Wilder vs Fury

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, Wilder has announced his intention to fire Breland for throwing in the towel and wants the July rematch... he's an idiot.... Good luck with that.

He could have used the rematch clause, and also wait until fall or next year... to get another match in and work on his skills.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
So, Wilder has announced his intention to fire Breland for throwing in the towel and wants the July rematch... he's an idiot.... Good luck with that.
He's not an idiot. He's got the same chance going into the next one as he did going into the last two. A puncher's chance.

He was never going to be able to box with Fury, or anybody for that matter. He has only ever been able to sit and wait for the opening for the big right.

Now, if he could get someone to really train him, he could be something fierce. But that won't be July. He could get someone like Freddie Roach or Abel Sanchez and take one fight other than Fury or Joshua in the interim. Then fight one of those guys 1.5 years from now and be a different boxer. Now, that'll never happen, but it could.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He's not an idiot. He's got the same chance going into the next one as he did going into the last two. A puncher's chance.

He was never going to be able to box with Fury, or anybody for that matter. He has only ever been able to sit and wait for the opening for the big right.

Now, if he could get someone to really train him, he could be something fierce. But that won't be July. He could get someone like Freddie Roach or Abel Sanchez and take one fight other than Fury or Joshua in the interim. Then fight one of those guys 1.5 years from now and be a different boxer. Now, that'll never happen, but it could.
Yup... agreed on all.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not forget that Wilder knocked Fury down first fight. Of course, Fury's defense was superb and frustrating Wilder.
Wilder should take auditions for trainers, etc. asking them to point out how they would have him beat Fury. What if Fury gets too much confidence and trains less, puts on sloppy weight.

All that is the mystery always around rematches. Fury came in looking great and then boxed like a champion, a 6'9" one.
I've watched several of Fury's fights. He was not as formidable as he was against Wilder.

Fury will be good for boxing. He is a smarty and jovial by nature. These guys will help = Daniel Dubose, Joshua, both English.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You mean like Fury did going to a different trainer to change his style to make it a better match up this time around.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
You mean like Fury did going to a different trainer to change his style to make it a better match up this time around.
Sure. But Fury has actual skills. Wilder only has a bomb attached to his wrist.

Once Fury popped that ear drum, Wilder's plan of "eventually I'll catch him with the right," went to "maybe I'll catch him with the right, even though my equilibrium is gone," and then went to "there's a one in a million chance I'm gonna catch him with the right because I can barely stand and I keep getting teed off on."

That has always been Wilder's plan going into every fight. That has never been Fury's plan. He always had skills. When dad or uncle was his trainer he was pretty much on his own, but he could box. When he got his former trainer, it helped a lot. When he got Emmanuel Steward's nephew as a trainer, it took him to the next level.

Wilder needs to start developing those skills. When he's fighting any boxer worth anything, he's got nothing other than his right and a head bob that he uses very sparingly. Against inferior fighter's he's got a lunging left hook that will do some damage. But that does nothing against a 270 pounder with skills except get you hit......hard.

Fury has big, heavy, fast hands that were doing damage even with his setup punches. You can beat a guy like Fury with a bomb. But, when you take that ear shot early in the fight, your chances of landing one that will do enough damage goes down dramatically. Also, when we've seen that Fury can take that bomb and get up and continue fighting like he did in their first fight, once Wilder took the ear shot his chances were one in a million.

He can say whatever he wants about the costume, and his legs, blah blah blah. The ear shot sealed the deal. And even if the ear drum hadn't busted his chances were going down every time Fury landed those flurries. Dudes arms had to weigh 50 pounds a piece and were quick. It was going to be tough to overcome either way.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Once Fury popped that ear drum, Wilder's plan of "eventually I'll catch him with the right," went to "maybe I'll catch him with the right, even though my equilibrium is gone," and then went to "there's a one in a million chance I'm gonna catch him with the right because I can barely stand and I keep getting teed off on."

That has always been Wilder's plan going into every fight. That has never been Fury's plan. He always had skills. When dad or uncle was his trainer he was pretty much on his own, but he could box. When he got his former trainer, it helped a lot. When he got Emmanuel Steward's nephew as a trainer, it took him to the next level.

Wilder needs to start developing those skills. When he's fighting any boxer worth anything, he's got nothing other than his right and a head bob that he uses very sparingly. Against inferior fighter's he's got a lunging left hook that will do some damage. But that does nothing against a 270 pounder with skills except get you hit......hard.

Fury has big, heavy, fast hands that were doing damage even with his setup punches. You can beat a guy like Fury with a bomb. But, when you take that ear shot early in the fight, your chances of landing one that will do enough damage goes down dramatically. Also, when we've seen that Fury can take that bomb and get up and continue fighting like he did in their first fight, once Wilder took the ear shot his chances were one in a million.

He can say whatever he wants about the costume, and his legs, blah blah blah. The ear shot sealed the deal. And even if the ear drum hadn't busted his chances were going down every time Fury landed those flurries. Dudes arms had to weigh 50 pounds a piece and were quick. It was going to be tough to overcome either way.

Didn't pop his eardrum.. that was speculation... he had 6 stiches to fix a cut. But I also agree in teh difference in the level of skilled boxers they are. Fury is a skilled boxer, Wilder has one punch. Basically how Lewis handed a more skilled puncher in Tyson.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

At 34 I don’t know if Wilder is able...or willing....to change. At a minimum....Wilder should have developed a dominant left jab. At his size and reach it could have really been a tactic to set up the straight right. With his power it could be lethal. At the very least it would allow him to throw combinations rather than always headhunting with one shot.

Mike Tyson at his best threw a dizzying array of combinations often ending with uppercuts that could damn near decapitate you. When I think of Wilder I will always wonder....what could have been.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At 34 I don’t know if Wilder is able...or willing....to change. At a minimum....Wilder should have developed a dominant left jab. At his size and reach it could have really been a tactic to set up the straight right. With his power it could be lethal. At the very least it would allow him to throw combinations rather than always headhunting with one shot.

Mike Tyson at his best threw a dizzying array of combinations often ending with uppercuts that could damn near decapitate you. When I think of Wilder I will always wonder....what could have been.

Wilder will look back and see the wasted talent.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Let's not forget that Wilder knocked Fury down first fight. Of course, Fury's defense was superb and frustrating Wilder.
Wilder should take auditions for trainers, etc. asking them to point out how they would have him beat Fury. What if Fury gets too much confidence and trains less, puts on sloppy weight.

All that is the mystery always around rematches. Fury came in looking great and then boxed like a champion, a 6'9" one.
I've watched several of Fury's fights. He was not as formidable as he was against Wilder.

Fury will be good for boxing. He is a smarty and jovial by nature. These guys will help = Daniel Dubose, Joshua, both English.
Fury's prior unformidableness was conditioning related. He could always box. He always had heart and a jaw. He would just run out of gas. If he could continue to get in better shape and keep the same heaviness in all of his punches, he will be very hard to beat.

But, like you said, if he gets sloppy who knows.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
At 34 I don’t know if Wilder is able...or willing....to change.
He never had to. Hopefully there is someone on his team that shoots him straight enough to tell him he's got to find a trainer that can take control of him in the gym. He obviously doesn't mind putting in the time. He is in shape, always has been. Knock 2 hours off of that 4 hour daily lift and work on that sweet science baby.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree Woodroe. What if Fury gets so inspired as the top man that he trains even harder? I never would have guessed that Fury could handle Wilder that way. Fury is going to make his future opponents have to be better boxers. Fury will retire a very rich man.

That Fury-Joshua bout will fill a modified soccer stadium with a 100,000 delirious European fans. $$$$

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Once Fury popped that ear drum, Wilder's plan of "eventually I'll catch him with the right," went to "maybe I'll catch him with the right, even though my equilibrium is gone," and then went to "there's a one in a million chance I'm gonna catch him with the right because I can barely stand and I keep getting teed off on.”
Great summation.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Agreed on your whole post, but on this part, that progression actually started in the first round the first time got him moving back and jabbed him straight in the kisser. You could see in Wilder's face that your progression started with that very first solid jab.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Agreed on your whole post, but on this part, that progression actually started in the first round the first time got him moving back and jabbed him straight in the kisser. You could see in Wilder's face that your progression started with that very first solid jab.
When I saw that jab, all I could think was, if it were me, here’s where I take the dive (assuming of course it didn’t actually knock me out anyway)!

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
If Fury comes into the rematch focused like he was in their first two fights, he will win... again. Wilder could train the rest of his life, and he will never match Fury's pure boxing skill level. And Wilder's big right hand has been neutered in both of their minds. Wilder hit him in the 12th round of their first fight with a punch that fighters usually only dream of, and Fury ate it.

From what I saw in their second fight, that 12th round knock down was the last time Fury ever had any fear of Wilder, and the last moment Wilder has ever thought he could beat Fury.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Foreman destroyed Norton and Frazier. Norton and Frazier gave Ali all he could handle. Ali made Foreman look like an amateur.

What a great time for heavyweight boxing. That era was when I was old enough to start following boxing with interest. Little did I know it was probably the deepest and most entertaining collection of heavyweights I’d ever see. My Dad was a huge Frazier fan. I, of course, became an Ali fan just to piss off pops. But I was actually rooting for Joe in Manila because I hated the rope a dope tactic. Looking back on it, you have to credit Ali’s genius for it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator