What separates Trask from Franks

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
One is injured and the other stepped up. This thread is redundant and meant to demean one to bolster the other...........im gonna go wash my hands............

I hear what you're saying to a degree--I'm sure there's a tinge of ungratefulness to the thread and the topic itself: Franks appears to be a good teammate and hasn't been involved with any off the field issues. And I'm not saying that to be sanctimonious or anything: I've taken similar potshots at him on here and in conversations outside the forum too.

That said: Franks has an element of responsibility here. He's repeatedly poked at the fanbase with his antics on the field and on social media and it's led to--justified--calls for him to be more mature and focus on the field. You don't see QBs at Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State doing similar stuff and Gator fans are right to observe that as a criticism. Mullen has mostly had a lassiez faire attitude about it all in public: shrugging his shoulders, accepting that's part of the package in exchange for him being the best QB to run his offense presently; but I have to believe he's told him to tone it down in private.

Trask makes it easier to cheer for: he has a good story, a humble attitude, and doesn't have 3 years of engaging in somewhat obnoxious behavior on social media and on the field. Franks doesn't have all the blame in the situation, but he'd be a far more liked QB if there wasn't the history there.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Antics are accepted now and compared to antics I read or see each day his appear mundane. His failing was reading social media (maybe this place) and took it too seriously. I dont know. I know he is part of this winning streak. I have always thought Franks was just a little different in every way. He has a strange look. He looks awkward. He does not look like any QB I have ever seen. But his team mates love him and that works for me. Kyle Trask? I love the guy. He gets the ball out quicker and has performed amazingly after being thrown in there. I love his story. He is a great kid. Excellent post rev12. s

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's a fine line between cocky and cocksuredness.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sticking to football,

1. From watching on tv, Trask appears to go further into his progressions than Franks does.

2. This is guess work, but I never noticed it with Franks. Maybe he does and I didn't see it. But, on a number of occasions I've seen Trask recognize what the D is doing presnap and burns them.

3. He is far more accurate because he has a unique feel of what amount of touch and velocity to put on the ball.

4. His release is faster.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
A leader on the football team doesn’t go jumping around making faces and odd gestures in front of the spectators in the stands. A coach who doesn’t get control of that type of behavior quickly might get away with it as long as the team is winning, but let the team suffer a couple of losses and he can lose control of the locker room.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Antics are accepted now and compared to antics I read or see each day his appear mundane. His failing was reading social media (maybe this place) and took it too seriously. I dont know. I know he is part of this winning streak. I have always thought Franks was just a little different in every way. He has a strange look. He looks awkward. He does not look like any QB I have ever seen. But his team mates love him and that works for me. Kyle Trask? I love the guy. He gets the ball out quicker and has performed amazingly after being thrown in there. I love his story. He is a great kid. Excellent post rev12. s
This, in every respect.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe I read that Trask is a 4.0 student and from what I have also read, Franks is not close to a 4.0 student. I do want to see Trask stop holding the ball so long and get rid of it much quicker... He absolutely does read his progression tree much better and his balls lead the receivers so they catch the ball in stride.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
I'm so much more comfortable watching games when he is in there!!

It’s wild for me to think about as a fan of UF and the Steelers and being totally content with the loss of the starting quarterbacks for both respective teams. It’s actually uncanny the relief I have felt on drop backs both on Saturdays and Sundays. For years I’ve dreaded interceptions. IN one weekend swoop, I didn’t feel that way.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It’s wild for me to think about as a fan of UF and the Steelers and being totally content with the loss of the starting quarterbacks for both respective teams. It’s actually uncanny the relief I have felt on drop backs both on Saturdays and Sundays. For years I’ve dreaded interceptions. IN one weekend swoop, I didn’t feel that way.

#metoo (both teams)

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
I hear what you're saying to a degree--I'm sure there's a tinge of ungratefulness to the thread and the topic itself: Franks appears to be a good teammate and hasn't been involved with any off the field issues. And I'm not saying that to be sanctimonious or anything: I've taken similar potshots at him on here and in conversations outside the forum too.

That said: Franks has an element of responsibility here. He's repeatedly poked at the fanbase with his antics on the field and on social media and it's led to--justified--calls for him to be more mature and focus on the field. You don't see QBs at Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State doing similar stuff and Gator fans are right to observe that as a criticism. Mullen has mostly had a lassiez faire attitude about it all in public: shrugging his shoulders, accepting that's part of the package in exchange for him being the best QB to run his offense presently; but I have to believe he's told him to tone it down in private.

Trask makes it easier to cheer for: he has a good story, a humble attitude, and doesn't have 3 years of engaging in somewhat obnoxious behavior on social media and on the field. Franks doesn't have all the blame in the situation, but he'd be a far more liked QB if there wasn't the history there.

This just got my wheels spinning imagining how we’d view certain players if roles were reversed. By that I mean imagine SOS as a college kid tweeting to the world whatever was on his mind. (I’d love that) or if Tim did not have the exposure and scrutiny. It’s hard to think about it, but If you try to wipe the social media aspect from the equation. Most would have an entirely different opinion about a lot of people they admire from the past. MINDBLOWN.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I'll keep is simple. Trask is a better QB period. Pre-snap reads, catchable and more accurate, humble and clearly did his homework all this time waiting for his chance. As I have said before, hard for me to believe that these two took snaps in all those practices and DM went with Franks.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like FF simply tried to do too much whereas KT seems to view himself as just another cog in the machine.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This just got my wheels spinning imagining how we’d view certain players if roles were reversed. By that I mean imagine SOS as a college kid tweeting to the world whatever was on his mind. (I’d love that) or if Tim did not have the exposure and scrutiny. It’s hard to think about it, but If you try to wipe the social media aspect from the equation. Most would have an entirely different opinion about a lot of people they admire from the past. MINDBLOWN.

Social media is both a blessing and a curse and have heard more than one adult from older generations being glad it wasn't around when they were in their teens and 20s.

With the looming changes coming via legislation and the NCAA to let athletes have greater control over their personal image and likeness, I suspect the smart ones will learn to channel social media into something more broadly appealing. Tebow would have been a multimillionaire by the time he left college with jerseys and autographs, etc. He was widely admired for his talent and his faith.

Presently, guys like Tua or Ehlinger are all pretty classy and fun...elite talents with broad appeal. A guy like Franks? Outside of Gator fans who have to like him as the starting QB, who's going to pony up money for a guy who poses with duck faced pictures on social media and hams it up on the sideline with multiple turnovers in a close, one-possession game?? Same with Winston: no one in college football outside the clowns liked the guy and everyone cheered the humiliating performance against Oregon (I'll never forget watching the fumble and TD at a Firehouse with--no joke--people busting in spontaneous laughter and applause). The guy was detested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator