Will Miami Hire Justin Fuente ?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Justin Fuente took a University of Memphis program that was dead and now has them on one of nation's longest winning streaks and ranked in the top 25. In my book what this guy has done at Memphis is good enough to be Coach of the Year. Memphis had a string of 8 losing football coaches in a row before Fuente was hired. You have to go back to the days of Billy "Spook" Murphy and Fred Pancoast ( a former Gator offensive coordinator under Ray Graves) to find a Memphis coach with a winning record. And that was a long time ago.

Memphis is a state school ( I still call them Memphis State ) in a urban setting. Miami is a private school in an urban setting. Both are step children to the flag ship schools in their states, the University of Tennessee and the University of Florida. Memphis is a commuter school. Memphis plays at the Liberty Bowl Stadium which is about two miles from campus which is not nearly as far away as Sun Life Stadium is from the U. of Miami. But Memphis, like Miami, has had a hard time creating a vibrant collegiate type atmosphere for their home games. Miami plays on a bigger national stage than Memphis and plays in a more prestigious conference, but the Miami program has hit rock bottom. At this moment, Memphis is a more vibrant program.

Jim McElwain was reportedly hired by Memphis but the deal did not go through when he pulled out to go to Colorado State instead. That right there says a lot about where the Memphis program was. It's pretty bad if you get left at the altar for Colorado State.

The video is of Coach Tommy West who did pretty good at Memphis as head coach, but still couldn't win and was fired. He told it like it was. Memphis mad some upgrades and went on to hire a good coach in Justin Fuente. They had the backing of the administration. Will Miami be able to do the same?

[youtube]eLk06dQlyAE[/youtube]

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Fuente to USC was a probability. He's a pretty good coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think he'll more than likely have his pick of several jobs and he's a fool if he picks that dump.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much same exact argument Miami used when justifying their hire in Golden. I think they would like to either go in house (Chudzinski) or established (Rich Rod or the like). However, the job is not a great sale to everyone so they won't have their pick. Still, the school recruits very well so they will be in the mix.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n303041 said:
I think he'll more than likely have his pick of several jobs and he's a fool if he picks that dump.

I agree......And remember that UT may still be looking for a coach by years end.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doubtful.. he probably can get more money from another program. I'm also not sure how many coaches want to go to Miami. You have bad facilities, an NFL stadium 20 miles from campus, and poor fan support. The only real plus is the recruiting area. Not every coach wants to deal with the situation in Miami when you know other opportunities will be avail.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
MJMGator;n303041 said:

This. I can't imagine any decent coach wanting to work in that environment with no stadium and few fans other than So. Fla drug dealers.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He is a guy that lucked into a first round talent at QB. That program nosedives when Lynch leaves. He better take whatever job he can now. No one will hire him after next season. I hope he goes to Miami. That said, I think he'll have his pick of jobs. USCe, USCw, and Maryland are all better jobs than Miami right now. Tennessee is likely to be looking for a new coach as well. It is better than Miami. Texas certainly is.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Texas won't be looking for a new coach after this year... maybe after next year, but they are improving so they won't fire Strong this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nor will the Vols after they beat the Dwags and had a moral victory against Bama. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
ATXGator;n303155 said:
Texas won't be looking for a new coach after this year... maybe after next year, but they are improving so they won't fire Strong this year.

Don't agree, I think both UT's will be looking if either lose 2 of their remaining games.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n303162 said:
Don't agree, I think both UT's will be looking if either lose 2 of their remaining games.

Texas will not fire Strong after 2 years. They will give him at least 3, especially after he beat OU.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They will lose a bidding war for any hot coach right now. More importantly, the program has almost no chance of success at this point, so why would any coach with career ambition want to coach there?

Attendance is awful at Sunny Delight Stadium even when they are winning. They have no money. Their so-called fans are never alumni and almost always transplanted New York Jets fans who are unwilling to pay to get into games let alone donate to the program. All you hear from ex-players and call-in radio shows is that the program needs to "bring back the swagger" which is code words for the gun carrying criminals they used to recruit, the late hitting and fighting on the field, throat slashing, $100 handshakes on the sidelines for taking someone out of the game with a cheap shot, shelving drug tests, Pell grant scandals, trainers who pass out steroids to players, city cops keeping things on the down-low, etc., etc..

None of that can't happen in today's environment. Miami built its program by playing the easiest schedule in the country and then playing on January 1st in the Orange Bowl game against a Big 8 opponent who hadn't seen a forward pass all year. They recruited guys who no one else could take because of their criminal history, used steroids to pump up safeties into linebackers, turned the other way while players were committing crimes, and facilitated academic abuse and player payoffs. Society, the NCAA, and yes, even UM, have all put strict rules into place to prevent these types of abuses. Unless Miami gets really lucky, they are done being relevant.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If Fuente wants that job they should break the bank to make sure they get him!

If they try to find a "Miami" guy they will crash and burn. There isn't a "Miami" guy out there right now that's worth a sh*t.

G8RNTN

Proud Gator on RockyNot
Sep 25, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n303114 said:
I agree......And remember that UT may still be looking for a coach by years end.

Butch Jones wont get fired, unfortunately UT will prolly winout all they have left is teams with losing records.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
G8RNTN;n303817 said:
Butch Jones wont get fired, unfortunately UT will prolly winout all they have left is teams with losing records.

Ahh yes, the annual "November to Remember" event for the vols. Throw in a meaningless mid-level bowl win and it's "offseason champs" once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.