (whomever that is, but we all know) does not give up this type of play in this situation nor do they give up a 75 yd. TD run with 1 minute to go in the first half when the team (see Vandy) is conceding the clock!

Post of the year!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sharpe is a man among boys with his size, but he reminds me of Xavier Nixon for some reason.
Remember that Sharpe SHOULD be a redshirt freshman who is still learning the ropes while the upperclassmen get the majority of the snaps.

Except we don't have upperclassmen on the OL.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Remember that Sharpe SHOULD be a redshirt freshman who is still learning the ropes while the upperclassmen get the majority of the snaps.

Except we don't have upperclassmen on the OL.
Yeah....man, if he and Ivey had been allowed to sit a year or play sparingly....they would have been monstrous next year.

Still might be, but trial by fire no doubt.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If there was not much wind, Danny could put it within 2 inches of perfect. Raining or windy?......forget it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Treons numbers would be much higher if he could trust himself to throw the ball before he sees receivers running around waving their hands. I like Treon and I saw improvement last week but he MUST work diligently on his release. We saw how Griers release made up for alot of the porous line issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator