2017 DT commit Jordan Scott

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Quality graduate transfer Defensive tackles are rare but I hope we have our fingers on 1or 2.
Who am I kidding we're completely screwed.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
We gave up 250+ rushing yards yesterday!

That's true, but 80 or 85 yards of that was in the 4th quarter, when their running QB and option offense was working against our 3rd string, which probably had not practiced at all against that style attack. (I think he attempted and completed one pass, didn't he?) We could have put the starters back in to save the stat sheet, but we let them play on. That drive led to a (EDIT: 99 yd drive ending in a) TD.

We allowed one TD in the first three and a half quarters.

We'll win most games only allowing 14 points. We won this game too. Usually it's considered a good thing when you can score in all three phases of the game.

Last edited:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
That's true, but 80 or 85 yards of that was in the 4th quarter, when their running QB and option offense was working against our 3rd string, which probably had not practiced at all against that style attack. (I think he attempted and completed one pass, didn't he?) We could have put the starters back in to save the stat sheet, but we let them play on. That drive led to a TD.

We allowed one TD in the first three and a half quarters.

We'll win most games only allowing 14 points. We won this game too. Usually it's considered a good thing when you can score in all three phases of the game.

I have to agree, our D dominated Misery. The stats in Q4 were against backups and 3rd stringers. Now offense is another question. There's a lot that we had better get fixed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've looked over the roster 4-5 times. Unless I'm missing something, we'll only have 3 DTs next year, 2 if Brantley leaves which is possible. Well, we are doing away with the linebacker position. Why don't we do away with the DT position too? We'll just play 11 DBs. Mac is a trendsetter. Other coaches will be doing it too.
Can't coach or teach speed. God given talent right there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Saw this on 247's board:

Jordon Scott is going into the fall camp at Oregon as the starting nose tackle. According to Willie Taggart he had lost 25 lbs and is now 332 lbs.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw this on 247's board:

Jordon Scott is going into the fall camp at Oregon as the starting nose tackle. According to Willie Taggart he had lost 25 lbs and is now 332 lbs.

:(

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No biggie, it's Oregon - do they even have a defense? It's the Pac-12 - not a requirement. They have 5 teams worse than #108 for team defense.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2016/team/22/p3
Jordan Scott would still be 4th or 5th string DT for us, even as thin at the position as we are.

He's a big body. We need big bodies.

He would 100% play for us this year so I wouldn't scoff at missing (or passing up on) this kid IMO.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's a big body. We need big bodies.

He would 100% play for us this year so I wouldn't scoff at missing (or passing up on) this kid IMO.
Again, I disagree. We got 3 DT prospects better than Scott in the last class - the only thing he had going for him was his weight, but from what remember, we asked him to start losing weight since he weighed like 360 lbs, he didn't, so we distanced ourselves. I'm happy he's doing well at Oregon, but I still believe he'd be 5th or so on our DT depth chart and would be lucky to see the field this year in anything other than mop-up duty.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I disagree. We got 3 DT prospects better than Scott in the last class - the only thing he had going for him was his weight, but from what remember, we asked him to start losing weight since he weighed like 360 lbs, he didn't, so we distanced ourselves. I'm happy he's doing well at Oregon, but I still believe he'd be 5th or so on our DT depth chart and would be lucky to see the field this year in anything other than mop-up duty.
So he's starting at Oregon but you think he's be behind a converted 2 star olinemen and 250lb 2 star dt? You're smarter than this Bart.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with Bart, we basically got higher rated prospects. If we wanted more bodies, Truesdell (sp) was there

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

We lack depth at DT, and this guy is a true DT. Would love to have signed him.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So he's starting at Oregon but you think he's be behind a converted 2 star olinemen and 250lb 2 star dt? You're smarter than this Bart.
Um, Scott hasn't started one game and it's OREGON's defense.
I am smarter than that and will look it up for you since I didn't need to look it up myself - I believe Scott would be behind these 5 guys, like I said:
Bryan - 293 LBs (and the likely starter)
Clark - 319 LBs
Campbell - 323 LBs
Slaton - 349 LBs (bigger than Scott)
Conliffe - 312 LBs (but listing him at DE?)

I don't see any 250 pounders or 2-star O-Linemen in there.
:bart:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not gloss over the " deep-gut" spiritual "catch-fire" that can happen inside a kid ignited by now being in the big-time SEC, center stage in The Swamp, and practicing against guys trying their hardest to beat him out. And for his first time, going against guys who really can 'displayce' him and his jersy # into anonymity? IMO, there will be that transformed guy who will take being tossed into 2nd string or into 3rd-string unused ... he will take it personal, and he will rapidly develop to that stance where when he comes in, there is no dropoff. Love to those over achievers surprise GatorNation as well as his happy,"proud for him" teammates.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Um, Scott hasn't started one game and it's OREGON's defense.
I am smarter than that and will look it up for you since I didn't need to look it up myself - I believe Scott would be behind these 5 guys, like I said:
Bryan - 293 LBs (and the likely starter)
Clark - 319 LBs
Campbell - 323 LBs
Slaton - 349 LBs (bigger than Scott)
Conliffe - 312 LBs (but listing him at DE?)

I don't see any 250 pounders or 2-star O-Linemen in there.
:bart:

Honestly, this would be an issue (Scott becoming a starter at Oregon) IF we had only signed one, maybe two DT's. Since we got 3, this is a non-issue. As far as the player rankings, I agree that we got the better of the 4 (our 3 are better than Scott). But, at this stage in their careers you never know how they'll pan out. Maybe one of our three becomes a bust, gets caught getting high too many times, etc. Let's just be happy we got ours and wish Scott well. He's a long way from home, playing for that A-hole Jim Leavitt, and will have 8 months of rain to deal with....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We NEEDED 6 (to catchup from missing the two prior years. Three was better than nothing though, I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator