Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Anybody got the goods on Jacksonville. I know they already beat the clowns and seem to be a decent team at 8-4. But, they only played one away game; they traveled all the way to Daytona in a loss to B-C. 90 minutes to first pitch!
Thanks for reminding me. Is that in the SECN?

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Thanks for reminding me. Is that in the SECN?

Unfortunately, it's on SECN+. We don't have a regular TV game until March 25 (LSU); however, for those with SECN+, they are all televised. Floridagators.com has the radio broadcast and live stats.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I've sent this question ot 10 guys so far. 3 are HS coaches and one is a college coach. Oh, and Michael Cuddyer. Who would you rather start you new franchise with....Gwynn is undefeated so far.
"anyone that wants to start their org. with Reggie Jackson will be out of business in a year"
Bottom of six and we just scored our first run. Two runners on w 2 outs, pitcher change. We have had two pitchers toss a 1 hitter so far.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I've sent this question ot 10 guys so far. 3 are HS coaches and one is a college coach. Oh, and Michael Cuddyer. Who would you rather start you new franchise with....Gwynn is undefeated so far.
"anyone that wants to start their org. with Reggie Jackson will be out of business in a year"
I'd pick Gwynn over Jackson to start a franchise with for the primary reason he showed up every day and played with no drama. As much as I loved watching Reg he was a drama whore of the worst order. Damn fun to watch

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I'd pick Gwynn over Jackson to start a franchise with for the primary reason he showed up every day and played with no drama. As much as I loved watching Reg he was a drama whore of the worst order. Damn fun to watch
My guess is it's a no brainer who would be better in the clubhouse and as a leader.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Guys, take your non gator BS to another thread, or call each other

Back to Gator Ball

Gators win 1-0. I like this Ficarotta kid

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why don't you pro ball guys get a room......

Gator with 1st shutout of the season.......1 - 0 over JU.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Lots of opportunities for clutch hits and we only got one. It was all we needed though. Gators win 1-0 in a game that they probably would have lost last year. Pitching might be able to bail us out of some more games this year.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Guys, take your non gator BS to another thread, or call each other

Back to Gator Ball

Gators win 1-0. I like this Ficarotta kid
I think Sully had a plan tonight and it worked. Here is what I saw Tyler Nesbitt has come back from injury and as the season progresses he can eat up some innings. Sully let Ryan Slater extend innings tonight and I think it was an audition to become our Sunday starter, Manning has been OK but not consistent enough for the SEC. Ficarotta may have been auditioning for the closer role and he passed the audition IMO. Barco, Sproat and Slater on weekends with Manning or Milchin starting mid-week, sounds right to me. Anyone know what's the deal with Pierce Coppola who started opening weekend and has been invisible since, is he injured?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Wow 1-0 in a mid week game and not the :nole::nole:, that is unusual. Did not see it, but I have determined we have enough arms, finally, but are they good enough, time will tell. Yes Coppola had back tightness, stiffness causing him to scratch in weekend 2, so perhaps they are taking it slowly or it is more serious. I would not move Slater into the rotation. Like him in the pen right now.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
You neglected the abysmal K differential. I guess that no big deal? And if you acknowledge that Gwynn hit more doubles and triples why would you conclude the OF played him shallow?
If that's what you saw in this stats your clueless my friend. Had Gwynn batted cleanup he would probably had more particularly since he K's so little compared to Mr. oKtober, but that position has always been reserved for the so-called slugger which I am fine with but I look a little deeper than you clearly.

So according to you, Thompson and Fabian are better because the have more RBI's? As a matter of fact, Colby is 5th in RBI's at the moment. And Jackson K'd 26% of the time he went to bat. Gwynn 5%.

Just because Gwynn hit some balls over OF's heads doesn't mean they didn't play him shallow. I watched him play, his greatness was more about hitting it where they weren't, serving one down the line into LF, not hitting it over their heads. 7 HR's a year reinforces that point. And I never said RBI's were the only or even the main criteria. Was that a straw man or a red herring, I can't keep them straight. I've cited HR's, runs, RBI's, OPS+, WAR, walks, MVP finishes, playoff performances, championships and I'll add total bases, in which Jackson had 600 more. You implied Gwynn's singles were great scoring runners from second, I merely pointed out Jackson scored runners from every base to the tune of 564 more. If he batted 1-3 in the lineup like Gwynn did the majority of his career, do you think would've added to his 168 runs scored lead?

You look deeper? Your whole argument is based on a better average, 4 more doubles per season, and less K's. Jackson struck out a ton, but despite all the k's he still produced 600 more total bases and 732 more runs either driven in or scored. He was also better according to OPS+ and WAR, the two most cited advanced metrics. On top of all of that, he won a regular season MVP, had 4 more top 5's, and 2 WS MVP's. You know those, the MOST VALUABLE PlAYER helped two franchises to a total of 5 WS titles in 6 attempts.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017

It's the Bronx Zoo... Tommy John once said Jackson "was a two-way buffer between the team and Steinbrenner, and between us and the press. That allowed other guys to go about their business in relative peace." We know he caused some problems, but it sounds like he also took the heat for his teammates.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Wow 1-0 in a mid week game and not the :nole::nole:, that is unusual. Did not see it, but I have determined we have enough arms, finally, but are they good enough, time will tell. Yes Coppola had back tightness, stiffness causing him to scratch in weekend 2, so perhaps they are taking it slowly or it is more serious. I would not move Slater into the rotation. Like him in the pen right now.
Thanks for the update on Coppola, I believe he has an extremely high upside and I think being careful is prudent. So far Slater has looked really good in any role so we will see which way Sully rolls. I don't think he is settled on Manning as the third weekend starter. If Sproat can continue pitching to high expectations we have two written in ink.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Just because Gwynn hit some balls over OF's heads doesn't mean they didn't play him shallow. I watched him play, his greatness was more about hitting it where they weren't, serving one down the line into LF, not hitting it over their heads. 7 HR's a year reinforces that point. And I never said RBI's were the only or even the main criteria. Was that a straw man or a red herring, I can't keep them straight. I've cited HR's, runs, RBI's, OPS+, WAR, walks, MVP finishes, playoff performances, championships and I'll add total bases, in which Jackson had 600 more. You implied Gwynn's singles were great scoring runners from second, I merely pointed out Jackson scored runners from every base to the tune of 564 more. If he batted 1-3 in the lineup like Gwynn did the majority of his career, do you think would've added to his 168 runs scored lead?

You look deeper? Your whole argument is based on a better average, 4 more doubles per season, and less K's. Jackson struck out a ton, but despite all the k's he still produced 600 more total bases and 732 more runs either driven in or scored. He was also better according to OPS+ and WAR, the two most cited advanced metrics. On top of all of that, he won a regular season MVP, had 4 more top 5's, and 2 WS MVP's. You know those, the MOST VALUABLE PlAYER helped two franchises to a total of 5 WS titles in 6 attempts.
My argument is much larger than that but It would appear it has fallen on deaf ears. Reggie K'd 1 of every 4 at bat. We just vehemently disagree on who would have been the most valuable player on ANY team, not just the talent rich Yankees that usually has the best money can buy.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I saw Tyler Nesbitt has come back from injury

Did not know this (I wasn't aware someone can be a third year freshman):

"The third-year freshman hadn’t competed for the Gators in exactly 751 days after season-ending Tommy John surgery in late February of the 2021 season kept him out the entire year."

Good for him

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hopefully they addressed the mechanical issue that led to his injury.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Did not know this (I wasn't aware someone can be a third year freshman):

"The third-year freshman hadn’t competed for the Gators in exactly 751 days after season-ending Tommy John surgery in late February of the 2021 season kept him out the entire year."

Good for him
remember they all got an additional year due to2020 COVID cancellation. Worked to this young man's benefit

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator