Women’s Softball-what ails the Lady Gators this year?

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Let me speak for all the others. No need to upgrade facilities. Blah blah blah. We only cheer when they are winning blah blah blah. We must reply on every thread blah blah blah.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The Kelly we saw this weekend was different from the Kelly we saw all year, including the postgame interview.
She sounded much more mature and sure of herself than anytime in the past.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Grats to the Gators! SEC CHAMPS

UF's softball team won the SEC tournament tonight, beating Alabama 2-1 in the championship game, their 4th straight win against a ranked opponent. Kelly Barnhill pitched her 3rd complete game in a row, surrendering only 1 run total, improving her record to 30-11 on the year and 100-19 for her career. Amanda Lorenz got a 2-run double in the top of the 6th to give the Gators all the runs they needed as UF improved their record to 44-15, their 7th win against a top 10 team and 17th against a top 25 team. This probably earned Florida a Top 8 seed for the NCAA tournament, which will be announced tomorrow night. Even in a down year by Tim Walton standards, this is a very good and dangerous team.

This thread title needs to be changed, or we need a new thread

This thread just shows the unrealistically high expectations placed on the softball program. This is somewhat of a down year by standards of the Tim Walton era. 12-12 in the SEC and lowest batting average in the conference. But even with those issues, we've played arguably the toughest schedule in the country, best defense in D1, best ERA in the SEC and one of the lowest ERA's in D1, have been in the Top 10 all year, won more games vs. ranked opponents than anybody else, won the SEC tournament and will enter the NCAA tournament probably as a 7 or 8 seed. With any other program fans would be ecstatic. Yet a few claim this is a team of 2-3 good players and a bunch of scrubs. Pretty ridiculous, IMO. We should be celebrating how consistently good Tim Walton and his squad are year in and year out.

All I can say is “You’re welcome!”...oh, and I’m glad I was able to help. There is nothing wrong with this thread title. Walton and the team read this and used it as fuel to win the tourney. If you recall a few years ago, I said Sully needed to be fired if he didn’t win the CWS that year and what did he do a month later...won the whole thing. Are these events coincidence? I think not! Leave this thread and title as is...the girls will use this during the tourney to their advantage. As for me, Walton wants me to give the pre-game pep speech for the first game of the tournament. Only problem is Sully wants me to do the same. Let’s hope there isn’t a conflict.

Oh, one more thing, congrats to the ladies for winning it. Now go out there and bring home the World Series trophy!

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
They rewarded Florida for that difficult non-conference schedule. We beat Washington, Arizona & Minnesota, then went 1-1 vs. FSU. Don' think for a minute that we're the 5th best team in D1, but it's nice this program is so well respected. I hated to see that we have to play another SEC team in the Supers, assuming all seeds advance, especially Tennessee. But Goooo Gators!

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Not bad for 2-3 good players surrounded by a bunch of "scrubs", as a prior poster referred to this team.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They rewarded Florida for that difficult non-conference schedule. We beat Washington, Arizona & Minnesota, then went 1-1 vs. FSU. Don' think for a minute that we're the 5th best team in D1, but it's nice this program is so well respected. I hated to see that we have to play another SEC team in the Supers, assuming all seeds advance, especially Tennessee. But Goooo Gators!
They’ve had us playing another SEC team in the Supers the last 4 years UGA in ‘16, Bama in ‘17, and Texas A&M in ‘18. Now Tenn this year if the seeds hold. I think they set it up so they don’t have 6 SEC teams at the World Series.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've noticed a painful lack of people coming back to at least own up to their negativity & poor-mouthing of this team.

Let your balls drop & man up. Eat your crow damnit.

3b-eat-crow-157673813.jpg

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
3-0 win over Boston Terriers in the 1st game of the regionals. Barnhill goes to 31-11, her 3rd shutout in her last 4 games. Florida only had 4 hits, but they all came in the bottom of the 5th. Lindaman has a 2-out RBI and Hannah Adams followed with a 2-run single. Gators play Boise St. Saturday at 2 pm, who upset Stanford today 9-1.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
UF softball got 6 runs in the 1st and 2 more in the 2nd, while Kelly Barnhill (2 innings) and Natalie Lugo (3 innings) combined on a no hitter as the Gators cruised to an 8-0 win over Boise State to stay in the winners bracket of their regional. Their record is now 46-15 and their pitching/defense have only allowed 1 run in their last 5 games. The bottom of the batting order continues to be crucial for the Gators as Jade Caraway went 2-2 with 3 RBI's, Hannah Sipos had an RBI hit as did Alex Voss and Jamie Hoover. All 8 runs were scored with 2 outs. Looking more and more like a UF/Tennessee Super Regional, as UT is 2-0 in their regional in Knoxville.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
#5 seed Gator softball advanced to their 7th straight Super Regional by beating Boise St. today 5-0. UF outscored their regional opponents 16-0 this weekend and have only given up 1 run in their last 6 games. Kelly Barnhill threw 6 innings and improved her record to 32-11, while the team went to 47-15. Amanda Lorenz went 3-4, but the RBI's were from Roberts, Reynoso, Hoover (HR) and Lindsay. When all the team contributes, this team is really hard to beat and the Gators head into next week's Super Regionals against either North Carolina or Tennessee (winner-take-all game starting at 2:30 in Knoxville) playing their best ball of the season. Not bad for a "down" year for Tim Walton's club. :)

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
It's Tennessee who we'll play in the Super Regionals. UT only scored 2 runs in 2 games against a weak hitting North Carolina team - lost game 1 1-0, won game 2 2-0. UT has 3 good pitchers. I expect the Supers to be low scoring affairs with a key hit or 2 deciding each game. Was hoping to play a non-SEC school. But glad for this team to get there nonetheless.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We lost 2 of 3 at home to UcheaT in early March. We are peaking at the right time.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Game 1 of the super regional against Tennessee tonight, we're halfway through the 4th inning and Barnhill is throwing a gem. Two hits given up, but she has thrown a lot of balls and walked/hit a few batters along the way. Worked out of a bases loaded jam in the 3rd. 2-0 good guys so far, keep it up!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And that's the game! Complete game shutout with 7 strikeouts for Barnhill, final score of 3-0! One game away from the World Series!

:stars:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.