Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I always take these w/ a grain of salt...for two reasons: #1) It was written by Crucial and #2) they just visited the campus so it's 'the flavor of the day'....when they visit another team next week, that team is usually 'the team to beat'.

Florida improves standing with DEs Derick Hunter, Kayvon Thibodeaux

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-derick-hunter-kayvon-thibodeaux-visits

Gators gain ground on Georgia for Derick Hunter
Florida had a handful of top-200 overall recruits on campus this weekend for the start of spring football.

The Gators hosted 5-star defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux (Thousand Oaks, Calf.), 5-star running back Trey Sanders (Bradenton, Fla.), 4-star wide receiver Mycah Pittman (Calabasas, Calif.), 4-star tackle Keiondre Jones (Hogansville, Ga.) and 4-star defensive end Derick Hunter (Fort Myers, Fla.).

Thidbodeax and Sanders are ranked as the nation’s No. 1 and No. 6 overall recruits, respectively, in the 247Sports composite.

Hunter estimates that he has visited Florida’s campus “probably 20 times,” but his latest trip was a new experience. After attending junior day in late February, the former Miami commit made a two-day trip this weekend.

“I got the full experience of what it’s like to be a Gator and I love it,” Hunter told SEC Country. “From being in the film room to watching practice and being with these boys in the locker room, I really got to see what it’s like to be a Florida player.

“I was with their defensive line a lot this weekend and all those boys know me. When I come here, I’m like their little brother. That’s big for me. At the University of Miami, I didn’t have that with them. I only had a relationship with one of their players.”

Georgia was the No. 1 school for Hunter heading into the weekend, but that’s no longer the case. He told SEC Country the Gators not only moved up for him, but other recruits as well.

“Oh yeah, they gained on Georgia. It’s even now,” Hunter said of the Gators. “It’s not just me that they gained ground with. They moved up for some of the top players in the country like K.T. and Trey. Those boys are feeling Florida.”

Kayvon Thibodeaux impressed by Florida’s Nick Savage
Like Hunter, Thibodeaux also took a two-day trip this weekend, and the Gators knocked it out of the park.

The nation’s top-ranked player was impressed with the intensity of Florida’s practices and had extremely high praise for first-year coach Dan Mullen, calling him “one of the most honest and respectable men” he’s ever met.

The Gators cemented themselves as a legitimate contender for Thibodeaux, who plans to return for an official visit in the fall. The highlight of his trip was meeting and learning about Nick Savage, Florida’s new director of football strength and conditioning.

“His weight program blew me away,” Thibodeaux told SEC Country. “Coach Savage is probably one of the best strength coaches in the country. He was showing me all the before-and-after pictures of players who have dropped weight. Guys are getting stronger and losing body fat. It was amazing, honestly.”

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I always take these w/ a grain of salt...for two reasons: #1) It was written by Crucial and #2) they just visited the campus so it's 'the flavor of the day'....when they visit another team next week, that team is usually 'the team to beat'.

Florida improves standing with DEs Derick Hunter, Kayvon Thibodeaux

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-derick-hunter-kayvon-thibodeaux-visits

Gators gain ground on Georgia for Derick Hunter
Florida had a handful of top-200 overall recruits on campus this weekend for the start of spring football.

The Gators hosted 5-star defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux (Thousand Oaks, Calf.), 5-star running back Trey Sanders (Bradenton, Fla.), 4-star wide receiver Mycah Pittman (Calabasas, Calif.), 4-star tackle Keiondre Jones (Hogansville, Ga.) and 4-star defensive end Derick Hunter (Fort Myers, Fla.).

Thidbodeax and Sanders are ranked as the nation’s No. 1 and No. 6 overall recruits, respectively, in the 247Sports composite.

Hunter estimates that he has visited Florida’s campus “probably 20 times,” but his latest trip was a new experience. After attending junior day in late February, the former Miami commit made a two-day trip this weekend.

“I got the full experience of what it’s like to be a Gator and I love it,” Hunter told SEC Country. “From being in the film room to watching practice and being with these boys in the locker room, I really got to see what it’s like to be a Florida player.

“I was with their defensive line a lot this weekend and all those boys know me. When I come here, I’m like their little brother. That’s big for me. At the University of Miami, I didn’t have that with them. I only had a relationship with one of their players.”

Georgia was the No. 1 school for Hunter heading into the weekend, but that’s no longer the case. He told SEC Country the Gators not only moved up for him, but other recruits as well.

“Oh yeah, they gained on Georgia. It’s even now,” Hunter said of the Gators. “It’s not just me that they gained ground with. They moved up for some of the top players in the country like K.T. and Trey. Those boys are feeling Florida.”

Kayvon Thibodeaux impressed by Florida’s Nick Savage
Like Hunter, Thibodeaux also took a two-day trip this weekend, and the Gators knocked it out of the park.

The nation’s top-ranked player was impressed with the intensity of Florida’s practices and had extremely high praise for first-year coach Dan Mullen, calling him “one of the most honest and respectable men” he’s ever met.

The Gators cemented themselves as a legitimate contender for Thibodeaux, who plans to return for an official visit in the fall. The highlight of his trip was meeting and learning about Nick Savage, Florida’s new director of football strength and conditioning.

“His weight program blew me away,” Thibodeaux told SEC Country. “Coach Savage is probably one of the best strength coaches in the country. He was showing me all the before-and-after pictures of players who have dropped weight. Guys are getting stronger and losing body fat. It was amazing, honestly.”

I agree with your “grain of salt” assessment, but I see a recurring theme from recruits who like the “new vibe” and “excitement” at UF, whether it’s DM, position coaches or Savage. I’m hoping the Gator brand is truly gaining momentum again.

Also, Sanders was a “surprise” visit, which I hope is another positive sign, both for him and our recruiting vibe in general.

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
I agree with your “grain of salt” assessment, but I see a recurring theme from recruits who like the “new vibe” and “excitement” at UF, whether it’s DM, position coaches or Savage. I’m hoping the Gator brand is truly gaining momentum again.

Also, Sanders was a “surprise” visit, which I hope is another positive sign, both for him and our recruiting vibe in general.

I don't remember a whole lot of surprise visits from 5*'s when Mac was runnning things.

Nothing real yet but it looks like Mullen is pulling us from the depths of recruiting hell.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I think the "surprise" visit was primarily because his brother was visiting and planning to commit. I'm happy he visited, but I'm not going to act like it was some 'unexpected' happening (I'm sure his brother didn't just show up and say, "Hey coach...although I've never met you and you don't know sh*t about me, I'd like to come here as a preferred walk-on!"). I'm sure the commit/visit was in the works. It may have been a "surprise" to Zach and fans, but I doubt the coaches were caught off guard.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are going to be encouraging many of these Butters Specials to finish their career in the Sunbelt or 1AA.

Be careful – Ancient loves him some Butters Specials. He’s worried that Mullen will actually bring in good players and we may be respectable again.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think the "surprise" visit was primarily because his brother was visiting and planning to commit. I'm happy he visited, but I'm not going to act like it was some 'unexpected' happening (I'm sure his brother didn't just show up and say, "Hey coach...although I've never met you and you don't know sh*t about me, I'd like to come here as a preferred walk-on!"). I'm sure the commit/visit was in the works. It may have been a "surprise" to Zach and fans, but I doubt the coaches were caught off guard.

If a 5* enjoyed his visit, that’s a good thing.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No brainer is right. You hope it is a package deal. If not...oops. I remember another pair of brothers from a couple years ago. We got one thinking we'd get the better brother and he went elsewhere. Hearing great things though. I hope it translates.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
It’s nice to at least hear that 5 stars are considering us. Now we just need them to bite. Hunter definitely needs to be kept in state with the good guys. I may be pumping i dunno but I really like the positive vibe associated with the program. Granted the article was written by bowl cut, but there’s a common theme and that is things are changing.

Speaking of changes, have you guys seen the before and after of Lemmons and Scarlett. Butters must’ve had them training with shake weights....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Derick Hunter soaking up knowledge from Florida DL coach Sal Sunseri

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-derick-hunter-sal-sunseri

Sal Sunseri schools Gators DE target Derick Hunter
There’s not much left for Derick Hunter to learn when he visits the University of Florida.

The 4-star defensive end from Dunbar High School (Fort Myers, Fla.) has been coming to campus since his freshman year and told SEC Country that Gainesville is like a second home for him.

So when Hunter made a two-day trip to Florida this past weekend, he knew exactly what he wanted to get out of the visit.

“Now that I’m at this point in the cycle, I’m basically trying to learn the playbooks,” Hunter told SEC Country. “Just sitting in film study and learning stuff I need to work on. It’s always been hard for me to figure out the snap count and tell when the offense was going to run a play. I’m the type of dude that watches a lot of film and studies, but that’s one thing I never got on point before. Well, that was before I came to Florida.”

Hunter had a film session with Florida defensive line coach Sal Sunseri during his trip and received several pointers, including help with the snap count. The session with Sunseri made a difference for Hunter on the practice field.

“I was out there calling what the offense was about to run and it’s easy for me now. I learned that from Coach Sal,” Hunter said. “He taught me that in film study and no coach has ever taught me that. During practice he came over and gave me a little test about it. He wanted to see if I remember what he told me and I did. So he’s a good coach when it comes to teaching us what we’re supposed to know for our assignments.

“He wants to push us. It’s all about listening to him. The help is there. If you want the help, he’s going to push you to the next level. He wants everything to be on point. Some kids might give him a hard time because he’s new, but he gives everybody the utmost respect and want to help us become the best. I see how Coach Sal is and he’s about what he says.”

The 6-foot-4, 281-pound Hunter is ranked the nation’s No. 15 strongside defensive end and No. 186 overall prospect in the 247Sports composite. Florida and Georgia are tied at the top of his leaderboard at this time.

Hunter kept a close eye on the D-line group as he shadowed Sunseri at practice. He told SEC Country the players treat him like a little brother, especially nose tackle T.J. Slaton.

“Me and T.J. go back. I met him when he was playing in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and we hit it off out there,” Hunter said. “I didn’t even know he was at the University of Florida until I saw him at the basketball game on my last visit (Feb. 24). We just sat there and vibed all night.

“Then when I came back Friday, we were in the film room together and we hung out later that night in his dorm room. It was lit. He’s a dog like me. I was definitely watching him at practice and he stood out to me. I think he’s going to do big things in this defense.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
5-star RB Trey Sanders high on Florida’s backfield
Like Hunter, 5-star recruit Trey Sanders also has a relationship with a current Florida player.

The nation’s No. 1-ranked running back visited this weekend with his mother and older brother Umstead Sanders, a junior college linebacker who committed to the Gators on Sunday as a preferred walk-on.

During his time at practice Saturday, Sanders spent more than a hour watching Florida’s backs and came away impressed with the group.

“The backs are special this year, especially my boy Dameon Pierce,” Sanders said. “Me and him are pretty close. I know Dameon from 7-on-7 and that’s where the relationship started.”

Pierce, the GHSAA’s all-time leader rusher, was a key member of Florida’s 2018 class and is one of six players at the position. Despite a loaded depth chart, Sanders believes Pierce has the potential to make an immediate impact.

“He’s quick. To me, he’s got the best stuff out of everybody. He’s probably one of the best backs out there,” Sanders said. “He likes it at Florida. He told me everything has been going smooth. He’s trying to get me to come to Florida. He told me to come be great with him.”

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Pittman, Sanders and KT would be a monster haul. Now if we could reel back I Stevenson and ladson to with them. Oh man. Mullen is definitely putting in the work. Nice to see a UF coach recruiting like it's his job.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Who'd want to go live in Alabama? It's the only place the Tooth Fairy went bankrupt.
We deserve those 5*s from all over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator