Why Florida Did What It Wanted

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I'm just gonna go out on limb here and say that when the decision was finally made on Thursday to not play that weekend that Florida and the SEC felt like Nov 19th was going to be a no brainer. I don't think we or the SEC thought that LSU was going to put up such a stink about the 19th.
That was pretty dumb of UF and LSU then, why would LSU ever punt a home game to do UF a favor?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I share Foley's IDGAF attitude on this one. You can holler like some dumbass "Dukes of Hazzard" Cletus all you want, LSU fan. We can't hear you.

I'm just sad that Tigerfan23 never made it down. I was hoping he'd take my advice on what to do while in Gainesville and where to stay:

PastyStoole said:
Welcome Tigerfan23! Always good to see rivals on this board, thanks for stopping in! We're looking forward to welcoming you to our fair city.

Take it from a long time Gator fan who knows, here are your best options:

1) The best tailgating by far is in the Big Lots parking lot on the 13th street. There are generally lots of friendly fans there from both teams enjoying a barbecue and some friendly banter. Sometimes they'll have bands or DJs in the parking lot, and the open area provides lots of nice breeze. It's just a short walk to the stadium, and it's mostly shaded along the way.

2) If you're looking for a little night life, stop by Cafe Risque in the historic and quaint antiquing town of Micanopy. It's a little out of the way, (not much), but it's worth a visit if you're looking for a fun dance bar that everyone will enjoy.

3) For lodging, I recommend the Bambi motel, also on 13th street. Reserve early as this local Gainesville treasure tends to book up quickly during football season.

Good luck this season, and have a great time in Gainesville!

--Pasty

http://www.gatorchatter.com/threads/tiger-fan-coming-to-the-swamp.10064/page-2

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
There were probably enough emergency personnel at that point that they could have had the game... if not Sunday... Monday night. I wouldn't push it past Monday night, but I at least would have liked to see them keep their options open longer.

Under a State of Emergency the Sheriff's Dept in ran by the governor. He dictates where those resources are allocated. I am sure instead of being in Flagler, Duval and other coastal counties he would send them back to Gainesville to direct traffic.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To do what? Move it to Trashahassee? Barn? Lexington?

You realize that the projections on Wed and even Fri included all of Florida, Ga, SC and NC within the possible impact zone, right? Hell the model up til about 20 mins before landfall showed it going out to sea, then it did what it wanted and went ashore in NC.

I guess you are getting shyt from some Corndog at work?

I guess I just wonder if there was anything we could have done differently to create an outcome that would have allowed the game to be played. I don't know all the details of where emergency workers from Gville were allocated or how many it takes to run a game and when they would have been available, if all of that made it clear on Wed that the game couldn't be played anytime through Monday night... then I am fine with that... I just haven't heard anything from the administration that has given that level of detail.

I listen to the college sports radio station on XM and I hear multiple hosts questioning why they couldn't find a way to play the game. I don't think we should have moved the game at all... I just wonder if delaying the decision might have given us more options... maybe it doesn't..., but it never hurts to look at things and say "was there a better way to do this?"

For the record I don't have any issue with the game being cancelled as the safety of the people in the state absolutely comes first, just was wondering if there was something we could have done differently to make it work out.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Although I shouldn't be, I'm amazed at the level of dumbassery that still exists over this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator