Recruiting 2024 Early Signing Day Thread

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Isn't there a rule about posting the same .gif in back to back posts?
You're gonna take a beating for that mistake!
Self Defense Fighting GIF

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Ox should create a separate room for the "elitist positive" fans and the "cry baby, loser, negative, no life, pathetic" fans. If you do Ox, put me in the 2nd group, so I can be in heaven
99%+ of the board is already in the second group. Damien stuck his head up earlier and was publicly stoned by the mob. Don’t think we’ll see any more after that display.

So consider yourself in heaven.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
Seaton and Mincey would be great additions. Lets see if we can pull it off.

Still want some transfer line of scrimmage kids tho

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
<< snip snip >> But stockpiling elite HS talent is the way to consistently being elite.

Old school thinking. The "HS" part specifically.

Consistently acquiring elite talent is the key to being consistently elite. (To be fair, coaching matters too.) In today's game, coaches need to be more agnostic as to where they find it, HS or portal. Even overseas.

HS talent, even elite, is rarely able to start on Day 1. (And if they do, it's generally because the team lacks talent or depth in that position.) So you have to expect & allow that talent to ripen, But on the positive side, while that is happening the players are also learning your team culture, your system, your disciplines, & bonding with team mates.

Whereas portal players arrive more physically mature, and presumably have improved the mental part of their game, on somebody else's dime and scholarship limits. Probably has film in college games. Coaches can evaluate them from film better than they can do the same with HS players. And they're ready to play, or closer to it. OTOH, they may be in the portal because they have a more mercenary, what's-in-it-for-me mentality. Or their game has topped out for some reason.

Both have pros & cons.

In today's portal/NIL world, players can unilaterally & unexpectedly decide to frolic in seemingly greener pastures. So strategically planning the team depth & succession chart is lot more difficult than it used to be. A team may have sudden needs.

A coach may not get MANY elite or game-changing players out from trasnfers, but if as a head coach you ignore that source of talent, you've seriously handicapped yourself against other head coaches who better master that aspect of today's game. QB is one position where elite talent may be available, because the #2 QB doesn't play much, no matter how good he is. And this predates the portal by many years. Troy Aikman is the first I remember.

TLDR? Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. Football is a zero-sum game, with a cast that changes every year.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Napier has a closing problem

When Napier jumped aboard, he sure looked like a closer. He sold athletic director Scott Stricklin on his candidacy to take over the Florida football program, so much so that Stricklin claimed he never even interviewed another coach for the job. He sold Stricklin on the need for significant funds to build an “army” of staffers around him so that the Gators had every chance to be successful on the field.

He sold renowned secondary coach Corey Raymond on leaving his longtime home of LSU and joining the UF staff. He sold talented Arizona State wide receiver Ricky Pesarsall on linking up through the transfer portal. And he not only sold four-star linebacker Shemar James on recommitting to Florida on National Signing Day, he also got four-star defensive backs Kamari Wilson and Devin Moore to jump on board making the Gators one of the big winners of the 2021 early signing period despite Napier only having three weeks to recruit after being hired.

There is no excusing the last month (coaching and recruiting) off the field, and it all was beget by those on-field struggles.

Florida sat for most of the season with the No. 3 class in the 247Sports Composite team rankings. The Gators had the best defensive line class in the nation (by far), two of the top six overall players committed — true program-changers on both sides of the ball — and seven top-100 players pledged to the program.

And then came Napier’s inability to close out games and the season as a whole. What followed were rejected calls for his firing with the idea being that the best reason to keep Napier around was to close the Class of 2024 in hopes of seeing significant progress in Year 3 and completely turning the tide in Year 4. (Not to mention his enormous buyout and the fact that Stricklin would need to lose his job long before Napier’s future should be decided.)

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
If you don't have 15 to 20 people reacting to your troll post, or 5 or 6 responding to your post, you ain't doing it right.

And that's ok, I know you're hurting right now, but it's a process ok, you have to enjoy the journey. You will learn and grow from this
It's a privilege to post here and RHV is on the verge of abusing that privilege.

Rhvgator

Mar 10, 2021
Pretty sure y'all are missing @Rhvgator 's sarcasm. He's pointing out the duality of our psyche as we demand the impossible from our coaches, players and facilities.

Or I'm wrong and he's flipped his schitt.

Listen, we are the experts. I even have to live with my bum knee I injured while playing football. Back in ‘93 I was playing football and the phone rang. Twisted my knee tripping over all the cords. These kids these days with their cordless controllers and WiFi would get eaten up by us old school ballers.

Rhvgator

Mar 10, 2021
I can also tell you, back in my early days of football, the refs weren’t as quick to call penalties as they are these days. If there was only one Mattel game but 2 or more siblings, players were allowed to get away with more physical beatings. Especially on long car trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator