Mac and Company on the Trail

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Harley is no loss. He is more of an ST guy.

And maybe Jake Allen will follow.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Guys, thanks for the research on the transfer regulations. My question is when did this go into effect? UF signed Appleby AFTER those 2 had already been bounced.Maybe it wasn't in place at the time.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Just read on another site that Mich is backing off of him and that his stock has really fallen. He had a bad year apparently. 247 has him at 773rd overall and only a 3 star.

So, if we somehow manage to "flip" (I'm using the term loosely) Herbert , a player that I think the majority of GC was ticked that we lost to meeecheegan, will you still complain? Looks like you've already front loaded your excuse...

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Guys, thanks for the research on the transfer regulations. My question is when did this go into effect? UF signed Appleby AFTER those 2 had already been bounced.Maybe it wasn't in place at the time.

The NCAA created the graduate transfer rule in 2006. The rule was created to prevent taking eligibility away from student athletes that were forced to transfer to further their education. However, a lot of school presidents were unhappy with the rule. They foresaw that athletes would use this rule as a type of open market free agency and not actually work on the degree.

The school presidents in the SEC decided to do something about the situation. When the NCAA rule was passed in 2006 the SEC in turn created a rule that would force graduate transfers to get a waiver from the SEC before they could enroll at a member institution. This was in effect a ban on graduate transfers.

However, in 2014 the SEC member institutions voted to soften the rule and allowed graduate transfers without a waiver as long as they met certain requirements. Among the criteria for the transfer: always stayed eligible as an undergrad; no significant disciplinary issues at the old school; and earned all possible APR points.

That brings us to the current situation.

Vanderbilt QB Josh Grady and Georgia Tech LB Anthony Harrell transferred to Florida in the fall of 2015. Purdue QB Austin Appleby transferred to Florida in January 2016. Grady and Harrell met the APR requirements for the fall semester so Florida was able to sign Appleby in the spring. However, apparently Grady and Harrell did not meet the APR requirements in the spring of 2016.

SEC rule 14.1.15.3 subsection C states: Immediately following both the fall and spring semesters, the certifying institution must provide a written report to the Conference office describing the student-athlete’s academic record and satisfaction of the conditions set forth in this Bylaw 14.1.15.3

As the school presidents originally feared, Grady and Harrell were not actually interested in pursuing a free masters degree. Once the football season was over the two failed to meet the academic requirements in their final semester. Now Florida will pay the price for the next three years.

SEC rule 14.1.15.3 subsection B states: The student-athlete must earn all possible APR points applicable for each term of enrollment. If the student-athlete does not earn all possible APR points, the certifying institution may not use the SEC Bylaw 14.1.15.1 graduate student exception in the particular sport for three years following the student-athlete’s first date of initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution

That means Florida can not accept graduate transfers until the fall of 2019. This type of situation is difficult to avoid as neither the coach nor the school have any leverage once the football season and the player's eligibility are over.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So, if we somehow manage to "flip" (I'm using the term loosely) Herbert , a player that I think the majority of GC was ticked that we lost to meeecheegan, will you still complain? Looks like you've already front loaded your excuse...

No. I just relayed the info from another site. The poster heard that Mich was backing off. I also read he was abused at several camps and looked horrible. When you have the pick of the litter, like UM, it happens. We used to be in that position btw. Remember?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SWAG for bowl game... Jordan brand. The little things that will help. Players dig that stuff and especially the "jumpman" as they call it.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The NCAA created the graduate transfer rule in 2006. The rule was created to prevent taking eligibility away from student athletes that were forced to transfer to further their education. However, a lot of school presidents were unhappy with the rule. They foresaw that athletes would use this rule as a type of open market free agency and not actually work on the degree.

The school presidents in the SEC decided to do something about the situation. When the NCAA rule was passed in 2006 the SEC in turn created a rule that would force graduate transfers to get a waiver from the SEC before they could enroll at a member institution. This was in effect a ban on graduate transfers.

However, in 2014 the SEC member institutions voted to soften the rule and allowed graduate transfers without a waiver as long as they met certain requirements. Among the criteria for the transfer: always stayed eligible as an undergrad; no significant disciplinary issues at the old school; and earned all possible APR points.

That brings us to the current situation.

Vanderbilt QB Josh Grady and Georgia Tech LB Anthony Harrell transferred to Florida in the fall of 2015. Purdue QB Austin Appleby transferred to Florida in January 2016. Grady and Harrell met the APR requirements for the fall semester so Florida was able to sign Appleby in the spring. However, apparently Grady and Harrell did not meet the APR requirements in the spring of 2016.

SEC rule 14.1.15.3 subsection C states: Immediately following both the fall and spring semesters, the certifying institution must provide a written report to the Conference office describing the student-athlete’s academic record and satisfaction of the conditions set forth in this Bylaw 14.1.15.3

As the school presidents originally feared, Grady and Harrell were not actually interested in pursuing a free masters degree. Once the football season was over the two failed to meet the academic requirements in their final semester. Now Florida will pay the price for the next three years.

SEC rule 14.1.15.3 subsection B states: The student-athlete must earn all possible APR points applicable for each term of enrollment. If the student-athlete does not earn all possible APR points, the certifying institution may not use the SEC Bylaw 14.1.15.1 graduate student exception in the particular sport for three years following the student-athlete’s first date of initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution

That means Florida can not accept graduate transfers until the fall of 2019. This type of situation is difficult to avoid as neither the coach nor the school have any leverage once the football season and the player's eligibility are over.

Thanks for the great analysis, now we need to get this rule into all the other power conferences or get it changed in ours. Three years is a long time, and a coach really has no control over what a student might do. I hope it is only for the sport involved since we have one on the bball team, if somehow he went pro and did not complete his degree we would be in trouble there as well.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
No. I just relayed the info from another site. The poster heard that Mich was backing off. I also read he was abused at several camps and looked horrible. When you have the pick of the litter, like UM, it happens. We used to be in that position btw. Remember?

Whether he has regressed or not, he would still add needed depth. A couple of years in the weight room with coaching (please admit our coaches are better than HS coaches) and he may be quite serviceable. I'd be happy to add him to the class if only to perpetuate some recruiting momentum.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is an example of why Mac & staff are having recruiting issues. Bama recuited Jeudy for four years. Mac & staff didn’t have the relationship.

explains why Alabama outlasted Florida, Miami
zachalboverdi_xbbxll.jpg
Zach Abolverdi
ORLANDO, Fla. — Jerry Jeudy signed his financial aid agreement with Alabama last week and will enroll early on Jan. 3.

The 5-star wide receiver from Deerfield Beach, Fla., chose the Crimson Tide over Florida and Miami on July 28, but the in-state schools continued to recruit him.

Jeudy took a surprise trip to Miami on Dec. 9, and the Gators also tried to get him on campus for an official visit before the dead period. Neither program, however, could overcome the Tide.

“Alabama was in my heart and they just stuck there. They’ve been recruiting me for four years strong. I don’t know what could have changed that,” Jeudy said Tuesday at the hotel check-in for the Under Armour All-America Game.

When Jeudy committed to Alabama five months ago, he told SEC Country that Florida was his No. 2 school. But when he shut down his process earlier this month, Jeudy said Miami finished in second place for him.

With two years to recruit Jeudy, UF coach Jim McElwain and his assistants were apparently behind the eight ball all along.

“They could have been in the process earlier. That hurt them,” Jeudy said of the Gators. “But other than that, it was a great school. They have great coaches and a good environment. I just had a longer and better relationship with Bama.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Take a look at the Florida top 20.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here is an example of why Mac & staff are having recruiting issues. Bama recuited Jeudy for four years.
Such a big heaping stinking pile of donkeysh!t. Two of the teams in the top 5 have been in place less time than Donkey.

Besides, even Mac had been here for six years, he would still would have waited until Dec of his senior year to contact. No one had a time advantage on Eason or Stidham but Ole Donkey showed Hee Hawing in December long after the game was over.

He and his staff are just clueless and FVKKING LAZY.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Take a look at the Florida top 20.

Not my point. We could snag the #1 recruit and rex would complain because we don't have the entire Top 20. We're not killing it on the recruiting trail, but some people here won't allow anyone to enjoy winning a battle for a single recruit because clearly we pumpers are declaring we won the whole war.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Not my point. We could snag the #1 recruit and rex would complain because we don't have the entire Top 20. We're not killing it on the recruiting trail, but some people here won't allow anyone to enjoy winning a battle for a single recruit because clearly we pumpers are declaring we won the whole war.

If we pulled in a top 5 class some would then bvtch because they will never get the proper coaching.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GrahamHall_: 4* OT Tony Gray plans to take an official visit to South Carolina, but he didn't know they didn't have OL coach Shawn Elliot anymore

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That's purdy kewl.

Enjoy winning the battle for the 249th best recruit? This is where we are at? This is how far we've fallen?

I definitely need to lower my bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.