Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Quick takeaways from the first weekend in the SEC was that it was good to win the series (prior to traveling to Coon A$$ next weekend) and even had a chance in the game we lost not playing well. ATM is very good and the SEC is going to be brutal. Garrison is clearly our best catcher and was huge today throwing out 2 potential base stealers. He is not terrible at the plate and does make contact usually. So he needs to stay. Fisher was better and as good as Peterson looked early season I said I was reserving judgment until we played non high school teams. Though I know he has a good arm, he has not pitched well. But like McNeillie who also has a good arm and had not pitched well, McNeillie was good today so hope Peterson will follow. Cags was not so good today but he is not going anywhere but would keep him on Sundays still. It was a positive weekend for the most part but I still think the same worries are still there for the most part, sans we have a real catcher, at least defensively.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Quick takeaways from the first weekend in the SEC was that it was good to win the series (prior to traveling to Coon A$$ next weekend) and even had a chance in the game we lost not playing well. ATM is very good and the SEC is going to be brutal. Garrison is clearly our best catcher and was huge today throwing out 2 potential base stealers. He is not terrible at the plate and does make contact usually. So he needs to stay. Fisher was better and as good as Peterson looked early season I said I was reserving judgment until we played non high school teams. Though I know he has a good arm, he has not pitched well. But like McNeillie who also has a good arm and had not pitched well, McNeillie was good today so hope Peterson will follow. Cags was not so good today but he is not going anywhere but would keep him on Sundays still. It was a positive weekend for the most part but I still think the same worries are still there for the most part, sans we have a real catcher, at least defensively.
Thanks FF!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Always appreciate your baseball insights.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
On Neely not coming out in the 9th, it is a lingering bicep issue that has been plaguing him supposedly not serious but told Sully it flared up, so he went to McNeillie. Was not planned but Neely did throw 3 innings Friday and 2 today. so maybe them wanting to get more work will be put on the back burner for now.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
It was a beautiful day at the Park. Cags did not have the command on his change-up but gutted out 5+ and 100+ pitches. 7 K's. Grandson #2 was with me today and we were not sure why he ran Neely out in top of 7 after Slater had only worked less than an inning. It was good to see McNeelie do well to close it out. Still too many K's by the good guys and our lack of fundamentals around moving a runner to third with no outs is intolerable. Garrison with 4 thrown out runners this weekend and his skills behind the plate are impressive. Shelnut is our secret weapon, it seems. The two ball Cags bounced off the right field wall literally whistled off the bat. Good crowd fun game to watch.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
On Neely not coming out in the 9th, it is a lingering bicep issue that has been plaguing him supposedly not serious but told Sully it flared up, so he went to McNeillie. Was not planned but Neely did throw 3 innings Friday and 2 today. so maybe them wanting to get more work will be put on the back burner for now.
Appreciate your updates

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Slater getting the start tonight vs JU. I guess this explains why Sully only let him pitch one inning Sunday. Is this an audition to replace either Fisher or Peterson?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Slater getting the start tonight vs JU. I guess this explains why Sully only let him pitch one inning Sunday. Is this an audition to replace either Fisher or Peterson?
Hard to believe but occasionally the coach has a plan. That he doesn't share. Even with us.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I agree that Slater might be in line to replace Peterson as a weekend starter. No way Fisher comes out in my opinion. His stuff was good the other night outside of one inning and really 2 batters. I do not think this is why Slater only pitched a short stint on Sunday though. Sully is like Pavlov's dog and always has been. He always is what have you done lately. Neely gave him 3 innings on Friday and it worked. Sully was going back to the same recipe on Sunday. But when Neely's bicep acted up after the 8th, that is why McNeillie came in. Turned out to be fortunate, possibly going forward..

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I agree that Slater might be in line to replace Peterson as a weekend starter. No way Fisher comes out in my opinion. His stuff was good the other night outside of one inning and really 2 batters. I do not think this is why Slater only pitched a short stint on Sunday though. Sully is like Pavlov's dog and always has been. He always is what have you done lately. Neely gave him 3 innings on Friday and it worked. Sully was going back to the same recipe on Sunday. But when Neely's bicep acted up after the 8th, that is why McNeillie came in. Turned out to be fortunate, possibly going forward..
I agree, if he is replacing a weekend starter it should be Peterson. I would hate to have to move Slater as it would make an unreliable pen even more unreliable unless a few freshmen get it figured out.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not to disappoint Slater walks the leadoff hitter to begin the game, gives up a single, then walks the next guy to load the bases. Just like I did not get excited when Peterson looked good against high school teams, I will say that Slater is starting against an awful Jax team and looks like DogDyck

2-0 Jax after 1 inning

Last edited:

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
I'd like to see some stats on our first two innings pitched as compared to the rest of the game. Feels like we go down multiple runs nearly every game.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Not to disappoint Slater walks the leadoff hitter to begin the game, gives up a single, then walks the next guy to load the bases. Just like I did not get excited when Peterson looked good against high school teams, I will say that Slater is starting against an awful Jax team and looks like DogDyck

2-0 Jax after 1 inning
well the thinking Sully had a different plan is toast. We will continue to do the same shyt and expect a different result. Go Gators, Sully know everything. ask him.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
well the thinking Sully had a different plan is toast. We will continue to do the same shyt and expect a different result. Go Gators, Sully know everything. ask him.
Maybe tonight everyone in the bullpen with the exception of Neely is going to pitch just to see if any of them are reasonably competent. But how would you know b/c Jax is not good.. Jax starting pitcher tonight is sporting a tidy 10+ ERA.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Maybe tonight everyone in the bullpen with the exception of Neely is going to pitch just to see if any of them are reasonably competent. But how would you know b/c Jax is not good.. Jax starting pitcher tonight is sporting a tidy 10+ ERA.
except against us. Donay sucks, WHY is he getting a start?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Jameson Out, Satin in. 2 outs top of 3rd, Jax leads 3-0 Satin walks the firsy guy he faces on 4 pitches with a left on left matchup. Laughable. Satin out after 4 pitches, Smith in. You cannot compete over the entire season in the SEC with this type of bullpen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator