Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My view as of now is he just doesn't have a real good recruiting staff and needs to make a change to get a good recruiter in here. Facilities need to be taken care of also.

At a school like UF its mostly on the people recruiting imo. Heck Texas and A@M haven't had the decent seasons we had in recent years and they had no problem bringing in top 2nd classes with new coaches despite the train wreck on the field.

There's no doubt we need some turnover on this mediocre staff. I think one on each side of the ball would be nice....and as you say, a recruiter.

It's a new era in CFB in regards to recruiting from when Meyer & even Muschamp was here. As Foley said, we're "not getting into an arms race". Well, A&M and Texas ARE in the arms race. Texas recruiting is totally different than Florida recruiting also. Texas is like the Red Sox in that 75% of that area are born a fan. A&M is the step child and that's why they are in the SEC now....but Jimbo Fisher is as good as any CFB recruiter other than Saban & Meyer.

I'll get worried when we fall out of the top 20 and land less than 12 blue-chips per class.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's no doubt we need some turnover on this mediocre staff. I think one on each side of the ball would be nice....and as you say, a recruiter.

It's a new era in CFB in regards to recruiting from when Meyer & even Muschamp was here. As Foley said, we're "not getting into an arms race". Well, A&M and Texas ARE in the arms race. Texas recruiting is totally different than Florida recruiting also. Texas is like the Red Sox in that 75% of that area are born a fan. A&M is the step child and that's why they are in the SEC now....but Jimbo Fisher is as good as any CFB recruiter other than Saban & Meyer.

I'll get worried when we fall out of the top 20 and land less than 12 blue-chips per class.

I am afraid with our schedule recruiting in the teens means 8-4 seasons and maybe a 9-3 if you really catch a break with turnovers. You have to get top 10s in the SEC to truly contend to win it. Auburn who at the time may have been a little under that was about the only team ro win it not doing that in recent years but of course Cam won them about 4 games they don't win otherwise probably.

Now we also have the issue that Georgia is recruiting Bama level since Smart got there.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is what it is. Mullen is not a great recruiter. It will take him several years to build this program up. He doesn’t need a top 3 class though. The QB’s he needs are going to be solid 4* kids who can run first to create number issues in the secondary. He is doing a better job than he did as MSU.

He doesn’t need 5* OL. He needs guys that are road graders, not 260lb OT’s with potential. He seems to be ok there so far, but more work needed. He needs big physical WRs and sturdy RBs. 4*s will do.

Load up on 4*s on D, with some leniency at DT, if appropriate. Sprinkle a couple 5*s at key positions and you’ll be in it most years.

I think we can get by pretty well with Top 10 classes with many being Top 7.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am afraid with our schedule recruiting in the teens means 8-4 seasons and maybe a 9-3 if you really catch a break with turnovers. You have to get top 10s in the SEC to truly contend to win it. Auburn who at the time may have been a little under that was about the only team ro win it not doing that in recent years but of course Cam won them about 4 games they don't win otherwise probably.

Now we also have the issue that Georgia is recruiting Bama level since Smart got there.

Well, that's probably what we're going to be for the near future. This year we're a 6 or 7 win team....next year it's hopefully a game or two better....and after that we'll have to hope the QB position is being manned by a stud (or one that's All-SEC caliber). One thing Mullen seems to be doing really well is QB recruiting (I'm more excited for Jalon than EJ, and Jalon isn't ranked near as high as EJ was). I think the 2020 class will be well inside the top 10 (just my opinion).

Basically if we can become a 9-3, 10-2 team under Mullen we have a shot to win the East and/or the SEC and make the playoff and have a 11-1/12-0 season occasionally - especially w/ the right QB. At this point in time, our program is nothing more than a middling team hoping to crack the top 25. How the mighty have fallen....

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Well, that's probably what we're going to be for the near future. This year we're a 6 or 7 win team....next year it's hopefully a game or two better....and after that we'll have to hope the QB position is being manned by a stud (or one that's All-SEC caliber). One thing Mullen seems to be doing really well is QB recruiting (I'm more excited for Jalon than EJ, and Jalon isn't ranked near as high as EJ was). I think the 2020 class will be well inside the top 10 (just my opinion).

Basically if we can become a 9-3, 10-2 team under Mullen we have a shot to win the East and/or the SEC and make the playoff and have a 11-1/12-0 season occasionally - especially w/ the right QB. At this point in time, our program is nothing more than a middling team hoping to crack the top 25. How the mighty have fallen....

This.

I said it on some thread earlier (might have been this one)...saying we'll be a four-loss team every year if we don't get top-5 classes means we'll be losing to FSU, UGA, LSU, and either USCe/UT/UK or the west crossover...EVERY YEAR.

I don't buy that. I think BMF's scenario is much more likely, even with recruiting classes outside of the top-10 (though I believe we'll be in the top 10 classes in a year or two). I also think it's likely that we just might have the "right QB" either on the roster now (EJ) or coming soon (JJ or AR).

So I'll hope for 8 wins this year (unlikely), accept less as long as its accompanied by progress in S&C, three game phases, execution, discipline, and relentless effort (more realistic), and watch for changes in methods/staff regarding recruiting.

leogator

May 5, 2018
dear lord, dan needs to do everything in his power to get David to stay for his senior year.

getting the stud LB recruits to understudy with David will be key.
Yeah, I am looking at all the juniors and thinking what if they decide to go to the NFL. We'd lose a lot of production there!

leogator

May 5, 2018
From what I understand Wardrick Wilson visited Missouri last weekend (Brad Davis coaches the OL) and now says that he has a decision to make. Do we need to worry there? If he flips who do we have there? Will Putnam becomes a possibility (I thought he was a guard) or do we go hard after Evan Neal? BTW, Will Putnam is officially visiting FSU this weekend.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From what I understand Wardrick Wilson visited Missouri last weekend (Brad Davis coaches the OL) and now says that he has a decision to make. Do we need to worry there? If he flips who do we have there? Will Putnam becomes a possibility (I thought he was a guard or do we go hard after Evan Neal?

Yes, we do need to worry...a little. The staff hasn't been showing him enough "love" (or whatever). OL and Safety are this classes two biggest concerns/issues. I think Wilson sticks, but he's going to visit Louisville and Tennessee as well....and has already been to Miami.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm sorry but recruiting is everything right now and whether you want to believe we dont need top 5-7 classes is on you but it's going to be almost impossible to make the playoffs with classes outside at least #7. Your asking a school to have to go through not one juggernaut a year but 2. I know some are still blind and still think Kirby might not be that good and not worried about UGA but their probably the 2nd best program in the country right now and might be the best by Feb. So even if we somehow get past UGA with lesser talent then you have to beat Bama as well in the SECCG with lesser talent. I'm not worried FSU anymore which is good but like I said the playoffs runs through UGA and Bama for us and if were only pulling #10 classes it's were gonna have to go undefeated and loses very close to in SECG to get a spot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
II know some are still blind and still think Kirby might not be that good and not worried about UGA but their probably the 2nd best program in the country right now and might be the best by Feb.
Poor Nullkev, can't suck on Tagelwain but he can still lick those dwag balls.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm sorry but recruiting is everything right now and whether you want to believe we dont need top 5-7 classes is on you but it's going to be almost impossible to make the playoffs with classes outside at least #7. Your asking a school to have to go through not one juggernaut a year but 2. I know some are still blind and still think Kirby might not be that good and not worried about UGA but their probably the 2nd best program in the country right now and might be the best by Feb. So even if we somehow get past UGA with lesser talent then you have to beat Bama as well in the SECCG with lesser talent. I'm not worried FSU anymore which is good but like I said the playoffs runs through UGA and Bama for us and if were only pulling #10 classes it's were gonna have to go undefeated and loses very close to in SECG to get a spot.

No one disputes recruiting is important....but most of us live in the real world and realize top 5-7 ain't happening - right now.

I asked earlier: Who are we jumping to get to that top 5 to top 7 spot?? Who? Realistically tell me. UGA? Nope. Ohio State? Nope. Bama? Nope. Clemson? Nope. Oklahoma? A&M? LSU? Auburn? Penn State?

You can keep coming back w/ these same comments. But until you wake up and realize it's 2018...and not 2008, you're going to have a harsh reality.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
No one disputes recruiting is important....but most of us live in the real world and realize top 5-7 ain't happening - right now.

I asked earlier: Who are we jumping to get to that top 5 to top 7 spot?? Who? Realistically tell me. UGA? Nope. Ohio State? Nope. Bama? Nope. Clemson? Nope. Oklahoma? A&M? LSU? Auburn? Penn State?

You can keep coming back w/ these same comments. But until you wake up and realize it's 2018...and not 2008, you're going to have a harsh reality.
I was referring to the future not this year. I get it's not going to happen this year.You were saying you wont worry until we fall out of the top 20 and only bring in 12 blue chippers a year. I get it wont happen this year but its imperative we start getting some top 5 in 2020.

I don't think it has to be every year a top 5 but it definitely has to be top 10 every year with top 5's sprinkled in every few years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was referring to the future not this year. I get it's not going to happen this year.You were saying you wont worry until we fall out of the top 20 and only bring in 12 blue chippers a year. I get it wont happen this year but its imperative we start getting some top 5 in 2020.

I don't think it has to be every year a top 5 but it definitely has to be top 10 every year with top 5's sprinkled in every few years.

I think we crack the top 10 in 2020, top 5 may be a reach....but honestly, the difference in #5 & #8 isn't much.....and one non-qualifier from a team in front of you could project you higher, if they re-calculated the rankings (which they don't do). We're in on a sh*t-ton more in-state kids in the 2020 class, and that's the way it should be. Getting as many blue-chips in the class as possible is extremely important when all is said and done (sure, I'd prefer to have 10 top 200 kids than 10 who are ranked 150-350, which is about where the cut off of low 4-star/high 3-star is). But, just like the overall rankings, how much better is a OG ranked 150 vs. one ranked 200 overall?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be top 7 every year with the recruiting base in Florida.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

So what is the impetus to get a kid to commit to us (who haven't been championship-relevant in ten years) over Bama, UGA, tOSU, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Texas, Auburn, Notre Dame, Oregon, or Penn State?
"We're FLORIDA!" doesn't cut it right now. We aren't entitled to a damn thing (thank you, Foley!).

We've got to show that we're competitive with those teams. We are 7-18 against teams in that group (collectively) over the past ten years. You're not gonna fix that image in a year or two.

Aug 1, 2018

We don't have anything close to the staff's recruiting ability at 7 of those schools (Auburn close, LSU maybe close). Gotta make upgrades like you said (looking at you English). January will be a big month for Mullen and the football program as a whole. Loyalty can sink coaches, especially when the coach came from a lesser school.

Also, I've recently seen video of Texas Tech and Texas A&Ms locker rooms on TV and they are stunning. That should be embarrassing to our administration. I know A&M has big bags, but TTU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.