Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz commits to Gators

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Those other rookie coaches were lucky enough to not have followed Dan Mullen—the laziest money-grubbing opportunistic POS of a coach ever to step onto Florida Field.
No argument on Numbnuts being a pile of sh*t.

But LSU had 36 scholarship players when Kelly took over. Their lack of players and depth caught up with them, but coaching matters and ours need to step it up no matter how much folks want to blame the prior staff. In case you forgot, with the portal and it's 3000 plus players, there is no excuse for not rebuilding now, and you can no longer blame the prior staff for 3 years like this forum has done with each of the last 3 ****ty coaches. This year he gets a pass. That was his one and only one though.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Maye entering the portal is exactly what many warned about with regard the portal. It’s literally everything that’s wrong with college football. Number 3 overall QB, so could’ve gone anywhere. Chooses to go to Unc, gets starting role as a Freshman, same coaches, no change in system, but because of having a big year is leaving his team high and dry to pursue better NIL opportunities. I’m no Brown fan, but how many kids shied away from them last class because of them having their guy, or how many kids this go around looked elsewhere since they saw a cemented starter only one year removed from themselves? That’s garbage.
The transfer portal is a dumpster fire. Over 3000 guys were in the portal last year and about 800 found a landing spot. NCAA needs to regulate this thing and not have it the wild wild west.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The transfer portal is a dumpster fire. Over 3000 guys were in the portal last year and about 800 found a landing spot. NCAA needs to regulate this thing and not have it the wild wild west.

I’m convinced that that is exactly what is going to have to happen in order to get a handle on things. Humans often insist on learning the hard way. So for everyone of those kids that walked away from a full ride scholarship at a school, that also gave them a platform to potentially showcase their skills for a pro career, only to then be left completely out all together with neither an education or an NFL hope because of entering the portal, it’s hopefully a lesson learned. I also think the Maye situation happening to a very well respected coach like Brown could potentially help as well. Gonna have to get worse to get better.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m convinced that that is exactly what is going to have to happen in order to get a handle on things. Humans often insist on learning the hard way. So for everyone of those kids that walked away from a full ride scholarship at a school, that also gave them a platform to potentially showcase their skills for a pro career, only to then be left completely out all together with neither an education or an NFL hope because of entering the portal, it’s hopefully a lesson learned. I also think the Maye situation happening to a very well respected coach like Brown could potentially help as well. Gonna have to get worse to get better.
Mack needs to name the schools or just STFU.....

Mack Brown Says 15 Schools Are Tampering With A UNC Starter

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
You couldn't be more right, but that's the reality right now. It's ThunderDome, there are no rules. College football is currently just a mini-NFL without the guardrails of contracts. The portal is nothing more than free agency.
Shane Matthews commented on his pod cast this week that there are rumors that Bama will offer 1-2 million in NIL money to Maye. He apparently was recruited heavily by Nick before going to UNC. Plus he wants to go to a program that can win a championship now. Now more than ever money talks and BS walks.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To sofla's point, the general point of the portal was for players who weren't getting PT to get a better opportunity, not for starters who have a beef with the coach or want to win a title somewhere else. That sets a really bad precedent. Imagine if we had a great starting QB and he decided to leave because he thought he had a better shot at a title at UGA?

The penalty used to be you had to sit out a year if you transferred - they need to bring that back.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just read an ESPN article (Transfer portal takeaways: Best available, potential QB fits and biggest questions per conference) about the transfer portal and one of the prompts was: "The potential QB fit I like the most is..." There was talk of DJU to UCLA and possibly Leary to Wisconsin, but 2 of the 4 responses said Jeff Sims to the Gators.

Before this, I hadn't heard anybody mention Jeff Sims as a possible QB transfer for us. His stats aren't that impressive, but here is what the one that put a full response said (I think it is safe to copy and paste given it is a small segment of a free article):

There are plenty of big names out there. And one who may be a long shot, but could be intriguing, is Georgia Tech's Jeff Sims to Florida. The Gators scored big on the recruiting trail by flipping ESPN 300 QB Jaden Rashada from Miami, but with Anthony Richardson entering the draft, there is room for an experienced QB on the roster. Sims had been inconsistent at Georgia Tech, but he is a talented dual-threat QB who has flashed big-play ability and could benefit from a fresh start. He would also give the Gators' QB room a player in the mold of Richardson who is arguably a slightly stronger passer. Sims would likely also come in with tempered expectations as compared to some other transfer QBs, allowing for a good fit and competitive offseason QB battle.

Didn't we recruit Sims out of high school (the name seems familiar and he is from Jacksonville)? What do you guys think about the fit? I'm sure he didn't have great talent around him at GT, think he could do well in Napier's offense?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I just read an ESPN article (Transfer portal takeaways: Best available, potential QB fits and biggest questions per conference) about the transfer portal and one of the prompts was: "The potential QB fit I like the most is..." There was talk of DJU to UCLA and possibly Leary to Wisconsin, but 2 of the 4 responses said Jeff Sims to the Gators.

Before this, I hadn't heard anybody mention Jeff Sims as a possible QB transfer for us. His stats aren't that impressive, but here is what the one that put a full response said (I think it is safe to copy and paste given it is a small segment of a free article):

Didn't we recruit Sims out of high school (the name seems familiar and he is from Jacksonville)? What do you guys think about the fit? I'm sure he didn't have great talent around him at GT, think he could do well in Napier's offense?
No, he’s awful. Do not want

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I agree. This idea that we can suck next year because it's another rebuilding year is bullsh*t. We are being compared to other P5 teams that had a rookie coach this year, and so far Napier is at the bottom of the class with Venables and Cristobal. Sh*t the bed again next year while Kelly, Riley, Dykes, Lanning, etc are again competing for championships and his seat will definitely heat up. He's not getting fired no matter what next year, but there will be lots of noise in the system if we keep losing all the games that matter. What we do in the Portal and recruiting class now is going to make or break this staff.

Only one of those that you mentioned will be competing for a championship next year and that is Riley.

Dykes was extremely lucky this year; he was a few quarters/luck away from being 7-5. Kelly finished with four losses including against A&M. What did Lanning do?

This is a multiyear rebuild, get used to it

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

If we take Sims, I will be greatly disappointed

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Not sure what part i liked the most - that he sucks, that he is similar to AR, or that he has low expectations.

What's not to like?

:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator