2018 Recruits Updated

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Last year as NSD approached I was wondering if we would even be able to sign enough recruits to fill the roster. This year it's August and it looks like we are going to run out of spots.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
IF Fields is ready to decide before the start of this season, I still wouldn't be surprised to see him pick UF. If he's that good he shouldn't feel he can't go where he likes. He just wasn't ready to decide by this past weekend. After all he did come to FNL and threw after he shunned UA's big barbecue weekend.

Then it's up to the staff and Corral.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK. You can have a set aside some time to listen to this. It's not quick. But they talk about why we don't spend as much time in Jacksonville. Particularly because only 5% of the talent comes from Jacksonville. And that we missed on a lot of guys out of Jacksonville. Although Curtis Dunlap is from Jacksonville… So there is talent...

50% of The Florida top 50 come from the three Miami area counties. They talk about how American Heritage could be just like a 2007 Lakeland class. Silk talks about how Copeland is definitely a gator and how the staff has finally fixed the issues that they've been having. And the reason they did that video of them jumping in the water is they know how much they have struggled recruiting and it was a big monkey off their shoulders to finally get the recruiting fixed.

They also talk about how this is the most talent that ever showed up at FNL. They also talk about the push to really bring in some meat on the DL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
OK. You can have a set aside some time to listen to this. It's not quick. But they talk about why we don't spend as much time in Jacksonville. Particularly because only 5% of the talent comes from Jacksonville. And that we missed on a lot of guys out of Jacksonville. Although Curtis Dunlap is from Jacksonville… So there is talent...

50% of The Florida top 50 come from the three Miami area counties. They talk about how American Heritage could be just like a 2007 Lakeland class. Silk talks about how Copeland is definitely a gator and how the staff has finally fixed the issues that they've been having. And the reason they did that video of them jumping in the water is they know how much they have struggled recruiting and it was a big monkey off their shoulders to finally get the recruiting fixed.

They also talk about how this is the most talent that ever showed up at FNL. They also talk about the push to really bring in some meat on the DL.

Sounds like excuses to me. Sure, there's ups and downs in certain areas but Jacksonville has been very good to us (see Tim Tebow). With the sizes of recruiting staffs these days, compared to just 10 years ago, there's no excuse not to "spend time" in a certain area of the state. No one is saying to camp out in these areas, but when Ohio State or Alabama has the time to go there and we're 90 miles away? Like I said, sounds like more excuses to me....

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well if you've ever been in sales you know that you will tend to spend most of your time where your gonna get the most bang for your time. Path of least resistance and all that. You've only got so many resources so you send them where they are most effective. Jax being 90 miles away and having the WLOCP there you'd think that would be home turf but for whatever reason it's slipped.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well if you've ever been in sales you know that you will tend to spend most of your time where your gonna get the most bang for your time. Path of least resistance and all that. You've only got so many resources so you send them where they are most effective. Jax being 90 miles away and having the WLOCP there you'd think that would be home turf but for whatever reason it's slipped.
We've missed out on Wade and other big recruits there. We don't need three recruiters there, but we need someone to provide a presence and glad hand the coaches. That said, extremely happy with our SFL recruiting

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like excuses to me. Sure, there's ups and downs in certain areas but Jacksonville has been very good to us (see Tim Tebow). With the sizes of recruiting staffs these days, compared to just 10 years ago, there's no excuse not to "spend time" in a certain area of the state. No is saying to camp out in these areas, but when Ohio State or Alabama has the time to go there and we're 90 miles away? Like I said, sounds like more excuses to me....

hghjghg_0.jpg

Top row, from left to right, Lito Sheppard, Tim Tebow, Laveranues Coles, Sam Matthews, Travis Carroll and Char-ron Dorsey. Bottom, left to right, Robert Pollard, CJ Spiller, Derrick Henry and Ciatrick Fason.
A Few more notable recruits from Jacksonville area:
https://jacksonville.com/sports/college/2016-02-02/story/top-25-area-recruits-last-25-years

DE DERRICK ALEXANDER

School: Raines, 1991
College: Florida State

OL CHESTON BLACKSHEAR

School: White, 1995

College: Florida

LB TRAVIS CARROLL

School: Bolles, 1997

College: Alabama

RB LAVERANUES COLES

School: Ribault, 1996

LB SAM COWART

School: Mandarin, 1993

DB BRIAN DAWKINS

School: Raines, 1992

College: Clemson

DL CHAR-RON DORSEY

RB CIATRICK FASON

School: Fletcher, 2002

RB DERRICK HENRY

School: Yulee, 2013.

DE CECE JEFFERSON

School: Baker County, 2015

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A Few notable recruits from Jacksonville area:
https://jacksonville.com/sports/college/2016-02-02/story/top-25-area-recruits-last-25-years

DE DERRICK ALEXANDER

School: Raines, 1991

OL CHESTON BLACKSHEAR

School: White, 1995

LB TRAVIS CARROLL

RB LAVERANUES COLES

School: Ribault, 1996

LB SAM COWART

School: Mandarin, 1993

DB BRIAN DAWKINS

School: Raines, 1992

College: Clemson

DL CHAR-RON DORSEY

RB CIATRICK FASON

School: Fletcher, 2002

RB DERRICK HENRY

School: Yulee, 2013.

DE CECE JEFFERSON

School: Baker County, 2015

Add: Lito Sheppard, Ciatrick Fason, Dee Webb, Jason Lambert, Bam Hardmon, Jabar Gaffney (and his dad, Derrick), Fred Weary, James Wilson, Brandon James, Willie McClendon, John L. Williams & Jarvis Williams (Palatka area), Brady Ackerman...

Non-UF guys: Leroy Butler, Derrick Henry, Malcom Thomas, Antwon Ponds, Sam Matthews, Edgar Bennett, Lavernous Coles, Sam Cowart, Brian Dawkins, John Theus (and his brother), Leon Washington, Dez White, Allan Hall....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I could be standing on a chair with a noose around my neck, my wrists slits, a bottle of sleeping pills in one hand and gun in the other and I still think I'd be a happier person than T.

Somebody was not happy with your post, Threat? I think it was the crack about your neck?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wasn't CJ Spiller the one that didn't want to go to FSU but Bobby didn't want him to go to UF so he pulled a bunch of back room deals to get him to go to Clemson.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't CJ Spiller the one that didn't want to go to FSU but Bobby didn't want him to go to UF so he pulled a bunch of back room deals to get him to go to Clemson.

I can't recall. I just remember that we were leading for him is a junior and at some point it all fell apart.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I can't recall. I just remember that we were leading for him is a junior and at some point it all fell apart.
Pretty sure that's what happened. We were really close to landing him. Nobody could understand why he was leaving Florida for Clemson but Tommy was at Clemson and Bobby made it happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last year as NSD approached I was wondering if we would even be able to sign enough recruits to fill the roster. This year it's August and it looks like we are going to run out of spots.
The way it should be. We are THE University of Florida. There is no excuse for less.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Sounds like excuses to me. Sure, there's ups and downs in certain areas but Jacksonville has been very good to us (see Tim Tebow). With the sizes of recruiting staffs these days, compared to just 10 years ago, there's no excuse not to "spend time" in a certain area of the state. No one is saying to camp out in these areas, but when Ohio State or Alabama has the time to go there and we're 90 miles away? Like I said, sounds like more excuses to me....

I agree that Jacksonville has been a productive recruiting area at times for the Gators. There have certainly been some big names that came from the Jacksonville area.

However, it's all about numbers. You want to concentrate your resources where they will reach the most prospects. South Florida has 46 players ranked in the top 100 in the state by Rivals. The greater Tampa area has 27, the vast majority of which are at IMG. The greater Jacksonville area has just 6 high school players that are ranked in the top 100 by Rivals.

It makes sense to focus most of the resources where 46% of the prospects reside. However, Mac has not ignored Jacksonville. Tim Skipper is the assistant coach that is responsible for the Jacksonville area. Skipper is currently the highest ranked recruiter on the Florida staff according to 247Sports. He was the primary recruiter for Matt Corral and JaMarr Chase.

There are currently 8 players on the roster from the Jacksonville area including Nick Washington, Tyler Jordan and Kavaris Harkless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.