Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I'll take 9 Tony's and you take 9 Reggies and it won't be close. The guy that K's the most against the guy the damn near never K'd and might have the best all time BA in MLB history.
Nope, the guy with more walks, runs, total bases, RBI's, HR's, MVP's, WS MVP's, a higher OPS+, higher WAR and 5 championships to none. Mr. October vs Mr. Padre. You'd lose.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Nope, the guy with more walks, runs, total bases, RBI's, HR's, MVP's, WS MVP's, a higher OPS+, higher WAR and 5 championships to none. Mr. October vs Mr. Padre. You'd lose.

Not necessarily true.. Jackson had the best team behind him money could buy.. Gwynn, not so much.. All those walks and hr's don't score much without other runners...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Various baseball athletes make baseball super exciting ... with spectators watching with excited expectations. My enjoyment has long been retired. I used to love those leadoff batters getting on-base, possibly stealing (going for a record), affecting the pitcher's rhythm, tension cranked up, until the "cleanup" batters rip the ball screaming through the air. ?? Best love = seeing that ball fly over that fence. Only one swing gains the title of "grand" slam.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Now you're showing me you limited understanding of the game. Let's have a pitching rotation of Maddox, Smoltz, Pedro and Herschiser and see how it goes?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
They aren't bad but I would go with Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax. The hit batters and fistfights would be epic
Yeah, can't leave Koufax off, and hard to ignore Gibson, but we do have to make allowances for the real old days when pitchers threw with very little rest.
Spahn, Sain and a day of rain.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Yeah, can't leave Koufax off, and hard to ignore Gibson, but we do have to make allowances for the real old days when pitchers threw with very little rest.
Spahn, Sain and a day of rain.
Actually brush back was a high hard fast ball aimed at the temple. The pitcher owned the plate and 12 inches on both sides.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Now you're showing me you limited understanding of the game. Let's have a pitching rotation of Maddox, Smoltz, Pedro and Herschiser and see how it goes?

How exactly does a make believe pitching staff have anything to do with it? If you're trying to say Gwynn would do better against them, it's the exact opposite. He'd have to string together 3 hits in an inning vs 1 swing of the bat for Reggie. There's a reason everyone tries to hit the ball out of the park.

Here's what you need to know. Gwynn hit .338 to Jackson's .262, but the on base was .388 vs .352. So he only reached base a little over 3 times more per 100 AB's than Jackson did, but Jackson hit over 4x as many HR's. All of those singles Gwynn hit were somewhat offset by Jackson's walks, but nothing Gwynn did offset Jackson's HR's. Gwynn had 1383 runs vs Jackson's 1551, and 1138 RBI's to Jackson's 1702. WAR was 69.2 for Gwynn and 73.9 for Jackson, and OPS+ was 132 vs 139. Gwynn never won an MVP and finished in the top 5 only once, while Jackson won 1 and finished in the top 5 five times.

Gwynn was a great hitter, 22nd all time in batting average, but he was no better than Wade Boggs. Jackson is 14th all time in HR's and would be top 10 if not for the roid era. On top of all of that, Jackson was Mr. fuchin October, one of the clutchest hitters of all time. He raised his average in the playoffs (facing the best pitchers) to .278, .358 OBP, and 18 HR's in 77 games; while Gwynn's dropped to .306, .339 OBP, and 1 HR in 27 games. Outside of San Diego, there's not a GM in the league that would take Gwynn over Jackson.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
"Somewhat offset" and "only reached base a little over 3 times more"? All those singles were in the spot. You do know that in order to score more than one RBI with a HR someone in front of you has to be on base. As was pointed out earlier, Jackson had a helluva team behind him, Gwynn not so much so in order to be "Mr. October" you actually have to make the playoffs and during that time there were no wildcards. That's "make believe" pitching lineup actually existed and in order to compare apples to apples I'd expect the two of them would need to face the same rotation. Gwynn had more double and triples than Jackson so "all those singles"......I'll take over all those K's that Jackson had. And singles usually score runners on 2nd, particularly with a mixed hitter like Tony slapping shyt to RF.

Reggie Jackson vs Tony Gwynn Comparison
I'll let this speak for itself.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ultimately you are measured on Championships. Sully has them 8 of them (1NC, 2 SECT, and 5 SEC regular), Gwynn has Zero. Gwynn a great player and all time great but ZERO titles.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
"Somewhat offset" and "only reached base a little over 3 times more"? All those singles were in the spot. You do know that in order to score more than one RBI with a HR someone in front of you has to be on base. As was pointed out earlier, Jackson had a helluva team behind him, Gwynn not so much so in order to be "Mr. October" you actually have to make the playoffs and during that time there were no wildcards. That's "make believe" pitching lineup actually existed and in order to compare apples to apples I'd expect the two of them would need to face the same rotation. Gwynn had more double and triples than Jackson so "all those singles"......I'll take over all those K's that Jackson had. And singles usually score runners on 2nd, particularly with a mixed hitter like Tony slapping shyt to RF.
Reggie Jackson vs Tony Gwynn Comparison
I'll let this speak for itself.

Thanks for posting the link showing Jackson is better. Great Job!

Yup, Jackson helped his team win his division and make the playoffs much more frequently than Gwynn. Once again, thanks for pointing that out. He only played for the Yanks for 5 years, 1/4 of his career, btw. Yes, it's a make believe staff because they never fuching played together. There was only 5 years of overlap in their careers, playing in different leagues, so it would be nearly impossible to compare your apples to apples. No one faced that rotation, but again, Jackson's numbers went up in the playoffs, AGAINST BETTER PITCHING, while Gwynn's went down. Singles don't always score runners from second, especially when you can play shallow because the batter doesn't hit it over your head. You know what always scores runners from first, second and third, and scores runs without anyone being on base? Home runs! Are you really trying to argue Gwynn was better at driving in runs despite the fact that Reggie had over 500 more RBI's? Reggie is 27th on the career list, Gwynn barely cracks the top 200 at 194. Holy fuch! Yes, Gwynn had 80 more doubles, about 4 per year, and 36 more triples, less than 2 per year. Jackson had 428 more HR's, an average of 21 per year!

There's only one person in this discussion with a limited understanding of the game, and it's not me!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for posting the link showing Jackson is better. Great Job!

Yup, Jackson helped his team win his division and make the playoffs much more frequently than Gwynn. Once again, thanks for pointing that out. He only played for the Yanks for 5 years, 1/4 of his career, btw. Yes, it's a make believe staff because they never fuching played together. There was only 5 years of overlap in their careers, playing in different leagues, so it would be nearly impossible to compare your apples to apples. No one faced that rotation, but again, Jackson's numbers went up in the playoffs, AGAINST BETTER PITCHING, while Gwynn's went down. Singles don't always score runners from second, especially when you can play shallow because the batter doesn't hit it over your head. You know what always scores runners from first, second and third, and scores runs without anyone being on base? Home runs! Are you really trying to argue Gwynn was better at driving in runs despite the fact that Reggie had over 500 more RBI's? Reggie is 27th on the career list, Gwynn barely cracks the top 200 at 194. Holy fuch! Yes, Gwynn had 80 more doubles, about 4 per year, and 36 more triples, less than 2 per year. Jackson had 428 more HR's, an average of 21 per year!

There's only one person in this discussion with a limited understanding of the game, and it's not me!

You neglected the abysmal K differential. I guess that no big deal? And if you acknowledge that Gwynn hit more doubles and triples why would you conclude the OF played him shallow?
If that's what you saw in this stats your clueless my friend. Had Gwynn batted cleanup he would probably had more particularly since he K's so little compared to Mr. oKtober, but that position has always been reserved for the so-called slugger which I am fine with but I look a little deeper than you clearly.

So according to you, Thompson and Fabian are better because the have more RBI's? As a matter of fact, Colby is 5th in RBI's at the moment. And Jackson K'd 26% of the time he went to bat. Gwynn 5%.

upload_2022-3-8_14-23-53.png

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Ultimately you are measured on Championships. Sully has them 8 of them (1NC, 2 SECT, and 5 SEC regular), Gwynn has Zero. Gwynn a great player and all time great but ZERO titles.
As a coach yes. Player NO! Particulary in baseball.

Hall of Famers with no WS ring.
Cobb
Carew
Ted Williams
Griffey Jr.

Kershaw and Trout also currently no WS rings.

But hey, Victor Robles has a ring so he's better.

Last edited:

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
As a coach yes. Player NO! Particulary in baseball.

Hall of Famers with no WS ring.
Cobb
Carew
Ted Williams
Griffey Jr.

Kershaw and Trout also currently no WS rings.

But hey, Victor Robles has a ring so he's better.

Not to mention Ernie Banks.. Who never even won an NL championship

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I've sent this question ot 10 guys so far. 3 are HS coaches and one is a college coach. Oh, and Michael Cuddyer. Who would you rather start you new franchise with....Gwynn is undefeated so far.
"anyone that wants to start their org. with Reggie Jackson will be out of business in a year"

Last edited:

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Anybody got the goods on Jacksonville. I know they already beat the clowns and seem to be a decent team at 8-4. But, they only played one away game; they traveled all the way to Daytona in a loss to B-C. 90 minutes to first pitch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.