What to expect from McElwain's offense

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The first thing that popped into my head is that his Alabama offenses ran the best screen plays in college football. You may roll your eyes at that, a screen isn't as sexy as Spurrier's signature "Mills Play" but it says a lot.

A good screen requires a lot of coordination between the QB, the RB, and the OL. It's a hard play to execute correctly. There is a lot of timing and spacing that you have to get just right. You'll see the screen play executed poorly in the NFL on Sundays. Alabama ran that play like clockwork. It was a thing of beauty. I always thought a team that could perfectly execute a good screen play was well-coached.

The next thing that popped into my head was the running game. McElwain had bigger backs at Alabama that he used to great success (much to our chagrin). However, he's also had great success with smaller, shiftier backs at CSU. Remember Dee Hart? He was a running back on the same Orlando Dr. Phillips team as Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. They were best friends, highly ranked recruits, and sort of a package deal to Alabama. Hart is a small back, 5'-9" 190. Hart didn't get to see the field much at Alabama, he had a knee injury, was behind some other backs, they tried him at corner for a bit without success, then he got arrested for weed and Saban booted him off the team to make room for the next 5 star. Hart transferred to CSU. This year he's rushed for over 1,200 yards at a rate of 6.7 yards per carry. So, McElwain's offense can be effective with different sorts of running backs.

My last thought was QB. Who is better suited to running this offense, Harris or Grier? Harris got a lot of experience starting at QB this season but his accuracy was shaky. Maybe that was just the result of his injuries? Harris looks very cool under pressure, not panicky or lost (cough, Driskel, cough) which is very important. Don't know anything about Grier except what we saw in the Spring Game. I guess we wait and see on that one.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is we will see something more similar to CSU than Bama with the players we have here.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I expect balance and competency

"Balance" is defined as not being too run/pass heavy. No more "60 and 6" games (this year's UGA game).
"Competency" is defined as matching conference averages in total yards, points per game, red zone efficiency, 3rd down conversions, etc. Not expecting us to rank #1 in these categories, but if we are in the middle after our first year, I'll be content.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I'd love us to be a team that can run a well timed screen pass. Tired of being on the other end of those. They always get me cursing at the TV.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At CSU this year their run/pass play balance is almost exactly 50/50.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
More than 150 yards passing a game, receivers who can catch a ball, QBs who are accurate, and something called a TE being utilized consistently.

S

socraticsilence

Founding Member
Founding Member
From watching CSU video on Youtube, the team they most resemble offensively is Oklahoma in the late 00s-- primarily shotgun, but with some single back under center stuff. They look nothing like the Arkansas/Alabama crap I was terrified that Foley had just doubled down on.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n123379 said:
More than 150 yards passing a game, receivers who can catch a ball, QBs who are accurate, and something called a TE being utilized consistently.

What's a TE?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n123379 said:

I don't know that we can blame Muschamp for the lack of receiving production from the TE position. We haven't had anybody there with decent hands since...well, crap, since Jordan Reed.

This year was supposed to be different with the UVA transfer Jake McGee but he was injured all season. I think that injury hurt the offense a lot this year.

Clay Burton caught something like 7 balls with no drops in our first game but it was fool's gold. He and Westbrook might not have combined for another 7 catches the rest of the year. I made a joke that we were going to ship all our TE to Africa to fight Ebola because it had been scientifically proven that they were absolutely incapable of catching anything.

I'm curious to see how McElwain uses McGee next season. I don't remember a ton of passes to the TE from McElwain's offenses (not like Roper who threw to them all the time at Duke) but I remember very effective passes to the TE in McElwain's offenses. Lots of TDs and key first downs.

Remember Colin Peek in that 2009 SEC Championship game? He's from Florida. Family full of Gators including his Dad and Uncle who played football for the Gators (I think his Dad was president of Gator Boosters or something for a while). Goes to GaTech then transfers to Alabama (we hired Meyer and he didn't think we were going to use a TE). He killed us in that game. Sounds a lot like McGee, no? Played at an ACC school, transferred to an SEC school? I think a healthy McGee will give us that pass-catching threat at TE we have lacked for so long.

Alex.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we see a lot more than screens and rushing.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n123627 said:
Wouldn't Roper be a good OC fit for what Mac runs? :dunno:

One would tend to assume so, however I will say his play calling this year didn't exactly wow me. Now, I will also acknowledge it's entirely possible Will Muschamp had a lot to do with the ultra conservative calls at times.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n123526 said:
I don't know that we can blame Muschamp for the lack of receiving production from the TE position. We haven't had anybody there with decent hands since...well, crap, since Jordan Reed.

This year was supposed to be different with the UVA transfer Jake McGee but he was injured all season. I think that injury hurt the offense a lot this year.

Clay Burton caught something like 7 balls with no drops in our first game but it was fool's gold. He and Westbrook might not have combined for another 7 catches the rest of the year. I made a joke that we were going to ship all our TE to Africa to fight Ebola because it had been scientifically proven that they were absolutely incapable of catching anything.

I'm curious to see how McElwain uses McGee next season. I don't remember a ton of passes to the TE from McElwain's offenses (not like Roper who threw to them all the time at Duke) but I remember very effective passes to the TE in McElwain's offenses. Lots of TDs and key first downs.

Remember Colin Peek in that 2009 SEC Championship game? He's from Florida. Family full of Gators including his Dad and Uncle who played football for the Gators (I think his Dad was president of Gator Boosters or something for a while). Goes to GaTech then transfers to Alabama (we hired Meyer and he didn't think we were going to use a TE). He killed us in that game. Sounds a lot like McGee, no? Played at an ACC school, transferred to an SEC school? I think a healthy McGee will give us that pass-catching threat at TE we have lacked for so long.

Alex.

McGee was a 5th year senior and it is unlikely he would be granted a 6th year IF he decides to apply for it. He graduated before coming to Florida.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I expect a freakin offense that ranks above the bottom 50 for the first time in about a gozillion years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I expect since Nebraska has historically been a running team he will call a lot of runs.....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n123853 said:
I expect since Nebraska has historically been a running team he will call a lot of runs.....
Dude, whats with you? You used to be a good poster with some interesting perspective. Now your just a troll, and a sad one at that. Just stop bro, everyone is getting really tired of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.