Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Yes I understand the concept of the analytics, but that also means that kids can't field for shyt and don;t understand defensive fundamentals b/c while on defense it is either HR or K for the offense so it is a lot of standing and nose picking on defense. All the more reason to put the ball in play. Anyway, different strokes for different folks. And I can't agree with you comparing Vandy and UF in anything, especially sports. I especially said in my earlier post that VU is an outlier in baseball in the SEC. I am pretty sure that if Tim Corbin had access to unlimited players like all the PUBIC state univs. have, I am sure he will do just fine. He has done great and built an entire sport without having access to every player out there. But he sure has gotten a shyt ton of good players, no doubt about it.

You're right, Vandy is an outlier. As a private institution, they're able to offer Opportunity Vandy. I'm not fully versed in the intricacies of it, but basically it provides full cost of attendance to any kid whose family makes less than (I believe) 250k a year, giving them a major advantage over public universities. There's a reason little ol' Vandy also has top 5 recruiting classes each and every year. Do you really not know that, or do you not bring it up because is doesn't fit the narrative?

Saying kids don't understand defensive fundamentals because they're standing around watching HR's and K's is asinine. It has nothing to do with the style of play and everything to do with coaches choosing to start players with a better offensive than defensive skill set. Not everyone is great defensively, but when you can mash coaches find a spot for you.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Household AGI under $100k - You pay nothing.
Household AGI under $175k - You barely pay anything.

You only pay full price if your household AGI is over $250k.

Its the same model that the Ivy League, Duke and Stanford have used for years. They are calling it Opportunity Vanderbilt.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
That is a great post, discussion and analysis. Admittedly I have been aggravated and befuddled by all of the strikeouts and men left on base which has led me to doubt Sully's coaching. While I understand the analytics, I also know that to win games against top tier pitching a team has to be versatile in its plate approach depending on the circumstances. I also believe that putting the ball in play with men on base is more successful than striking out which proved to be the case so far this weekend. I also know that keeping your eye on the ball combined with a well controlled swing and follow through is more successful at putting the ball over the fence than the wild uncontrolled swings some of these guys are taking regardless of 'launch angle'. Hitting deep fly ball outs is only productive with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. On base percentage, RBI's and slugging percentage wins more games than solo home runs and strikeouts, which I will not spend the time or the money to watch. Sully is not going to be fired, I just wish that he would teach the players to choke up on the bat and protect the plate when they have 2 strikes instead of swinging at terrible pitches or watching called 3rd strikes.
I agree that versatility is great, it's just easier said than done. Kids are taught to pull for power and very few of them can go oppo on an outside pitch. I once heard an interview with Daniel Murphy where he said he would've been out of baseball if he hadn't gotten to the Mets and been taught to scrap hitting to all fields. For some players, it's the best formula. I disagree, or at least I'm not sure, if putting the ball in play with runners on results in more runs. I know I'd rather see someone strike out with runners on and less than 2 out than see them hit into a double play. You may be right, it would be interesting to see the analytics on that one. Swinging at pitches out of the zone and watching 3rd strikes isn't tied to approach. There are numerous power hitters that have great plate discipline.

I'll put it to you this way. My kid's hitting coach spent 20 years in the minors and another 10 in college ball. A former big leaguer with the Indians once said he had more baseball knowledge in his little finger than the entirety of the Indians staff. The old school coach switched to the dark side and teaches hitting the ball in the air, even if it means more K's, because he knows it produces more runs.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I agree that versatility is great, it's just easier said than done. Kids are taught to pull for power and very few of them can go oppo on an outside pitch. I once heard an interview with Daniel Murphy where he said he would've been out of baseball if he hadn't gotten to the Mets and been taught to scrap hitting to all fields. For some players, it's the best formula. I disagree, or at least I'm not sure, if putting the ball in play with runners on results in more runs. I know I'd rather see someone strike out with runners on and less than 2 out than see them hit into a double play. You may be right, it would be interesting to see the analytics on that one. Swinging at pitches out of the zone and watching 3rd strikes isn't tied to approach. There are numerous power hitters that have great plate discipline.

I'll put it to you this way. My kid's hitting coach spent 20 years in the minors and another 10 in college ball. A former big leaguer with the Indians once said he had more baseball knowledge in his little finger than the entirety of the Indians staff. The old school coach switched to the dark side and teaches hitting the ball in the air, even if it means more K's, because he knows it produces more runs.

You perhaps might be correct regarding total tuition, but you are incorrect when it comes to them playing baseball. If they are given an academic scholarship, then technically they would be considered a WALK ON, and thus would NOT count against the 12 or so scholarships that baseball teams are allowed to split how they see fit amongst 30 or so players. I really do not care, but please feel free to let me know how many WALK ON's Vandy has and exactly how they have split up their schollies. a player who gets 50% schollie to play baseball is very lucky.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So I saw only the top of the 1st inning today and admit I literally fell out of my chair. In the top of the 1st inning, UF up 2-0, runners on 1st and 2nd and NO outs, the 5 hole hitter up, Sully calls for a SAC Bunt. That is right out of the Augie Garrido. Cliff Gustafson school of college baseball. 99% of coaches would have gone for the jugular with a power hitter up in the 1st inning and I understand that. The bunt was successful and the next hitter Sac flied the run home. I can't remember the last time the Gators successfully made 2 consecutive productive outs in a row while trying to do so. Kudos to Sully.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
You perhaps might be correct regarding total tuition, but you are incorrect when it comes to them playing baseball. If they are given an academic scholarship, then technically they would be considered a WALK ON, and thus would NOT count against the 12 or so scholarships that baseball teams are allowed to split how they see fit amongst 30 or so players. I really do not care, but please feel free to let me know how many WALK ON's Vandy has and exactly how they have split up their schollies. a player who gets 50% schollie to play baseball is very lucky.

I don't know what the breakdown is for walk on's vs actual baseball scholarships, I just know they're all either playing for free or barely paying anything. Semantics the best you've got?

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Really good job by the gators to bounce back and dominate in games 2 and 3. Going on the road and coming back to win the series against a rival and top 25 has got to give our guys more confidence. I imagine that we will move up very slightly in the polls.

Loved the small-ball by Sully. Commentators discussed how Sully has vowed to do a lot more of that this year. We still haven't seen enough games out of this team to know who they really are but that was a solid weekend of baseball for us.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Earl Weaver vs Whitey Herzog. Real baseball is adjusting to the circumstances on the field. When the only tool in the toolbox is gorilla ball its not baseball. the name should be changed. Maybe create a new sport called gorilla ball

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Gators actually scored some runs today hitting behind the shift, Thompson hit a routine grounder past the normal SS position with the shift on driving in two and later in the game Armstrong hit a roller right to where 2B normally plays plating 2 against the shift.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Gotta hand it to @dz_23 he said UF wins series after game 1 loss and said so with confidence.

I don’t follow every pitch as I once did, but I’ve watch pieces of every game. I think this squad has a chance to be good, if we get some pitching depth (which so far seems like we have a few healthy arms) and timely hitting, who knows.

I do know it’s baseball and way to early to make any predictions, but we struggled with midweek games in the past and not sure we would have come back from down game1 at UM.

I’ll continue to watch and support but won’t get excited or down until midway through SEC play.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Earl Weaver vs Whitey Herzog. Real baseball is adjusting to the circumstances on the field. When the only tool in the toolbox is gorilla ball its not baseball. the name should be changed. Maybe create a new sport called gorilla ball
You guys act as if players aren't skilled just because they hit the ball out of the park. Cody Bellinger cut down his swing in the playoffs this year and was great. He's also an elite defensive OF and first baseman. Justin Turner pulls for power until he has two strikes, then tries to hit it to the right side. Freddie Freeman hits to all fields. You play to your strengths. It's the same in college ball, they're just not as good at it. Unless your name is Acuna, Soto or Franco, it takes time.

It's all real baseball. I enjoy small ball, but I also enjoy Bob Welch vs. Reggie Jackson or Josh Hader vs Freddie Freeman.

Reggie vs Tony Gwynn. I'll take Reggie, and it ain't even close.

Last edited:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You guys act as if player's aren't skilled just because they hit the ball out of the park. Cody Bellinger cut down his swing in the playoffs this year and was great. He's also an elite defensive OF and first baseman. Justin Turner pulls for power until he has two strikes, then tries to hit it to the right side. Freddie Freeman hits to all fields. You play to your strengths. It's the same in college ball, they're just not as good at it. Unless your name is Acuna, Soto or Franco, it takes time.

It's all real baseball. I enjoy small ball, but I also enjoy Bob Welch vs. Reggie Jackson or Josh Hader vs Freddie Freeman.

I have no doubt that the players are talented enough to learn and execute and many of them do when the situation calls for it. My point is that having watched Gator baseball for over 25 years, Sully's teams have increasingly relied on the home run to win games and have consequently quit protecting the plate, choking up on the bat, putting the ball in play to generate RBI's , etc, etc. I think it is coaching and that is why I did not renew my season tickets this year.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
You guys act as if player's aren't skilled just because they hit the ball out of the park. Cody Bellinger cut down his swing in the playoffs this year and was great. He's also an elite defensive OF and first baseman. Justin Turner pulls for power until he has two strikes, then tries to hit it to the right side. Freddie Freeman hits to all fields. You play to your strengths. It's the same in college ball, they're just not as good at it. Unless your name is Acuna, Soto or Franco, it takes time.

I'll take 9 Tony's and you take 9 Reggies and it won't be close. The guy that K's the most against the guy the damn near never K'd and might have the best all time BA in MLB history.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That Langford kid looks like a monster at the plate - hope he can maintain the confidence.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I have no doubt that the players are talented enough to learn and execute and many of them do when the situation calls for it. My point is that having watched Gator baseball for over 25 years, Sully's teams have increasingly relied on the home run to win games and have consequently quit protecting the plate, choking up on the bat, putting the ball in play to generate RBI's , etc, etc. I think it is coaching and that is why I did not renew my season tickets this year.
I understand and hear ya, I'm just saying it's not as bad as some think. Either way, power pitching has necessitated the move to more gorilla ball, and it's at all levels of baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.