Wilder vs Fury

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
What a great time for heavyweight boxing. That era was when I was old enough to start following boxing with interest. Little did I know it was probably the deepest and most entertaining collection of heavyweights I’d ever see. My Dad was a huge Frazier fan. I, of course, became an Ali fan just to piss off pops. But I was actually rooting for Joe in Manila because I hated the rope a dope tactic. Looking back on it, you have to credit Ali’s genius for it though.

That era....late 60’s to mid 80’s...was golden. Not just the champions but even the contenders. And not just the heavyweights but several different weight divisions were just loaded with talent. Everyone fought everyone and then fought everyone again. So many memories of great fights and intense rivalries. And of course the real championship rounds.....13-15!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That era....late 60’s to mid 80’s...was golden. Not just the champions but even the contenders. And not just the heavyweights but several different weight divisions were just loaded with talent. Everyone fought everyone and then fought everyone again. So many memories of great fights and intense rivalries. And of course the real championship rounds.....13-15!
I remember watching the "Big John" Tate vs Mike Weaver fight as a kid in 1980 live on ABC. They did a massive biopic on "Big John" training, choppin would and schit... had the song "Big John" playing in the background the whole time... nothing on Weaver. Then Weaver knocked that ass out!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I remember watching the "Big John" Tate vs Mike Weaver fight as a kid in 1980 live on ABC. They did a massive biopic on "Big John" training, choppin would and schit... had the song "Big John" playing in the background the whole time... nothing on Weaver. Then Weaver knocked that ass out!

Remember that fight well. That era had some badasses. Guys like Shavers, Lyle and Weaver. A little crude at times but threw bombs for 15 rounds.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Remember that fight well. That era had some badasses. Guys like Shavers, Lyle and Weaver. A little crude at times but threw bombs for 15 rounds.
The other big fight I remember in 1980 was Holmes vs Spinks because the fight was in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena and we had to listen to it on the radio.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The other big fight I remember in 1980 was Holmes vs Spinks because the fight was in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena and we had to listen to it on the radio.

Not positive but I think the Spinks fight was in 1981.

Big fight in 1980 for Holmes was in October v. Ali. I was overseas in Okinawa and listened to it on radio. Ali already had signs of Parkinson’s and should never have been given a license. I was fooled as were many others into thinking he was going to shock the world one last time because he had lost so much weight and was down to 217 at one point in training. But it was a sad fight. He had absolutely nothing in the tank. He went to the ropes but there was no rope a dope. He just sat there with his hands up and took a beating until they stopped it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not positive but I think the Spinks fight was in 1981.

Big fight in 1980 for Holmes was in October v. Ali. I was overseas in Okinawa and listened to it on radio. Ali already had signs of Parkinson’s and should never have been given a license. I was fooled as were many others into thinking he was going to shock the world one last time because he had lost so much weight and was down to 217 at one point in training. But it was a sad fight. He had absolutely nothing in the tank. He went to the ropes but there was no rope a dope. He just sat there with his hands up and took a beating until they stopped it.
You are correct! 81! And yes, that Holmes v Ali fight was really sad... like Larry didn't want to tee off either.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You are correct! 81! And yes, that Holmes v Ali fight was really sad... like Larry didn't want to tee off either.

Larry wanted the ref to stop it earlier. Larry was in a tough place. He looked up to Ali and was a former sparring partner but at the same time he felt he couldn’t get out from beneath Ali’s shadow even though he was now the champion. I saw a documentary later where Larry talked about it.

Also interesting was that Dr. Ferdie Pacheco refused to work the corner as he was adamantly against this fight taking place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.