Will Spurrier Be Interim Coach?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No. It should have been done last Sunday after the A&M ****fest with the bye week. If we get bowl eligible however, could see SOS pull an Alvarez for one game perhaps.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Webb, the use of multiple punctuation marks and symbols such as ****fest is frowned upon here.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Steve Spurrier considers return to coaching
The college football legend misses working with quarterbacks, he says.

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Steve-Spurrier-considers-return-to-coaching-109390383

Steve Spurrier admittedly misses his ball plays.

The College Football Hall of Famer told The State newspaper if there's an opening at the prep level, he would be interested, but a return to major college football would be too heavy a burden.

“I don’t want to be a head coach. There’s too much involved with the head coach,” Spurrier said Saturday after he was honored at Duke. “If it’s a high school, or junior, well they don’t have junior highs anymore. Just high school, or somewhere there to coach quarterbacks and pitch the ball around.

"That might be something, something I want to do again. It would just have to be the right situation.”

Spurrier abruptly left South Carolina midseason in 2015 after a lackluster start and said the job, notably recruiting, became too time-consuming at his age. At the time, Spurrier said it was time for someone else to take over the Gamecocks.

“Major college ball, these guys, they work 11 months of the year now,” Spurrier told The State. “It’s so different than it was, in the 90s, and even in the 2000s as far as the total amount of hours these guys work.”

Spurrier won 228 games over coaching stints at Duke, Florida and South Carolina, highlighted by six SEC title and a national championship (1996) with the Gators. He's the all-time winningest coach at two major SEC programs, a feather in the cap for one of the game's legends.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If Mac leaves he might take it for a limited period of time. If he wanted it I bet he might already have it, or at least be the OC. He is retired and enjoying it, not happening unless an emergency happens and then only for a limited period of time. Of course I have no special insight here.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
but a return to major college football would be too heavy a burden.

“I don’t want to be a head coach. There’s too much involved with the head coach,” Spurrier said S

It would just have to be the right situation.”

the job, notably recruiting, became too time-consuming at his age.

Of course all of my outlined offer should be resculpted by Spurrier, but by the offerers' honesty as an urgent supplication to rescue UF from a possible kamikazi-HC. See how well Steve thinks he & Kerwin Bell could work out being Co-HCs &/or Co-OCs. An offer sculpted totally by Spurrier & Bell together again in full working agreement. I believe these are the only two CFB ego-personalities able to make such a joint-quest work -- all for the good of 'their' University of Florida.

In this scheme, Bell would do all the things Steve hates doing. This is certainly fair to Bell as he realizes that he is in refinement-training to take over as UF's HC in a couple of years -- Bells dream job. (In the hiring prospectus mention "Steve Spurrier Field" many times.. hell promise him a second statue!)

So, if Spurrier sculpts this UF coaching consortium then UF football will 1) make big positive news in the CFB-scene ... 2) have immense magnetism for top QB recruits along with those who will follow them ... ala Corall 3) prove itself with big wins via dynamite offense ... 4) radiate Gator Pride via Gator-Greats as coaches ... 5) have fantickle pressers ... 6) have in-game adjustments that win the games ... 7) increase fans in the stands, ticket sales .......... 8) ^^ ...$ ... 9) etc. etc.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
His second statute could be a field goal kicker! Or maybe as a coach slinging his visor.

I like the visor-slinging statue. Perchants to dream = SOS stays 3-4 years, he + Bell put UF in the playoffs = then make that a 2nd SOS statue slinging his visor to a receptive statue of Bell. These 2 statues would mark the unusually unique stature of UF wisely recruiting "dual-threat" HCs.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If he wanted it I bet he might already have it, or at least be the OC. Of course I have no special insight here.

I left the special insight disclaimer so no one would take it as my scoffing at you or information you have. I can see almost NO way any head coach at UF would take on Spurrier at an OC. You would have to threaten them with dismissal to get them to go along and many would not even go along then. I also think it would so divide leadership of your program that it would be a disaster.

I also think Spurrier could not get the head job either as long as the powers that be could excuse McElwain's failure to do what he was hired to do. So I think from now to some period in the future is when the window for this opens. I am not sure when it actually opens because that depends on when the UAA administration or the UF upper administration give up on him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If he wanted it I bet he might already have it, or at least be the OC. Of course I have no special insight here.

I left the special insight disclaimer so no one would take it as my scoffing at you or information you have. I can see almost NO way any head coach at UF would take on Spurrier at an OC. You would have to threaten them with dismissal to get them to go along and many would not even go along then. I also think it would so divide leadership of your program that it would be a disaster.

I also think Spurrier could not get the head job either as long as the powers that be could excuse McElwain's failure to do what he was hired to do. So I think from now to some period in the future is when the window for this opens. I am not sure when it actually opens because that depends on when the UAA administration or the UF upper administration give up on him.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I agree our current coach would have to be told to do so or forfeit his buyout. That might work and might not be legal.

I don't see it as a disaster, SOS would run the offense, Mac apparently does little to nothing on game day.

And yes until the Bull Gators are fed up and will pay nothing is going to change.

I would prefer that Mac learn, but it seems he either can't or won't.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Steve Spurrier considers return to coaching
The college football legend misses working with quarterbacks, he says.

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Steve-Spurrier-considers-return-to-coaching-109390383

Steve Spurrier admittedly misses his ball plays.

The College Football Hall of Famer told The State newspaper if there's an opening at the prep level, he would be interested, but a return to major college football would be too heavy a burden.

“I don’t want to be a head coach. There’s too much involved with the head coach,” Spurrier said Saturday after he was honored at Duke. “If it’s a high school, or junior, well they don’t have junior highs anymore. Just high school, or somewhere there to coach quarterbacks and pitch the ball around.

"That might be something, something I want to do again. It would just have to be the right situation.”

Spurrier abruptly left South Carolina midseason in 2015 after a lackluster start and said the job, notably recruiting, became too time-consuming at his age. At the time, Spurrier said it was time for someone else to take over the Gamecocks.

“Major college ball, these guys, they work 11 months of the year now,” Spurrier told The State. “It’s so different than it was, in the 90s, and even in the 2000s as far as the total amount of hours these guys work.”

Spurrier won 228 games over coaching stints at Duke, Florida and South Carolina, highlighted by six SEC title and a national championship (1996) with the Gators. He's the all-time winningest coach at two major SEC programs, a feather in the cap for one of the game's legends.

I posted this in another thread on October 15:

Listened to P. Finebaum interview football handicapper Danny Sheridan several weeks ago. Sheridan had just returned from a trip to Gainesville where he spent time conversing with his good friend, Spurrier. Sheridan said SOS missed coaching and would entertain an OC position outside the SEC not wanting to compete against the Gators. F-Baum asked Sheridan whether SOS would take the Gator OC slot if offered. Sheridan said that question never came up but felt strongly SOS would accept.

#39Lake Gator, Oct 15, 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.