When your morning alarm goes off…

What do you do when your morning alarm goes off?

• Bounce out of bed immediately

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Hit snooze once

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Hit snooze 2-3 times

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Hit snooze more than 3 times

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Sleep through alarms most days

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • What’s an alarm?

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Seeing as how if I don’t get up right away my Lab will start poking me, I get up right away. But “bouncing out of bed?” Yeah, no.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Seeing as how if I don’t get up right away my Lab will start poking me, I get up right away. But “bouncing out of bed?” Yeah, no.
Bounce is a bit exaggerated. Stumble?

Most days (when I set an alarm) I would prefer to set it as late as possible and get up when it goes off.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have never had to use an alarm to get up in the mornings. I just naturally wake up about 5:30 and pretty much get right up and get the day started. I’m usually in bed by 10:00 and 7 to 7-1/2 hrs is my sleep requirement. Even in retirement, my internal clock hasn’t changed that much. It’s a good thing…I hate the sound of an alarm clock.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Since I travel 5 time zones away two to three times per year an alarm clock has become a necessity. I used to get right out of bed when it first went off but now it seems that I normally "snooze" a couple or three times.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wake up. Spend a few minutes checking weather/markets/finances on my phone before actually exiting bed, but no snooze. Though some of this is moot because my wife sets her alarm even earlier and does not the snooze at least once. So I’m semi awake anyway, and typically in a pretty good mood because of that.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
My wife has like 10 alarms set. The first is usually my alarm if going into the office, or walking the new dog. I grumble as I stumble out of bed with muscles aching and bones cracking.

The next one up is her alarm, then we have the one to wake kid 1 up, then one to wake kid 2 up, one for her to be done getting ready, one to be out the door, etc.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My wife has like 10 alarms set. The first is usually my alarm if going into the office, or walking the new dog. I grumble as I stumble out of bed with muscles aching and bones cracking.

The next one up is her alarm, then we have the one to wake kid 1 up, then one to wake kid 2 up, one for her to be done getting ready, one to be out the door, etc.

I’m a big believer that it’s what you wake up to that not only helps to not immediately push the snooze but also softens the overall blow. Before phones and IPads, the traditional blaring alarm sound used to drive me crazy and would sometimes be thrown across the room just to get it away from my head. The last 10-15 years, I wake to a very peaceful song that I like and it helps.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I might sleep into my alarm a few times a year. I wake naturally around 5:30-6. And when I go to bed has no impact on that. Usually that is governed by my bladder.

My wife is also a "set multiple" alarms and snooze. So even if I am not awake when her first one goes off... I am now and there is no going back to sleep.

During the work week, I will immediately shower and the day is full speed ahead. Even if I showered just before bedtime. On the weekend, I make a cup of coffee, get on my phone, and enjoy a quiet house.

In my younger days, I would jump out of bed and go for a run first. That stopped a few years ago.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Same. My Lab does not let me hit snooze. She knows it's breakfast time.
Same here, but now I also have a giant great dane face in my grill.

I hit the snooze when I can, but it isn't very often.

Get up - go for the third time for the "night" - get started on breakfast for the dogs and get the coffee going. Read the devotional to Mrs. Altitude, shower, get to work (either at home or head to one of my offices to meet with staff).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have never had to use an alarm to get up in the mornings. I just naturally wake up about 5:30 and pretty much get right up and get the day started.
Same here. If I sleep until the alarm goes off(I do set one for 6.15AM) It usually means I'm getting sick, like today.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
As a young teen, I'd set the clock ahead by some odd number (9-13min), then set two alarms (or one, with a snooze at odd number min). Basically, I didn't like getting up, and figured I'd have to fool myself by moving the clock early and doing quick math should make me avoid falling back asleep. Didn't work all that well. I put a helluva lot more effort into tricking myself than just gtf-up.

20's I'd just set 2 alarms, first was the 'hey, get up' and second was 'ok I am serious gtf-up'. It worked.

Recently, with the wife having a early hour job, she gets up on her 1-2 alarms at 5:30, I roll over and may fall asleep, may not, until I feel like getting up. Quickest is to jump out after all the kids have showered, latest is on my 'gtf-up' alarms (2 of them) at 7:30 as a last chance. My work is such that I can work from home whenever, flexible hours for when/if I go into office, so I'm not as stressed. But as a rule I only set 2 'gtf-up' for myself and am up by the second as a worst case.

I need 7h minimum of sleep. Left to my own devices (no alarms) I'll sleep naturally 8-10h, and am fully capable of rolling over for another 1-2h. Do this on weekends sometims, but suspect I will steadily lose this ability over coming years. By the time I retire, I suspect my body will settle into something like @cover2 in that my bio-clock goes off at a certain time daily. Wife is kinda like that now, her mom was hardcore like that.

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Growing up I could sleep literally through anything. After I got married, Mrs. Nalt and I went to Big Cedar Lodge for a few nights. Our first night there we slept soundly. The next morning the phone beside the bed woke me up. It was the front desk and they told me that our alarm had been going off for over an hour and had woke our next door neighbors who called and complained. Oops. My bad! :lol2:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I might sleep into my alarm a few times a year. I wake naturally around 5:30-6. And when I go to bed has no impact on that. Usually that is governed by my bladder.

My wife is also a "set multiple" alarms and snooze. So even if I am not awake when her first one goes off... I am now and there is no going back to sleep.

During the work week, I will immediately shower and the day is full speed ahead. Even if I showered just before bedtime. On the weekend, I make a cup of coffee, get on my phone, and enjoy a quiet house.

In my younger days, I would jump out of bed and go for a run first. That stopped a few years ago.
Bladder right now but soon the prostate steps in and says “I’m running things!”

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
M-F my alarms goes off, I get out of bed, change for the gym and go work out... S/Su it's wake up usually due to the sunlight coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator