2016 College World Series

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can't win it unless you get there. Sully has done it 5 out of 6 times. He gets better every year.

JFC....smh

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Sully is going to have to learn that small ball and manufacturing runs any way you possibly can in certain situations is a necessary evil to winning championships. Unless he adapts, I don't believe we'll ever go all the way. Simple as that.

Amen

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pissed. A Sully fan, but right now I'm willing to listen to the doubters. Tell me the plan that gets us to the next level. Who is the guy? I can't think of one that could even keep us at the level were are at.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
anigif_enhanced-22032-1412703576-16.gif

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Listen, I love being top 5 most seasons, consistently beating our rivals and consistently making it to Omaha, but id be disingenuous if I said I don't think we've plateaued. There is obviously something different about this tourney and sully just hasn't got a grasp of it.

For starters, I haven't seen one single game we've played in Omaha where it looked like we were enjoying the moment and the experience, even games we won in the past.

Coastal players were loose and having a blast, we looked like someone killed the bat boy on the way to the stadium. It was a 1 run game.

I also think our approach to batting is incorrect for multiple reasons as well but that's a different topic for a different time.

Bottom line, this team plays like its got the weight of the world on its shoulders and they are never gonna win that way. Sully either figures out how to get these kids to have fun, play loose and enjoy the moment or the disappointment will continue.

Agree completely with the last statement. Sully has not figured out how to have the guys mentally prepared for the tournament. They just don't seem to be dialed in the right way.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You can't win it unless you get there. Sully has done it 5 out of 6 times. He gets better every year.

JFC....smh

Not sure if losing 2 in a row is "getting better". The team had a better season, but under performed at Omaha. Last year we had a shot against Virignia to make it to the finals. Not too long ago we were in the finals against USC, so I can't say he is getting better every year in terms of CWS performance.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if losing 2 in a row is "getting better". The team had a better season, but under performed at Omaha. Last year we had a shot against Virignia to make it to the finals. Not too long ago we were in the finals against USC, so I can't say he is getting better every year in terms of CWS performance.
Exactly, we may be headed in the right direction during the season but we are in the complete wrong direction once in Omaha. Its gotten worse each year, not better. Hell, the best we ever did was the first time we got there last freaking decade!!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pissed. A Sully fan, but right now I'm willing to listen to the doubters. Tell me the plan that gets us to the next level. Who is the guy? I can't think of one that could even keep us at the level were are at.
Probably isn't anyone phan, and I think that's why some people are throwing out the mark richt references.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right is not a good comparison. Remember Sully dominates his rivals and occasionally wins the conference.

I still only hear people pointing out the problem, not one solution.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Listen, I love being top 5 most seasons, consistently beating our rivals and consistently making it to Omaha, but id be disingenuous if I said I don't think we've plateaued. There is obviously something different about this tourney and sully just hasn't got a grasp of it.

For starters, I haven't seen one single game we've played in Omaha where it looked like we were enjoying the moment and the experience, even games we won in the past.

Coastal players were loose and having a blast, we looked like someone killed the bat boy on the way to the stadium. It was a 1 run game.

I also think our approach to batting is incorrect for multiple reasons as well but that's a different topic for a different time.

Bottom line, this team plays like its got the weight of the world on its shoulders and they are never gonna win that way. Sully either figures out how to get these kids to have fun, play loose and enjoy the moment or the disappointment will continue.

^This... Take a look at how our track team approached the NCAA's business but fun. How the 1996/06/08 Football teams approached the NC games, business but fun. How the 2006/07 basketball team approached, playing with house money and having a blast. The baseball team has the talent, but it's business and soul crushing.

They need to manufacture more runs from small ball, but that is another issue.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think there are definitely some adjustments that Sully needs to make to get the boys better prepared for the series but I also realize how difficult winning it all is. People forget that Sully has only been a head coach for 9 years. It is extremely rare for a coach to win a CWS in their first decade. Even for most of the all time greats.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Right is not a good comparison. Remember Sully dominates his rivals and occasionally wins the conference.

I didn't make the comparison, and like you, when it's been made in the past I've said richt never won anything while sully wins big and beats the rivals. The too good to get rid of but not good enough to win it all is what i think some are referring to.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

JFC....smh
Finally. You forgot to mention that we have the most entitled fans in the history of sports.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, is it true that Sully calls all the pitches? If true, he has far more of an impact on the game than MLB managers, for example.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps he could schedule some training sessions with people that actually know how to manage a baseball game. There's a start.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, is it true that Sully calls all the pitches? If true, he has far more of an impact on the game than MLB managers, for example.

Our pitching staff is amazing, so you're only helping Sullys cause here lol

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Most managers call the pitches, even in the pros. Oh, and we had the lowest ERA in the country this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.