Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Heard Halter was fine and was expected to play tonight, but maybe things changed. Need him for conference play. Thompson at 2B is as scary as Thompson in RF. Defense not his strength.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm in town to take my 4 year old to his first ever Gator game in any sport. He's devastated (as am I).
I’m here with my 11 year old boy. Although he’s been to the Swamp dozens of times, we’re bummed to miss his first baseball game. Especially excited it was the clowns.

We’ll probably hit Satchels for some pie.

Luckily all is not lost as we’re continuing on Suwannee for some music and camping this weekend. I could hang out another night and see the hoops, but this team is not inspiring enough.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators clinched the series vs Bama tonight 13 - 6. Going for the sweep tomorrow.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Not sure why we are pitching the same closer 3 days in a row. Might need to find a 3rd baseman as well. Too many errors at that position.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Sully had no business putting Purnell in for the 9th...Ficorotta cruised in the 8th getting 3 outs on 7 pitches but of course...Sully just has to Sully

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Sully had no business putting Purnell in for the 9th...Ficorotta cruised in the 8th getting 3 outs on 7 pitches but of course...Sully just has to Sully
The botched double play ball to 3rd was more of a factor than Purnell, Yet, I think Ficorrotta should have started the 8th instead of running Milchin back out and I concur Fic should have started the 9th too. Our worst played game of the season for me.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I want to thank you all who also questioned why Sully would bring in the guy who Bama had seen 2 nights in a row, whose pitching style is less effective the more often they pitch. I would have given Fic the 9th to begin as he got 2 quick outs in the 8th and was confident. Not saying that Sully cost them the game, but this is a process issue and I thought it was prudent to go back to the guy who had the MO from last inning. And Purnell could have been available for a batter possibly.

But spare me the he is our closer argument. We don;t have a closer It was Slater, then Fic and now Purnell? It is committee, which is fine. Secondly, you can say Purnell was the hot hand, but I say 2 games in a row, lots of times to have seen and faced him, plus he does not have that one unhittable pitch. Nothing against Purnell, he has been good and perhaps Fic would have self destructed, but to me it is the thoughts. But as many will say Sully knows his guys better than we do. That is debateable to me.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And, I say, Sully is not a good Dad 'cause he lets his 13 y.o. daughter drink in front of her kids. :cool:

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Spoils a great weekend of baseball
and some hot hitting. Shame we couldn’t get the sweep, thats the kind of win that decides the regular season champion at the end. Disappointing way to end for sure, but a nice series on the road to start the year.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@FireFoley as I said before, YOU should be our baseball coach, you are light years ahead of Sully in terms of teaching fundamentals and knowing the game of baseball. Without a doubt you would win 600 games like Sully has in no time and become our all time wins leader. Foley for Corch of UF Beisbol!

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
The botched double play ball to 3rd was more of a factor than Purnell, Yet, I think Ficorrotta should have started the 8th instead of running Milchin back out and I concur Fic should have started the 9th too. Our worst played game of the season for me.

I agree that it was probably our worst defensive game of the year...although the Fabian error was a tough in between hopper, still a play you have to make and at least get an out

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@FireFoley as I said before, YOU should be our baseball coach, you are light years ahead of Sully in terms of teaching fundamentals and knowing the game of baseball. Without a doubt you would win 600 games like Sully has in no time and become our all time wins leader. Foley for Corch of UF Beisbol!

Good morning Jboss, notwithstanding your witty sarcasm, @FireFoley has simply provided a competent analysis of the lack of baseball fundamentals in all aspects of UF baseball and I agree with much of his analysis. I am also a student of the game and having closely followed and watched Gator baseball for 3 decades I can tell you that there are good reasons to be critical of the coaching. One issue that stands out is that they strike out a lot and leave a lot of men on base. Some players concentrate more on launch angle than making contact. There is a lack of changing their plate approach with 2 strikes such as not making any attempt at protecting the plate or choking up on the bat just to name a few. Those are all coaching issues. Just my 2 cents based on watching, coaching and studying the game for 6 decades with no suggestion that I am qualified to coach the team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator