What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams? (Poll!)

What should happen with the College Football Playoff?

• Leave it the $%@# alone, it's good enough like it is.

• Keep it at four teams, but change the criteria for getting in.

• Expand it to 8 teams.

• Expand it to 16 teams.

• Eliminate the CFP and go back to #1 vs. #2.

• Something else, which I will explain it my response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to convince people to expand the playoffs with a performance like we see by Oklahoma today

They are completely outclassed

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Boy this 1 v 4 playoff game has been competitive. Can't wait for a 1 v 8 matchup.
Would’ve been no different. LSU is on another planet right now. Also, would be the first time a 1 took home the playoff, which hurts your argument...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Would’ve been no different. LSU is on another planet right now. Also, would be the first time a 1 took home the playoff, which hurts your argument...
LSU is on another planet? No, they're playing like the #1 team in the country usually plays. #1 and #2 are usually head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Neither would teams 5-8 if the 8 team playoff existed.
That’s what the naysayers said about #4, which won one before #1. And a #8 seed won the NCAA Basketball tourney, which is equal to teams #29-32. That’s not to say they’re equivalent but I guarantee you no one saw that coming either.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
#1 team has never won the playoff so....

The problem with that is that the seeding can be very subjective and manipulated to create matchups. So I don’t put a ton of stock in where a team is ranked inside that final four. Just like the BCS, the idea is to narrow down a field to a few teams who are capable of winning it all. How they’re arranged is irrelevant, imo.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The problem with that is that the seeding can be very subjective and manipulated to create matchups. So I don’t put a ton of stock in where a team is ranked inside that final four. Just like the BCS, the idea is to narrow down a field to a few teams who are capable of winning it all. How they’re arranged is irrelevant, imo.
They’d do the same with 8 and we might get a few more good games a year. I’m all for it. And based on what I’m seeing here, UF is every bit as qualified as OU to get stomped by LSU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They’d do the same with 8 and we might get a few more good games a year. I’m all for it. And based on what I’m seeing here, UF is every bit as qualified as OU to get stomped by LSU.

but it’s completely unnecessary. We don’t need to see Ohio state against Wisconsin to see who is better. We’ve already done that. Twice. We don’t need to see LSU play uga or Baylor against Oklahoma. Again, we’ve done it already.

I’m actually not of the opinion that the seven or eight seed couldn’t get hot and pull a few upsets en route to a title. I just don’t think any team should have to beat another team potentially three times. Nor do I want to see a 500 team in a playoff because they happen to win their conference.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
but it’s completely unnecessary. We don’t need to see Ohio state against Wisconsin to see who is better. We’ve already done that. Twice. We don’t need to see LSU play uga or Baylor against Oklahoma. Again, we’ve done it already.

I’m actually not of the opinion that the seven or eight seed couldn’t get hot and pull a few upsets en route to a title. I just don’t think any team should have to beat another team potentially three times. Nor do I want to see a 500 team in a playoff because they happen to win their conference.
Drawbacks to every model. Remember when Big 12 had two 1 loss teams get left out? There’s always going to be pros/cons but I’d rather see more teams duke it out than less.

But best case would be realigning conferences to 4 16 team conferences with no divisions. Best two teams play for the championship. Each champion goes playoff. Essentially a 8 team playoff with the first round a regional/conference qualifier. Never happen but its the best solution.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You’re statement above was that a #1 is playing like its supposed to. So far, #1’s lose in the playoffs. They aren’t playing like history says they should because they’re winning.
And your statement was that LSU playing "on another planet". I said no, they are playing like the #1 team in the country usually does (that's why they're ranked #1). I'll let you in on a little secret - I don't follow moving goal posts, so don't bother.
8 teams are going to get you shytty games. That's not debatable.
And it's going to get 2 maybe 3 SEC teams which will mean redundant rematches.
As a Gator fan looking out for the best interest of the Gators I don't want it. Wining the SEC is going to get us #1 or #2 most years. I'd rather go straight to the NC than play two stupid playoff games. Personally I'd take my chances that we don't get that #1 or #2 ranking. Instead we do have a 4 team playoff so for all you participation trophy fans when we don't get #1 or #2 then we get in via the playoffs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Drawbacks to every model. Remember when Big 12 had two 1 loss teams get left out? There’s always going to be pros/cons but I’d rather see more teams duke it out than less.

Outside of just having more games to watch, what are the drawbacks to the current model? That’s what I’ve yet to see answered. We have never had more than 3 teams that were truly considered NC caliber teams all trying to get in, which is why I’m good with the 4. But I don’t see any tangible benefits to expanding. And the drawbacks look horrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.