What was your favorite football season?

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I am jonesing for football and freaking out that there might not be a season. We have discussed a lot about favorite players, best teams, etc. What about favorite season? What is YOUR favorite season?

Mine was 1984. i was a Jr, just xfer from Palm Beach Jr. College. UF got hit with the 107 infractions, Pell resigned, starting QB blew out his knee before the season even started. Arguably the best defensive player to ever play at UF had just joined da Bears. Whew....it looked grim.

Then the Gators lose to defending chumps scUM on a last minute drive after the Gators start a walk on QB who drives them to a go ahead TD late in the 4th.

The Gators tie LSU 21-21 and are sitting at 1-1-1 with a 5th string walk on qb, interim fat bald head coach. The season looked lost.

A few wins here, and there and then Bo comes to Gville after a monster game the year before on the plains. The mighty Gator D stifles Bo and holds him to 50-something yards. So frustrated and battered, he takes himself out of the game and the Gators win 24-3.

Onto Jax where the Dwags had won 6 straight. Up until that point, the Gators had only beating AU and UGA back to back three times. The D came to play with the goal line stance at the end of the third qtr and then the Kerwin to Ricky lore to put the game away. You never forget your first and this was my first cocktail party and the best one, even to this day. 27-0. Six years of bent up frustration came out in one spectacular day by the river.

We win the SEC at UK and traffic stops on University Drive. My knee is still f-ed up from getting hit by a car I jumped on the hood, slid down and got hit. But I felt NOTHING!!!! i laughed and high fived the guy driving. No one felt anything that glorious day in Hogtown.

Onto Joke Shambles and the driving rain storm. I got arrested in their south end zone after we destroyed the bleachers. This was our bowl game. I spent the night in Leon County jail for walking away with a piece of the bleachers. Criminal Mischief. Got it expunged. Memory of a lifetime.

Going from a shiit show in September to being the best team in the country (fuuck BYU) by the end of the year, this was my favorite Gator football season. IMO, only 96 and 08 were better teams. But the way this team fought through adversity and won UFs first SEC title, this was a special season.

Things I remember about the 84 season-The Great Wall of Florida, three 1st round running backs (Lorenzo, Neal, and John L), Kerwin to Ricky, tearing down the goalposts in Jax and getting arrested at the erector set.

Chime in if you choose.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1990. Especially the Auburn and LSU games, stomping the **** out of them. UF was done being the SEC whipping boy when our version of Moses returned to Gainesville.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
1996 and it isn't even close. 52-20 will live forever
That is for sure a special season, especially after the schlacking in the MNCG the year before. And the way everything fell into place starting with UT beating Nebraska and pOSU beating ASU.. Booby was shiiting in his depends. Didnt that 96 team top 50 points in all home games?

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
1996. That team was so f+cking fun to watch! Incredible vindication of finally reaching the top of the mountain after so many years of disappointment. Plus, a lot of personal stuff in my life was going great, and everything was just kinda lining up for me. Watching the Gators finally win it all was an unbelievable cherry on top. 2006 was wonderful, as well, but not quite the same level as '96.

My life was an absolute train wreck in '08, and I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I should have.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
2006, nobody expected anything of that team, not only other fans but the "We should have re-hired Steve..Urban sucks" 'fans' were rooting against them all year, they found ways to win, and then in the title game they humiliated osu giving a big finger to the rematch wanters.

1996 and 2008 were awesome, but those teams were expected to win.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1996. It was the culmination of a 7 year saga. It was storybook.

Honorable mention to 1991. Shut-out a good ‘Bama team 35-0 (they didn’t lose again for the next 25 games or something like that). Got revenge on a good Tennessee team with Larry Kennedy’s scintillating pick 6 (the loudest moment in the Swamp until the Cock Block). Both of those games at night. Beat a really good FSU team (after dropping 4 straight) 14-9 in the most intense beginning to end game ever played in the Swamp. It was a war. 1991 was also the first season with the north end zone enclosed making the Swamp the loudest, most intimidating venue in football. Also beat Auburn and Georgia and won our first official SEC Championship. It was a magical season.

Alex.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll take 08 over 96 by the slimmest of margins.
I like Rutledge & Mike P over Spikes & CO,. I like
the 96' backs leaps and bounds above 08'. The only
problem there is you have to include Tebow as part of the rushing
attack. Just about everywhere else except DT is a push or slight edge to 08.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you're a fan of punting, the muschamp era was glorious

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.