Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Their 40 times are run more like track. It could be that wearing the added gear Percy wasn't slowed as much as other speedsters. ??
Yep, there are people that run real fast in shorts but give them all that extra padding and they slow down a lot.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
Going back and re-watching the Percy games I can't really point to what exactly set him so far apart. He was really fast but we had lots of fast guys. He had great hands, we had great hands everywhere then. I suppose it had to be not loosing much if any speed on cuts combined with the aforementioned traits. Plus he just had a nack of finding holes in the defense.

Loved watching him but ain't seen many like him. That white guy from Stanford a couple of years ago that ESPN wouldn't stop talking about seemed close. McCaffrey maybe. Seemed like they used him everywhere

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Watch his highlights. Seems like Percy's advantage over others was that he wasted no fraction of a second thinking about his path; he just zoomed right away.

leogator

May 5, 2018

Holloway was 5'7", 160, soaking wet with 10lbs of ankle weights. Harvin was 5'11", 195-200. Holloway was used every which way. As a WR, RB, returner. The only thing I did not see is him going into motion and getting a handoff. He was a playmaker and he made plays.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What made Percy so dangerous was his first step upfield. On sweeps he could go from horizontal to vertical quicker than anyone I've ever seen. The defenses were always over running him and couldn't adjust fast enough.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Going back and re-watching the Percy games I can't really point to what exactly set him so far apart. He was really fast but we had lots of fast guys. He had great hands, we had great hands everywhere then. I suppose it had to be not loosing much if any speed on cuts combined with the aforementioned traits. Plus he just had a nack of finding holes in the defense.

Loved watching him but ain't seen many like him. That white guy from Stanford a couple of years ago that ESPN wouldn't stop talking about seemed close. McCaffrey maybe. Seemed like they used him everywhere

Percy had that great first step. Meyer would say he had the best first step he’d ever seen.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This. Effortless and fluid.

The only other player I can think of who looked similar was J Gaffney, but Percy had that extra gear that blows pretty much everyone else away.

I should mention Wes Chandler, but I didn’t get to witness him in person (just before my time) and those old films don’t do him justice, especially for comparison’s sake. I have vague memories of watching replays as a young kid after his draft and was just blown away by what he did on the field. He made one handed catches before it was common.
Fluid? Ever see Gale Sayers?

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
He was that special. It's like saying we need to find another Tebow. It also puts pressure on kids who are nowhere near that status.

I think pressure exists regardless when an athlete is playing at that level but I do agree that it adds an extra layer that is not needed.

There will only be one Tebow and Harvin but I’m ready for someone else to fill the void.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
All of CFB hasn't had a Percy Harven for 10 years, but plenty have schemed players that way with them becoming stars that highlight the game. Shouldn't we do that with Toney or another shifty speedster. Wish we had signed that track-star footballer who wound up going to Tennessee.

I thought you were talking about Schwartz but I’m pretty sure he went to Auburn.

leogator

May 5, 2018
New DT offer, Jason Blissett:

Jason Blissett, Poly Prep, Defensive Tackle

We offered too late, pretty sure he's going to Miami.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I think pressure exists regardless when an athlete is playing at that level but I do agree that it adds an extra layer that is not needed.

There will only be one Tebow and Harvin but I’m ready for someone else to fill the void.
As far as Tebow is concerned, he's easier to replace as a player than Harvin. Dak Prescott was pretty good so was Cam Newton so was Alex Smith. Not to mention Marcus Mariotta. Or Deshawn Watson although he probably did not run as much as the others.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Harvin was fast, 4.41 in the 40 at the NFL combine. But not exceptionally fast like these other NFLers. But for college he was very fast.

It’s not the 40 yard speed that killed the defenders with him. It was the 10 yard speed. Nobody was faster than Percy from 0 to 60. His acceleration was only matched by Bo Jackson IMO. From 0 to 10 yards Percy was Unmatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator