Who will the new contributors be in 2016?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
ok, so the class is taking shape. who amongst the newbies can come in and contribute right away? we need some guys to come in guns a-blazin'. in 2015 we got great results with callaway, and cronk also. ivey and cece also made their marks in the trenches. so who will this year's gems be who can come in and step right onto the field? feel free to mention any red shirts from last year.

I say Mark Thompson and Perine will immediately start carrying the rock. PK Piniero is obvious. Any one or more of the new WRs could catch fire. Taylor is big enough to take the field at Safety. Polite at 240 could give reps at rush end. we need Reese to be instant impact at LB for sure.

how about the new OLs, other DBs, and any subs/redshirts from last year or anyone else from this class?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Most likely to contribute:

Mark Thompson
Tyrie Cleveland
Eddy Pineiro

Could contribute:

Austin Appleby
Chauncey Gardner
Antonneous Clayton
David Reese
Any of the other WR/RB/ATH commits for kickoff returns

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Starting with the offense, I'm thinking Thompson is pretty likely to contribute and a lot. Should split carries with Scarlett and Cronk. Perine could play some but doubtful as much as Thompson. The 3 OL coming in could contribute if they impress the coaches but we have numbers here and had a few redshirt last year (Buchanan, Sandifer, Desir Jones). Cleveland likely gets to play early as well as Massey with the speed he has. Hammond and swain could also compete for playing time. I see Well's possibly competing for playing time as well but may redshirt. Defensively, Clayton and Gardner should get on the field and be able to contribute and any of the linebackers will have a shot considering our numbers there are thin. And of course Pinerio should contribute and big time at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'd say Thompson, Pinerio, Reese, Cleveland, Clayton and at least one of the Olineman are almost guaranteed to contribute quite a bit.

The next group that will likely see some time would be Massey, Gardner, Joesph and Jaewon Taylor.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby......key to the program's revival...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thompson, Swain, Cleveland and I'm thinking Applewood beats out the transient for QB.
On defense Clayton, Gardner and Reese will get more and more reps as the season progresses.
2015 Redshirt contributors will be McCoy and Zuniga....
BTW, does anyone know if Thomas Holley(2014) is still playing football?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
That's gotta be something of a pleasant surprise, considering that according to reports, he never visited. And we don't have a DB coach.

I'm not going to pretend to be an evaluator of top talent. But one thing that stood out is that he always seemed to know where the ball was. He made a couple of picks on horrendous throws ... I mean the QB and the WR not being on the same page, the QB throws an out route while the WR is breaking in, and the ball ends up 15 yards away from the receiver ... because he made a break for where the ball was actually going the moment it left the QB's hand.

CB's need confidence, and he obviously has it. Welcome aboard, Gator Joseph Putu.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I'd say Thompson, Pinerio, Reese, Cleveland, Clayton and at least one of the Olineman are almost guaranteed to contribute quite a bit.

The next group that will likely see some time would be Massey, Gardner, Joesph and Jaewon Taylor.
We have a winner.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Mark Thompson - Guy is a beast. He will play unless he has ball security issues.

Dre Massey - He will contribute in some way, probably special teams. He is too fast.

At least one of the other wideouts will contribute heavily in the passing game. I'm not sure who because they all have talent.

Chauncey Gardner - the kid is the next elite corner at UF. He'll be playing a lot this year in the nickel.

David Reese - He'll play because there isn't anyone else.

One of the other linebackers will play because there isn't anyone else.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
K - Pinero starts, duh

RB - Thompson starts, Perine redshirts

QB - Trask redshirts, Franks may redshirt...won't be significant contributor this year if he plays (Appleby and Del Rio are ahead of him, IMO)

WR - Massey starts, Burnett is high in the rotation, Cleveland/Swain/Wells/Hammond work low into the rotation with 1-2 of them redshirting

OL - Taylor/Heggie/Forsythe work into the lower end of the rotation, no redshirts but no starters either. One falls too deep into the rotation to play and wastes a year.

DL - Clayton high in the rotation, Polite/Smith mid to low in rotation but they play

LB - Joseph/Moon middle rotation, Reese redshirt (may play based on depth)

DB - Gardner/Putu high in rotation, Lenton/McWilliams/Taylor 1-2 low in rotation, 1-2 redshirt

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Thompson, Swain, Cleveland and I'm thinking Applewood beats out the transient for QB.
On defense Clayton, Gardner and Reese will get more and more reps as the season progresses.
2015 Redshirt contributors will be McCoy and Zuniga....
BTW, does anyone know if Thomas Holley(2014) is still playing football?

Holley was listed on the UF depth chart released in January. Guess they'll re-evaluate him as spring practice swings into gear. hope he can see the field. we need him.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The juco guys play right away IMO. They are way ahead of the freshmen physically and I really like Thompson and Massey.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner and Clayton will definitely be a factor on defense. Then the kicker.

Afterwards, there is a slew of offensive guys who could make a difference, which is nice. I've got my money on Hammond, Cleveland and Perine

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Gardner and Clayton will definitely be a factor on defense. Behind that, the kicker. Other than this, there is a bunch of offensive guys who could step up............. which is a nice change,

Clayton will be the business, but the kid's pretty lanky right now for SEC DE play at about 215. Polite has 15-20 lbs on him. I could see Jachai initially seeing more reps. Clayton's time will come though. Agree about Chauncey.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner and Clayton will definitely be a factor on defense. Then the kicker.

Afterwards, there is a slew of offensive guys who could make a difference, which is nice. I've got my money on Hammond, Cleveland and Perine
No Mark Thompson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator