Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And this was basically my point and much more. If we consistently recruit Top7, and keep up ST that you brought, I'm fine. And I do agree with you about trying to find a legit way to keep Seider. I do remember Hevesy and Gonzales being two of the first guys on board getting things going. The new WR group was pretty impressive with Copeland and the two transfers, but I don't really know how much of that was Gonzales. So while I get the whole Gonzales is dispensable, I wonder how much value he brought to the transition, since Knox stayed behind. I agree something likely could've been done different.

I guess when I hear continuity. I just think of how efficiently can we get this going, because the more that's installed in the Spring means the more that can be worked on confidently in the Summer. I'll defer to you an others as to the details of practices and meeting groups. And that's really my question...was Seider that much of an obstacle that he wasn't worth keeping. And it sounds like a resounding no, that he was 100% keeping, but find a place for Knox. Perhaps at TE, if Gonzales was valuable on the transition.

What I've found so interesting is that Mullins seems to have the guys playing above their talent level (recruiting ranking), when he was criticized as not able to do that. Granted, it's not like he's got top 30 talent as a top 10 team, but he's basically has Butter's 2 classes and 2 transition classes. So I'm really impressed, but I'll be more impressed if he keeps it up. At the end of the day that top 7 class needs to happen. If it doesn't, he needs to be proactive, which we know he won't be.

On a side note, I've been impressed with Grantham as well, and really impressed with Robinson for his part.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're wrong...that's why all the "shut it down" talk. That's the unique thing about the new 4-game rule.
I think he may be right, but I haven't found any confirmation either way. What does appear to be the case is that most players who chose this route would be eligible for graduate transfers. This may be creating a perspective of immediate transfers. i'll keep looking.

Edit: All the answers to your redshirt-rule questions

"The caveat to that is that the transfer rules still apply, so if a third-year player decides to redshirt for the season and transfer out after the season, he is still required to sit out the following year before being eligible to play. The way around that is for a player to graduate and then transfer, which would allow him to play immediately, similar to the way quarterback Joe Burrow did when he left Ohio State for LSU."

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But...what do we think if we end up with a 10-12 class this year and top 7's every year after?
that we will be a mediocre team for a long time, just hoping not to get embarrassed by much more talented teams.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're wrong...that's why all the "shut it down" talk. That's the unique thing about the new 4-game rule.
Prove it. You have to sit out a year AFTER you transfer.

"Shut it down" means you don't burn a year of eligibility, maybe. (Four in five still applies). You can redshirt. Redshirting a year has never changed the requirement that you sit out.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Prove it. You have to sit out a year AFTER you transfer.

Shut it down means you don't burn a year. You can redshirt. Redshirting a year has never changed the requirement that you sit out.
I already posted the answer to this.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE42018.pdf

From the NCAA brochure, page 16

When Can I Play?

Generally, you need to spend one academic year at your new
school as a full-time student before you are eligible to compete.
This time is called an academic year of residence and is designed
to allow you to become comfortable in your new environment.
Requiring student-athletes to sit out of competition for a year
after transferring encourages them to make decisions motivated
by academics as well as athletics. Most student-athletes who are
not eligible to compete immediately benefit from a year to adjust
to their new school and focus on their classes. Student-athletes
who must sit out for a year at their new school may practice with
their new team and receive an athletics scholarship if they were
academically eligible when they left their previous school. To
confirm, please reach out to your compliance office on campus.
For your academic year of residence to count, you must attend
classes only at the school where you plan to compete and you
must be a full-time student (generally at least 12 credit hours).
You cannot meet this requirement by attending your new
school part time or by not attending school at all. Each school
determines its own full-time status, so check with the athletics
compliance office at your new school to find out how many credit
hours you need to take.
For a semester or quarter to count toward your academic year
of residence, you must enroll before the 12th day of class of that
academic term.

Are there any exceptions?
There are a number of transfer exceptions that could allow you
to practice, compete or receive an athletics scholarship during
your first year at your new school. Remember, other school or
conference rules also may affect your timeline.
How do I find out if I qualify for an exception?
Once it is permissible for you to speak with another institution
(see page 13), talk to the athletics compliance office at your new
school about whether you qualify for a transfer exception. Your
new school will decide if you qualify for a transfer exception.

I don't know where you guys keep getting this stuff from. With few exceptions (family hardship or school probation), unless you graduated you are still sitting out a year.

Here is more:

The NCAA has made several attempts in recent years to change transfer rules, but this is the first to come up with something substantive - if not comprehensive.

Much of the talk about transfers focuses on the so-called year-in-residence, the one year a player in the most high-profile sports such as football and basketball must sit out after switching schools.

There was discussion about easing that restriction, which doesn't exist in most NCAA sports. Golfers, tennis players and other athletes in traditionally nonrevenue sports can transfer one time without sitting out. There was never serious consideration to lifting the year-in-residence altogether, but tying unrestricted transfer to an athlete's grade-point average was considered. That idea has fallen off the table amid concerns about creating an inequitable system that could face legal challenges.

NCAA decides athletes can transfer without permission

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think he may be right, but I haven't found any confirmation either way. What does appear to be the case is that most players who chose this route would be eligible for graduate transfers. This may be creating a perspective of immediate transfers. i'll keep looking.

Edit: All the answers to your redshirt-rule questions

"The caveat to that is that the transfer rules still apply, so if a third-year player decides to redshirt for the season and transfer out after the season, he is still required to sit out the following year before being eligible to play. The way around that is for a player to graduate and then transfer, which would allow him to play immediately, similar to the way quarterback Joe Burrow did when he left Ohio State for LSU."

Thanks for the clarification.

leogator

May 5, 2018
From what I gather because of Auburn's troubles, their prized 5*recruit, George Pickens is looking around. Now granted he was always intimating that he was going to look around but this time he's serious and plans to visit Alabama and Florida. I don't think the odds of us getting him away from Auburn and Alabama are not very good but they are better than they were couple of weeks ago. Other contenders that are recruiting him hard are Georgia and FSU.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This kid is reporting an offer from UF, he's currently committed to NC State. A very low 3-star, ranked around 1400th in the class:

upload_2018-10-25_12-27-52.png

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a story on Monday:

Tuscola's Brayden Monday gets Southeastern Conference Offer

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...ets-southeastern-conference-offer/1761156002/

Six days after Ohio State offered Tuscola senior Brayden Monday, an SEC power has thrown its hat into the ring.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound senior defensive end for the Mountaineers received an offer from Florida on Thursday adding to a list that includes Ohio State, N.C. State, Tulane, FIU, and Charlotte. Monday is currently uncommitted.

Monday's stock seems to be rapidly rising among Power 5 schools.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Here's a story on Monday:

Tuscola's Brayden Monday gets Southeastern Conference Offer

Tuscola's Brayden Monday gets Southeastern Conference offer

Six days after Ohio State offered Tuscola senior Brayden Monday, an SEC power has thrown its hat into the ring.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound senior defensive end for the Mountaineers received an offer from Florida on Thursday adding to a list that includes Ohio State, N.C. State, Tulane, FIU, and Charlotte. Monday is currently uncommitted.

Monday's stock seems to be rapidly rising among Power 5 schools.
Wait until Alabama offers, then he'll be a 4*.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Does anybody remember Lorenzo Lingard the 5* RB that committed to Miami over Florida to the consternation of Gator fans including mine? He has only played in 3 games against patsies like Toledo, FIU and Savannah State for 136 yds. He just injured his kneed and will have surgery this week with a good possibility he will be gone for the season. Meanwhile Demeon Pierce has 295 yds.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

Tuscola is about 30 minutes from us but I have not seen them play as yet this season. They are a traditionally strong program that plays in a competitive conference. The thing to keep in mind about high school football in Western North Carolina is that they don't have spring practice and there are not many teams with elite speed. This region does produce Power 5 players on a regular basis but not lots of them. Rico Dowdle at South Carolina played at my kids' school locally. Charlotte and Raleigh areas produce more SEC level prospects every year than do teams in the western part of the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator