Why Del Rio could fail

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right now we are not favored against halFaSsU, UT, UGA, and LSU. So 9 wins would be one more than expected. Personally I'd take 10 as a minimum.
Not favored against uga a team muscrap and mac both beat with Harris at qb? I don't care what Vegas says they shouldn't be favored

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I want a QB who:

1. knows the offense
2. knows when/where to deliver the ball
3. Has the accuracy to get it done.

See: Shane and Danny.

To the OP- Oh, and since I haven't seen anyone give you the flak you were expecting... You must either be 12 years old, or you easily believe whatever the "experts" on bspn and secn are saying. You know, the "experts" who said we'd be 5th in the East last year. The "experts" who say the voles will beat UF... again... 12th time's the charm...

Of course, I've been wrong before. I just think there's enough positive stuff going on that we'll be fine. Injuries at a LB might the biggest concern, but there's no way to control that. Sit back and enjoy the chump-free ride.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
CGator, since you and others have pointed out Shane and Danny as examples of less athletic passers who had success, let me point out that these guys played behind OLs that were far superior to the one we're trotting out this year. I think the guys who got blooded last year will improve and some of the new ones will prove to be good, but it's still a work in progress. LDR has got to have the time to get the ball where he knows it needs to go.

Furthermore, Shane and Danny were good at throwing guys open even with relatively weak arms. From what I've seen/heard, Trask(!) is the one who does that better than the others. Not saying Law's favorite should get the nod, but LDR can help himself and the O if he can start doing this more consistently.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
The sky is falling... the sky is falling.... blah blah blah blah blah.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Last year we saw receivers running open almost every play and a decent QB could have completed alot of passes even with the porous line we had. I expect better line play and alot of complete passes...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course, I've been wrong before. I just think there's enough positive stuff going on that we'll be fine.
There will be tough times this year, more so if we have injuries at DT, OL, or inside backers.

BUT AT LEAST IT'S FINALLY FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Where did I say that? I didn't. You people read what you want to read. It's hilarious. IMHO, SOS always took the blame. We need to play better. I need to coach em up better. All the excuses and rationalizations? He'd punch you in the face. He doesn't want to hear it. Losing to GSU? It wouldn't have happened. If it did(for some un-Godly reason) he would've taken all the blame and not asked us about a mid-line.

Did you read my previous post? You should take a closer look in the mirror.

As for your latest rant, did you hear we got rid of muschamp? The current year is 2016. Welcome!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And the ironic thing in all this...I would wager $1000 or more that Spurrier LOATHES people like the sunshine pumpers. Loathes you people. Always an excuse for the lack of results. Mistaking effort for actual results. He hates you people.
You just really aren't a very nice person, are you?
SOS may hate me, but at least I'm not hated by everyone else because I'm such a negative douchebag nobody can stand to be around me.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You just really aren't a very nice person, are you?
SOS may hate me, but at least I'm not hated by everyone else because I'm such a negative douchebag nobody can stand to be around me.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
There will be tough times this year, more so if we have injuries at DT, OL, or inside backers.

BUT AT LEAST IT'S FINALLY FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!

Agreed, although I get the impression we're developing depth at OL. We definitely can't absorb too many injuries in the middle. I'd say Anzalone is the key guy to stay healthy if we're going to stay strong in the middle late in games.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
duel threat

Is this swords or pistols? :lol:

Count me among those that believe LDR or Appleby will be orders of magnitude better than Treestump and even Grier (though I believe Grier had the potential to develop into something special). This system doesn't require a cannon-armed QB - though obviously arm strength never hurts. It requires good and quick decision making and like all offenses, protecting the football. Both of these guys are actual QBs, not WRs or LBs masquerading as QBs.

QB play improvement will occur almost by default. Add better line play - more depth, size and experience than last year and a better and deeper stable of RBs, and I think our offense will be much improved over last year.

Relax, fellas.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
CGator, since you and others have pointed out Shane and Danny as examples of less athletic passers who had success, let me point out that these guys played behind OLs that were far superior to the one we're trotting out this year. I think the guys who got blooded last year will improve and some of the new ones will prove to be good, but it's still a work in progress. LDR has got to have the time to get the ball where he knows it needs to go.

Furthermore, Shane and Danny were good at throwing guys open even with relatively weak arms. From what I've seen/heard, Trask(!) is the one who does that better than the others. Not saying Law's favorite should get the nod, but LDR can help himself and the O if he can start doing this more consistently.
I was one who was really worried about LDR's perceived lack of arm strength and as mentioned it may limit something's we want to do offensively. I will say this though and I think most would probably agree that Mac is not gonna put him in a position to fail by fitting a square peg in a round hole ala John Brantley or Jeff Driskel. We'll do what we're capable of doing with the players we have and I'm willing to bet we'll be pretty successful. Same thing with the offensive line, we'll use more quick hitting and short passing to try and keep the young guys from stressing against some of the better defensive lines in the country...I also believe the running game will emerge and take some stress off both QB and offensive line.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Crete, yeah, a RB rotation of Cronk, Scarlett, Thompson, Perine, and even Herndon will wear people down if we get some push up front. Mac can certainly play the nickel and dime game; he did vs UF. and he beat us.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Split the four games between UT, LSU, UGA, and FSU. Stub our toe against someone we shouldn't (likely Arky), and finish 9-3, which could still get us to Atlanta.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
UK, and certainly UT, will have game tape to look at and they will know Del Rio's tendencies, as well as how Mac and Nuss are going to try to call the game with him in at QB. Just knowing the schemes and where guys are going to be won't be enough cuz the bad guys will too.

They had plenty of tape on our offense last year heading into those games and it didn't help them so much. They had even more tape on Treon from the previous year. And last year was with only a limited number of months for those QBs to get acclimated to the Mac/Nuss system. Compare that to this year with LDR having over a year in they system and the same, or less, tape on him heading into it, and I doubt they are prepared.

Like Concrete said, I doubt Mac/Nuss will be putting LDR in a position to stretch his abilities - more like they will call to suit what he can do best.

Defense learns to tackle, and it isn't even close to last year's TN game. Granted, the young OL plays into how we do, but so does a deeper (and admittedly greener) WR corps, and a very deep stable of RBs. I'm not predicting a blowout victory until I see how our team is coming together in the first few games, but I'm a lot less concerned than I was a year ago at this time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN game will come down to the wire like the last two most likely.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm expecting the TN game to more like last year's Old Miss game. I think we blow out an overconfident Vol team.
While I agree we win it soundly, the Vols will be faaaaaaar from confident. They'll be tighter than a drum...they know they're our b*tch.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And the ironic thing in all this...I would wager $1000 or more that Spurrier LOATHES people like the sunshine pumpers. Loathes you people. Always an excuse for the lack of results. Mistaking effort for actual results. He hates you people.

T-rex is our loud little armed dinosore,
with a tale as giant as the great blue wail.
He's a terrorizing pumper carnivore,
made bog-sunk ex-stink when our Gators prevail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.