When's the Last Time We Were Underdogs to Ole Miss?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm guessing you would have to go back 20 yrs or more. I know we were double digit favorites in all of the most recent match-ups. This is a totally different situation and game and there's not a chance in hell we come into the game anything but 100% and focused and motivated. Like Mac said, they probably don't have much regard for us and expect to kick our buts without much problem. I love the way he is playing that angle and getting in Freezes head.

Dammit, someone sedate me and wake me up in 30 hours. I can't wait for this game. I'm really jealous of those of you going to this one. The swamp is going to be rocking. I think we come out and punch them in the mouth early and get the place deafening.

Go Gators!

:chomp::chomp::chomp:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
$10 says we still have empty sections of seats in the student upper deck.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about when we were underdogs, but I know both Mississippi schools always seem to give us trouble even when we were favorites.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
ATXGator;n289127 said:
I don't know about when we were underdogs, but I know both Mississippi schools always seem to give us trouble even when we were favorites.

I honestly think its always been due to us looking past them...

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
gatormandan;n289128 said:
I honestly think its always been due to us looking past them...
Exactly, that's the point. We have always been huge favorites, and probably players were looking at the game after the Ole Miss game, no matter how hard the coaches tried to keep them focused on the task at hand. I like the home dog role a lot better. We come in with a chip on our shoulder. I really think the first Q is going to set the tone. This isn't a game where we can afford another slow start. Look for a big special teams play and for us to force a turnover early and get them on their heals and the crowd going insane.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if I was alive.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Were we the underdogs in the second game against Eli with Zook as the headcoach?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we weren't underdogs but they beat us regularly in the last few years. They beat Tebow and Manning beat us twice, wasn't it? Lets turn the table on the bums and beat them for a change. By the way, how do you recruit to Oxford, Mississippi anyway :-) :deadhorse:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TheDouglas78;n289157 said:
Were we the underdogs in the second game against Eli with Zook as the headcoach?
I don't think so. There was a report yesterday that claims we were big favorites the last 4 meetings.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
LAST FIVE GAMES AGAINST FLORIDA

September 27, 2008 • Gainesville, Fla. • Ole Miss 31, #4 Florida 30:
Jevan Snead threw two touchdown passes, ran for another score and led the Rebels to a stunning 31-30 victory at No. 4 Florida. Snead outplayed the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, Tim Tebow, and he did it in The Swamp, where Florida had won 21 of its last 22 games. Snead was 9-of-20 passing for 185 yards, not great numbers, but he made plays when the Rebels needed them. His biggest was an 86-yard touchdown pass to Shay Hodge that put the Rebels ahead 31-24 with 5:26 to play. Tebow was 24-of-38 passing for 319 yards and a touchdown.

September 22, 2007 • Oxford, Miss. • #3 Florida 30, Ole Miss 24:
Tim Tebow set a school record for quarterbacks with 166 yards rushing, as his two passing touchdowns and two running scores propelled the Gators to victory, 30-24. Ole Miss cut Florida's lead to 27-24 late in the third quarter on Seth Adams' 71-yard touchdown strike to Mike Wallace. Adams led the Rebels with 302 passing yards and two touchdowns.

October 4, 2003 • Gainesville, Fla. • Ole Miss 20, #24 Florida 17:
Eli Manning directed a late 50-yard TD drive to lift the Rebels to a 20-17 victory over the No. 24 Gators. Vashon Pearson nudged over from 1 yard with 1:10 left for the winning score. Pearson finished with 48 yards, Ronald McClendon had 107, including a 52-yard touchdown, and Ole Miss ran for 223 yards.

October 5, 2002 • Oxford, Miss. • Ole Miss 17, #6 Florida 14:
Matt Grier returned the second of his two third-quarter interceptions 24 yards for the go-ahead touchdown and Ole Miss shut out the sixth-ranked Gators in the second half to win 17-14 in front of a record crowd of 61,140 at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

September 30, 1995 • Gainesville, Fla. • Florida 28, Ole Miss 10:
Florida scored on its first three drives of the game and limited Ole Miss to one field goal on three trips inside the Gator 20-yard line as Florida defeated the Rebels 28-10. Running back Mark Smith gained 130 yards rushing on 23 carries in the losing effort.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like the money in Vegas is moving the spread more in OM's favor.

krisl648

Founding Member
Life Long Gator!
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;n289190 said:
Maybe we weren't underdogs but they beat us regularly in the last few years. They beat Tebow and Manning beat us twice, wasn't it? Lets turn the table on the bums and beat them for a change. By the way, how do you recruit to Oxford, Mississippi anyway :-) :deadhorse:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like rehashing those defeats!

Go Gators!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
1964 Ole Miss was the pre-season number one team in the United States. Florida upset the Rebels 30-14 behind a sophomore quarterback playing his first year of varsity ball. That quarterback? You guessed it. Steve Spurrier.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n289295 said:
1964 Ole Miss was the pre-season number one team in the United States. Florida upset the Rebels 30-14 behind a sophomore quarterback playing his first year of varsity ball. That quarterback? You guessed it. Steve Spurrier.
That may have been the last time they were favored. Should be the same results this time with the dog stomping the favorite.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That 1989 home opener against them when we dominated but Kyle Morris served the game up on a platter to them comes to mind, but I think we were a slight favorite going in.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n289116 said:
I'm guessing you would have to go back 20 yrs or more. I know we were double digit favorites in all of the most recent match-ups. This is a totally different situation and game and there's not a chance in hell we come into the game anything but 100% and focused and motivated. Like Mac said, they probably don't have much regard for us and expect to kick our buts without much problem. I love the way he is playing that angle and getting in Freezes head.

Dammit, someone sedate me and wake me up in 30 hours. I can't wait for this game. I'm really jealous of those of you going to this one. The swamp is going to be rocking. I think we come out and punch them in the mouth early and get the place deafening.

Go Gators!

:chomp::chomp::chomp:

I really don't think Mac meant like that...he seems to be playing the old Lou Holtz method. Talk up the opponents and say how great they are, etc etc. I don't think he means it literally. Also, do you really think he's getting in Freeze's head? Sorry, gotta disagree on that one. If we win it will be because we played well and got some breaks to go our way not b/c Coach Mac got in his head.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ole piss was a trap game in 2008. We were looking past them. Plus afternoon games against patsies more often then not tend to be low energy games as well. We've go them at night in The Swamp and it's time to take back The Swamp!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
T REX;n289330 said:
I really don't think Mac meant like that...he seems to be playing the old Lou Holtz method. Talk up the opponents and say how great they are, etc etc. I don't think he means it literally. Also, do you really think he's getting in Freeze's head? Sorry, gotta disagree on that one. If we win it will be because we played well and got some breaks to go our way not b/c Coach Mac got in his head.

He doesn't mean it literally. But he also isn't pulling a Lou. It wasn't as much talking up the opponent as putting words in their mouths. He actually said to the press they "don't have much regard for the Gators" and they "figure they'll come in and beat the heck out of us".

He's screwing with Freeze in case you don't get it. Freeze was actually asked about it forced to comment saying he couldn't understand why Mac would say that.

Of course if f we win it's going to be by making more plays on the field than them. Mac messing with Ole Piss and Freeze and firing up his own team is just an added bonus. But he knows exactly what he is doing and saying. He inspires his team and is in Freezes head all at the same time. His best line was what he said right after. "But you know what, all that being said there's a pretty good chance we'll show up and be there...it should be another fun environment". He confirmed that despite the odds we might just show up and give it a shot. I love this guy,

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;n289190 said:
how do you recruit to Oxford, Mississippi anyway :-) :deadhorse:

554448d7f9c5b3f6f7d125e3f830c70e1116608397.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.