Will Grier, the legend

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You do if he's cancer in the locker room. You absolutely do.

Let's suppose he was a cancer in the locker room. Don't you think SOMEONE from the team would have come forward with a tweet or a quote to the effect that he was, esp considering how high profile his leaving was? I can't find a single negative comment on Grier from any of his UF teammates, therefore I'm calling the :bsflag:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Do you honestly believe there was no separation between he and Treon in 2015 when he refused to name a starter? Why do you think maybe he didn't want to name Grier the starter?
Dude, Mac is one of the worst evaluator's of talent this side of Champ....He has half of our offensive line playing out of their natural positions and the reality is he thought LDR was going to be as good or better than WG....
Case in point being that QB is not a difficult position to evaluate, at least not a pocket pro style QB....they've either got it or they don't . It can be seen in the way they carry themselves, their footwork, their field vision, their ability to buy time and a few other things including release and arm strength/accuracy......Mac walked WG because he thought LDR was just as talented...

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Can we womp?

It's obvious you watched very little of the game. Had you watched the entire game, you would have known that Holgorsen called a bunch of swing passes early to get the ball into the hands of playmakers and get Grier into the game flow, hence a big reason why the low pass-per-yards number.

Let's take a look at the second-half numbers, shall we?

13-of-23, 254 yards, two TDs, no picks

That translates to 19.53 yards a catch during the most critical portion of the game, clutch time, a portion that had Grier showing off the arm and lightning delivery with shots downfield that repeatedly dented V-Tech's secondary.

Let's also not forget the fourth-and-5 at the V-Tech 37 with 33 seconds left. Grier ran right, dodged a defender and hurtled another. It was a gritty and clutch run that kept the potentially game-tying (or winning had they gone for two) drive alive.

Let's also not forget second-and-10 at the V-tech, same drive. Grier calmly moves around the pocket to buy time, surveys the field, and delivers a catchable ball to Sills in the endzone. The receiver dropped the ball.

If the receiver catches the ball, Grier's performance is etched into West Virginia football lore. As it is, a remarkable night for a kid who hadn't played in two years.

WOMP.

Sas, I'm getting quite the chuckle out of you trying to demonize a kid who came to Florida to be a Gator, who went in front of the cameras and apologized for his mistake and pleaded not once, but twice with his coach to forgive and not forget him. He WANTED to be a Gator, and guess what? We aren't growing Will Grier types on trees around here.

And you call him a cokehead. I'm not sure who's been doing the blow today, him or you.

Damm "78, you rock!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. That story about gaining 40 pounds just wasn't true. Grier comes right out, early in the piece, and addresses the internet rumor that he had put on 40 pounds at Florida. He put on 22 pounds between true freshman and redshirt freshman physicals, but not 40, as it was reported and suggested as evidence for PED use.

2. The rumor mill, the attention and the reaction from fans had an emotional impact on Grier. The former Florida quarterback comes out early in the piece to put you in his head following the ban.

"I was in a dark place and depressed. I didn't think I was any good. I didn't know if I would ever play the game again. I lost a lot of confidence. I thought I wasn't worth a s--t. There are times when I lay awake at night and wonder how it went so wrong. I've lost sleep over it. Many, many nights of sleep."

3. Grier obtained the banned substance at an over-the-counter supplement store in Gainesville. Grier and kicker Austin Hardin got on a healthy eating kick as roommates in 2014. They got some protein powder from a Total Nutrition store in town and after a few months with positive results a sales associate suggested another substance.

He said it was a new thing that helped your muscles take in more protein and helped them recover faster. So we went home, and the first thing we did was look on the internet. We're not stupid; we wanted to look it up and make sure it was all clear. I looked at every NCAA site, and many other sites, to see if it was healthy for you. I wasn't going to put anything in my body that wasn't legal and wasn't healthy.
But Grier takes total responsibility for not checking with Florida's trainer to make sure the substance was approved.

I checked each ingredient on the bottle to see if it was on the NCAA banned list. I did my research and was confident in it. What I didn't do is ask the trainers at Florida if it was cleared. I still don't know why I didn't. It's no one's fault but mine.

4. It wasn't a smooth transfer process. Grier said it "felt like he was being pushed away" from the Gators football program and accused McElwain of telling reporters that he was eligible to practice with the team while sending a different message behind closed doors.

I said, the exact quote, "I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future?"

He said, "You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees."

Two weeks later, I decided to have one more meeting, man-to-man, and ask McElwain what the future held. I kept asking him what I could do to make it work there. He finally ended up saying, "Maybe a fresh start isn't the worst thing." He said that, and I said, "So I guess that's the move."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ida-urban-meyer-recruited-me-the-hardest//url]

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, Mac is one of the worst evaluator's of talent this side of Champ....He has half of our offensive line playing out of their natural positions and the reality is he thought LDR was going to be as good or better than WG....
Case in point being that QB is not a difficult position to evaluate, at least not a pocket pro style QB....they've either got it or they don't . It can be seen in the way they carry themselves, their footwork, their field vision, their ability to buy time and a few other things including release and arm strength/accuracy......Mac walked WG because he thought LDR was just as talented...
Nailed it. Stats are just stats. Watching how a kid actually plays the game is the real test. Anybody who watches Grier play sees a dude who is a real talent. Guys like that are rare. I don't trust a single word out of Macs mouth. He is a moron. Grier and daddy might not be Tebownquality family but they can't be any worse than some of these guys who have gotten in trouble multiple times. The year suspension had a lot of fans felling like it was a lifetime but it would have ended almost eleven months ago. I have no doubt that if Mac would have been more supportive then he'd still be here and we would be MUCH better off.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it. Stats are just stats. Watching how a kid actually plays the game is the real test. Anybody who watches Grier play sees a dude who is a real talent. Guys like that are rare. I don't trust a single word out of Macs mouth. He is a moron. Grier and daddy might not be Tebownquality family but they can't be any worse than some of these guys who have gotten in trouble multiple times. The year suspension had a lot of fans felling like it was a lifetime but it would have ended almost eleven months ago. I have no doubt that if Mac would have been more supportive then he'd still be here and we would be MUCH better off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let me add something here. No coach owes a player a guarantee of playing time and certainly not in a situation like Grier's, but what they do owe the player and the team is a better handling of the situation. Mac could have allayed fears here; instead he chose to fan them.

He deserves the chair.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, do you honestly think he's gonna tell a story about partying with his roommate, being late to meetings, failing a drug test for steroids or his overall non-chalant attitude?
Like many have said, there's 2 sides to every story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Bottom line, don't fail the drug test THAT NO ONE ELSE EVER HAS AT UF and none of this happens.

Expand on what you mean by the word partying.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Let me add something here. No coach owes a player a guarantee of playing time and certainly not in a situation like Grier's, but what they do owe the player and the team is a better handling of the situation. Mac could have allayed fears here; instead he chose to fan them.

He deserves the chair.
Hey, I'm not defending Mac. I'm sure, like most everything else we've seen, he handled it poorly. That said, this 100% on Grier IMO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, I'm not defending Mac. I'm sure, like most everything else we've seen, he handled it poorly. That said, this 100% on Grier IMO.

But this is where I disagree. NFL? Yes. College, c'mon. These are kids, they're vulnerable and gullible. They're kids! Think of your own! You really need to massage it. I don't get that sense from Mac from the media depictions.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But this is where I disagree. NFL? Yes. College, c'com. These are kids, they're vulnerable and gullible. They're kids! Think of your own! You really need to massage it. I don't get this sense from Mac from the media depictions.
I have a 3 year old that will not touch things I tell him not to. Grier's a f*cking mental midget if he took an over the counter supplement without getting it approved by the nutrition staff. Hell, they can get ANYTHING LEGAL that they want for free from the nutrition staff. That's why I think it was more than that...steroids, HGH, or something of that nature.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have a 3 year old that will not touch things I tell him not to. Grier's a f*cking mental midget if he took an over the counter supplement without getting it approved by the nutrition staff. Hell, they can get ANYTHING LEGAL that they want for free from the nutrition staff. That's why I think it was more than that...steroids, HGH, or something of that nature.

It was ligandrol according to the NCAA. I'm headed over to Walmart right now to get a bottle.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

That continues to be an absolutely gut wrenching read. And while it's one side of things, if you read those supposed McElwain quotes, based on how he's handled things in press conferences, it sounds exactly like something you'd hear from him. It's a faux arrogance that he exudes in basically every thing he's done here. And to your other point, Grier has now been a part of 2 locker rooms, and no one has anything bad to say about him. As I said in the other WG thread, all we have to go off of are the facts. And none of those facts support JM's side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.