What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams? (Poll!)

What should happen with the College Football Playoff?

• Leave it the $%@# alone, it's good enough like it is.

• Keep it at four teams, but change the criteria for getting in.

• Expand it to 8 teams.

• Expand it to 16 teams.

• Eliminate the CFP and go back to #1 vs. #2.

• Something else, which I will explain it my response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams?

I am interested to read it.

I ask this question in light of the ESD results yesterday, showing that talent is increasingly being concentrated in the 5-7 schools that are perceived as perennial favorites to make the 4-team playoff.

Now you can say, well if you expand it to eight teams you are still going to have a concentration of talent. It will just be concentrated in a few more schools, like 10-12 instead of 5-7.

Maybe, but in my opinion it will open things up a lot more. It'll be easier for coaches at other schools to convince recruits that they've got a shot, too. When the top tier expands, so does the pool of teams with the potential to break into it. I could see us starting seasons with as many as 16-20 teams vying for playoff spots.

Expanding the CFP to eight teams will make it easier for regional powers like USC, Texas and yes Florida to convince more elite HS players in their states to stay home instead of going to Clemson or Alabama. That then has a ripple effect; there are always at least one or two regional rivals for each school who are going to benefit by counter-recruiting against them.

That's my opinion but I would like to know if there are some good reasons I have not considered for keeping the CFP at four teams. Or on the other hand, arguments for eliminating the CFP altogether and just going back to the top two teams playing each other.

Thanks for taking my call, I'll hang up and listen.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
for the hell of it..... if they didnt expand the bcs from 2 to 4 .....undefeated clemson the reigning champs would be on the outside looking in....

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
By the way, although I'm obviously a Gator, the impetus behind my desire to expand the CFP is not just to make it easier for Florida to get in. It's more about the fact that although I root for Florida, I am a fan in general of college football, and I'm bored of seeing the same teams at the top every year. I'm sick and tired of Clemson, Bama and Ohio State. I want the top teams to be Florida and a rotating group of others lol

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
The BCS was fine - there was much more BS to spew and more teams thought they had a chance. The only winner in the current system is ESPN and whoever they tout as being worthy. One of the analysts was talking how college football needed to be standardized. Forinstance every team should play 9 conference games. (tell me whats equal 8 SEC conference games or 9 ACC conference games). If you want a standard format for football just watch the NFL, yuck.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, although I'm obviously a Gator, the impetus behind my desire to expand the CFP is not just to make it easier for Florida to get in. It's more about the fact that although I root for Florida, I am a fan in general of college football, and I'm bored of seeing the same teams at the top every year. I'm sick and tired of Clemson, Bama and Ohio State. I want the top teams to be Florida and a rotating group of others lol
You really think expanding it will somehow change it from bama, clemson, ohio state and oklahoma year in and year out? The only thing that would change simply from expansion is another loss to any of those teams for anyone else who plays them, including us if we get in only because of the expansion.

Those teams are in until somebody steps up and starts out recruiting them and outscoring them, and that includes us.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many years are their 5 teams with legit arguments to be in the Championship game, hell this year there is only 3. Leave it as it is. There is too much money being made to go back.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For starters there are feminine men in prison who are genuinely concerned for what's about to happen to Oklahoma.

This is one of the few years where it's probably a good thing we do have 4 spots. But even with 3 legit teams, we're still having to manufacture a 4th "contender, knowing full well that they aren't. It will be the 6th straight playoff(all of them) that will feature an absolute bloodbath. And I'm not completely sure we won't see two. There simply aren't more than 2--occasionally 3--teams that are truly worthy of playing for a NC in any given season. The 4-team model gives a team like '04 Aub/'19 Clemson a shot where they otherwise wouldn't have had one. For that reason, I'm ok with it. Anything beyond is absolute garbage.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
How many years are their 5 teams with legit arguments to be in the Championship game, hell this year there is only 3. Leave it as it is. There is too much money being made to go back.
That's sort of a circular argument, though. It's true what you're saying, there are only a handful of teams who are legit championship contenders, but that's because they are stockpiling all the talent and the cycle is perpetuating itself. As it is now, 5* recruits think they need to go to one of those schools if they want to play for the national championship and get that maximum TV exposure. That would be different if there were eight teams with a real chance to win it every year.

Some will say that even if eight teams got in, it would still be the same small handful in the final four every year. I disagree. I think that's a short-sighted belief that comes from viewing things from the perspective of how they are now.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
There arent even four teams who deserve a shot at an NC.
As I just suggested in my last post, to the extent that's true, it's because of the lack of parity. And the lack of parity is because we've seen the same teams in the CFP every year, so that's where all the top players keep going. I refuse to believe there's no way to break that cycle.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's sort of a circular argument, though. It's true what you're saying, there are only a handful of teams who are legit championship contenders, but that's because they are stockpiling all the talent and the cycle is perpetuating itself. As it is now, 5* recruits think they need to go to one of those schools if they want to play for the national championship and get that maximum TV exposure. That would be different if there were eight teams with a real chance to win it every year.

Dude, youre Mr Circular. Dildo Dan cant get in the playoffs bc he cant win against good teams in October, so why the fvkk do you think he is going to beat good teams in the playoff.

The reason he cant recruit is bc he sucks as a recruiter, not bc the playoff isnt 8 teams.

Nothing about an 8 team playoff means shytty coaches are going to be any less shytty in January than in October.

This is one doozy of an argument.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Some will say that even if eight teams got in, it would still be the same small handful in the final four every year. I disagree. I think that's a short-sighted belief that comes from viewing things from the perspective of how they are now.

When everyone had a shot with the bowl series the haves always are the haves. It takes a coach (salesperson) to sell that vision to the recruit to get in that group. But there are a handful of schools in a location and a history to make change that. UF has location and history to get in that group. Alabama is history, LSU has location and history, USC, Texas... but it multiple factors to do it.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Dude, youre Mr Circular. Dildo Dan cant get in the playoffs bc he cant win against good teams in October, so why the fvkk do you think he is going to beat good teams in the playoff.

The reason he cant recruit is bc he sucks as a recruiter, not bc the playoff isnt 8 teams.

Nothing about an 8 team playoff means shytty coaches are going to be any less shytty in January than in October.

This is one doozy of an argument.
Get off your one-track Mullinz obsession. This isn't about him or Florida, it's about the general question of how can we increase the amount of parity across the board and make college football seasons more interesting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
lol we're starting to see a trend here.

Okay sofla, if you're right, then why do you think that is the case?

What trend? There are no examples in the last 30 years of having 4 legit teams and needing to hash it out via a playoff, and only 3-4 example of even needing a 3rd spot in the same time frame.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator