Why Del Rio could fail

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I may get flack here but I'm not throwing this dude under the bus. Mac and Nuss know their business, and I feel Mac made the best choice he could on a starter, but he's untested, really untested, and there are two things gnawing at me about our QB that really won't be made clear until big boy football starts vs SEC defenses.

1. Arm strength: He would seem to have the least of all four on the roster. His knowledge of the schemes has helped him run things, and he looked solid vs the second stringers in the O and B game, but Mac said there have been some bad INTs in practice and I saw another sure one go through Harris's hands. He doesn't get it downfield like the others and if he can't put the necessary zip on it, SEC DB's will feast.

2. Escapability: Our defenders have said Austin can extend plays better than Del Rio can. He's more athletic and has the stronger arm. In fact, it seems as if all three of the other guys are more athletic and able to scramble better. If our OL has not taken as many steps forward as we hope, and let's face it, they were atrocious when pass protecting last year, Del Rio will be a sack dummy.

UK, and certainly UT, will have game tape to look at and they will know Del Rio's tendencies, as well as how Mac and Nuss are going to try to call the game with him in at QB. Just knowing the schemes and where guys are going to be won't be enough cuz the bad guys will too.

Mac and Nuss know what they're doing; I trust their player evaluation and they'll game plan the best they can, and my hope is that the OL and RB pool are good enough to alleviate any pressure on Del Rio to carry the game to the opponent, but the intensity and speed of play in weeks two and four are going to be on a completely different level from anything he's seen in practice and it'll be against two teams that we beat by a combined total of six points last year.

I hope that, come September 25th, I can laugh at myself for having even a shred of doubt about him after we make it 12 vs UT. But our QB and OL play are by far the two biggest question marks going into the season.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Any way you cut it, Del Rio is already a 1000% improvement at the QB position than Harris ever was or ever was going to be. Merely average QB play this fall will lead to at least a 9 win season.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is nine wins really that good with our schedule?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Short answer: The Mac/QB mind meld trumps arm strength and escapability. Mac and Nuss would probably tell you that having a QB that executes is preferable to a QB that improvises.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You dont have to be a 6'5" 250lb duel threat with a laser arm to be a qb in this offense. None of the bama qb's were. I don't think the kid at csu was either.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Arm strength means little at the college game...2 of the greatest Gators had poor arm strength (Wuerffel, Leak). It's about knowing where to throw the ball. The scrambling ability is also highly overrated and the exact same punts you bring up were the same as to why dipshhit muscrap chose his qb. You don't need to be able to scramble with a bad oline...that can be made up with knowing where and when to get rid of the ball. Del Rios 1 incompletion in the spring game was one of his best plays by just throwing the ball away

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that he's the least athletic QB on the roster, but his knowledge of the game and his command of the offense makes him the best QB on the roster right now. The biggest problem with Harris and Driskel was slow decision making and even though they were both more athletic than Del Rio, they stunk. In college you can easily compensate for arm strength with intelligence.

What impressed me most about Del Rio in the spring game was how quickly he read the defense and got rid of the ball. His quick decision making will help the O-line and significantly reduced sacks. Harris was faster than Grier, but Harris' slow decision making is why we allowed more sacks per game once he took over.

I think Del Rio will be recognized as one of the better QBs in the league by season's end.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Being a qb is 90% mental, and the other half is in your head. True, he may be the least "athletic" of the four WRT his ability to run, throw a dart, etc but really that is all secondary to knowing what is happening and having command of the field. Just no way a kid grows up in a house with an NFL coach for a father and doesn't bring some serious SA to the game. I liken it to golf....most guys are throwing away strokes before they ever start their backswing no matter how athletic they are simply because they don't stand and address and grip and aim correctly. When a QB walks up to the line a huge part of his effectiveness is his ability to read a play before the ball is even snapped. My guess is LDR's primary weapon is between the ears and its gonna pay off big for us.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
great points across the board in the responses.

as long as his decision making, his strong suit, stays up to par as opponents get stronger and play gets faster against better teams, we should do well. well enough to get back to the SEC game? we'll see....

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
too bad we don't get both UMASS AND North Texas as warm ups before SEC play starts.

glad i'll be there for the UK game to scream my lungs ragged and do my fan's best to help the fellas get SEC play started right.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Right now we are not favored against halFaSsU, UT, UGA, and LSU. So 9 wins would be one more than expected. Personally I'd take 10 as a minimum.

So, would it be acceptable to lose all four since we are underdogs? You'll see people make that excuse should we lose all four. Need to go at least 2-2 and even then...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not winning every game for the rest of my life by at least 50 is unacceptable. After all, WE ARE FLORIDA! Right, TRex?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He's been waiting for this chance, I think he'll be ok. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he has some growing pains. Hopefully, they won't come at the worst possible times.
Plus, I'm pretty sure he's already going against some of the best DB's every day in practice.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not winning every game for the rest of my life by at least 50 is unacceptable. After all, WE ARE FLORIDA! Right, TRex?

Yeah, because that's what I said. At least quote me properly. Going .500 against LSU, UT, UGA and FSU is saying we have to win every game by 50 forever? Do you read the crap you post before you hit Post Reply? Seriously, get a grip.

I keep forgetting you are one of the people that has a low bar on life and low expectations. Probably from being given participation trophies most of your life. Picked last in PE and stuff like that has weakened you mentally. No sweat dude. We'll drag you along in your radio flyer.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And the ironic thing in all this...I would wager $1000 or more that Spurrier LOATHES people like the sunshine pumpers. Loathes you people. Always an excuse for the lack of results. Mistaking effort for actual results. He hates you people.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I've seen enough hyped QBs in and out here that you don't know if they are any good until they get out there on gameday against SEC level competition.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, because that's what I said. At least quote me properly. Going .500 against LSU, UT, UGA and FSU is saying we have to win every game by 50 forever? Do you read the crap you post before you hit Post Reply? Seriously, get a grip.

I keep forgetting you are one of the people that has a low bar on life and low expectations. Probably from being given participation trophies most of your life. Picked last in PE and stuff like that has weakened you mentally. No sweat dude. We'll drag you along in your radio flyer.
:lol: You're too easy, Mr. Unacceptable. :lol:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I may get flack here but I'm not throwing this dude under the bus. Mac and Nuss know their business, and I feel Mac made the best choice he could on a starter, but he's untested, really untested, and there are two things gnawing at me about our QB that really won't be made clear until big boy football starts vs SEC defenses.

1. Arm strength: He would seem to have the least of all four on the roster. His knowledge of the schemes has helped him run things, and he looked solid vs the second stringers in the O and B game, but Mac said there have been some bad INTs in practice and I saw another sure one go through Harris's hands. He doesn't get it downfield like the others and if he can't put the necessary zip on it, SEC DB's will feast.

2. Escapability: Our defenders have said Austin can extend plays better than Del Rio can. He's more athletic and has the stronger arm. In fact, it seems as if all three of the other guys are more athletic and able to scramble better. If our OL has not taken as many steps forward as we hope, and let's face it, they were atrocious when pass protecting last year, Del Rio will be a sack dummy.

UK, and certainly UT, will have game tape to look at and they will know Del Rio's tendencies, as well as how Mac and Nuss are going to try to call the game with him in at QB. Just knowing the schemes and where guys are going to be won't be enough cuz the bad guys will too.

Mac and Nuss know what they're doing; I trust their player evaluation and they'll game plan the best they can, and my hope is that the OL and RB pool are good enough to alleviate any pressure on Del Rio to carry the game to the opponent, but the intensity and speed of play in weeks two and four are going to be on a completely different level from anything he's seen in practice and it'll be against two teams that we beat by a combined total of six points last year.

I hope that, come September 25th, I can laugh at myself for having even a shred of doubt about him after we make it 12 vs UT. But our QB and OL play are by far the two biggest question marks going into the season.
I love this post, and the analysis. I'm not a pumper, but I feel like it sometimes because I am so optimistic about our prospects with Mac, Nuss, and the players we have. I feel that our biggest issue is that our first- and second- teams are largely unproven. In this regard, LT hit a lot of nails on the head. However, I fully expect student / athletes at the University of Florida to learn as they go, and progress in all phases of the game. We work hard, we play hard, and we succeed. That's the Gator way. Work 'em silly, Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.