Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Likely speculation because he didn’t show up this weekend. I’ve never heard of this staff giving up on a kid.

All that said, we seem to really want Mincey and Grimsley. If Mack pops this weekend, then we know atleast one of those two turned us down.

I really expect us to keep Mack on ice for a bit and see how the other two play out.
Wardell Mack? If so, he's at least highly rated by the services. Would be odd to pull a top Louisiana CB but miss on lower rated Florida guys. I realize rankings by services aren't the end all.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wardell Mack? If so, he's at least highly rated by the services. Would be odd to pull a top Louisiana CB but miss on lower rated Florida guys. I realize rankings by services aren't the end all.
Not odd. Our coaches have deeper relationships in that area at this point.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But there’s usually smoke. There hasn’t been any from our side.
The only smoke I’ve really seen is that Wiltfong CB’d him. But that was March of last year. I’m not saying we get him or OU doesn’t, but it’s been a quiet recruitment.

Won’t be surprised if it’s A&M at all. Really surprised Bama or Clemson isn’t in the mix, which actually supports OU here.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are some folks who think we lead over LSU on him. Apparently he canceled his trip to LSU to come here this weekend. Think he’s smaller than what Raymond likes in a DB tho

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s not a bust list but a “meh” list. (All of the guys I listed were 5*, started and underwhelmed relative to their hype coming in.)

Daniels was the USA Today national HS defensive player of the year and wound up an UDFA, zero NFL stats. He was supposed to be Derrick Brooks and wound up Reid Fleming.

Here’s the lead of an article about his career:
“Dexter Daniels is one of those former Gators that can be easily forgotten because of the time period in which he suited up for Florida.” Pure “meh.”

Setting aside that those were among the most exciting years UF has ever had, he’s the same class as Danny, do you recall a big signature play he made? Or just him melting off of Lawrence Phillips’ & Tommie Frazier’s backs? Someone put him on an All SEC list, but honestly when I think of linebackers at UF - even those in the 90’s - he never comes to mind. Meh.

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

I was a teenager and didn’t follow recruiting like today, so had no idea he was that highly rated. But my family had some contacts and we met him and had dinner with him several times during the 95 season, and still know him today. So I’m a little biased in my view. But I do think he was solid but not great, so your view actually makes sense in context.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If there’s two positions I give this staff the benefit of the doubt on it’s OLs & DBs.

Did they (or more likely Raymond) decide they liked Mack better than Howard and did he indicate he’s going to pop this weekend (on the weekend Howard was supposed to be on an OV) and we cancelled Howard’s trip? Or did Howard decide to cancel and now we’re all in on Mack? If you believe any of the ‘cruitin sites supposedly we are still after Jameer Grimsley despite his commitment to Bama.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I was a teenager and didn’t follow recruiting like today, so had no idea he was that highly rated. But my family had some contacts and we met him and had dinner with him several times during the 95 season, and still know him today. So I’m a little biased in my view. But I do think he was solid but not great, so your view actually makes sense in context.
Yes. Solid. A starter on championship teams. All SEC. The expectations are not his fault, except he did everything he was asked to do and excelled at a great HS program

Each of those guys did things I could only dream of doing. That’s very cool that you got to know him a bit. It was a snarky thing to say by a pinheaded fan.

But dammit this is GCMB!

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If there’s two positions I give this staff the benefit of the doubt on it’s OLs & DBs.

Did they (or more likely Raymond) decide they liked Mack better than Howard and did he indicate he’s going to pop this weekend (on the weekend Howard was supposed to be on an OV) and we cancelled Howard’s trip? Or did Howard decide to cancel and now we’re all in on Mack? If you believe any of the ‘cruitin sites supposedly we are still after Jameer Grimsley despite his commitment to Bama.
Supposedly Grimsley is 6’3 185 and has CB skills. So, Basically a physical specimen that has Raymond drooling

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes. Solid. A starter on championship teams. All SEC. The expectations are not his fault, except he did everything he was asked to do and excelled at a great HS program

Each of those guys did things I could only dream of doing. That’s very cool that you got to know him a bit. It was a snarky thing to say by a pinheaded fan.

But dammit this is GCMB!

Snarkinness, strong—almost belligerent—opinions, and sarcasm at the expense of others is frowned upon here. Always has been. I trust this will be an isolated venture into such dangerous waters for you.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Well, I don't know what to believe. I hope we have a good season and fill up with whomever the staff wants. Regardless of the misses to come, I believe this staff will keep recruiting the guys that announce elsewhere.

Hard to know what circumstances caused Howard to garner fsu's attention suddenly. Like the rest of us, I hope it's our staff knowing what they have in the fold.

Lucius

Jan 25, 2023
Wardell Mack seems to be underrated by many based on his height not being 6'1.5/6'2/6'3 like some of the other defensive backs in the class.

247 lists him as 5'11. On3 as 6'0.5 Rivals as 6'1

His median height around 6'0 would make him already taller than Joe Haden.

He is #115 Overall on the 247 composite and the #4 player in Louisiana. On3 rates him as #19 Overall and the #3 CB.

A finish to the 2024 DB class of Wardell Mack and Zavier Mincey would be nothing short of spectacular in my opinion.

Jameer Grimsley would be icing on the cake, but a flip from Alabama seems like quite the long shot.

The real question is which one of these guys do the staff see taking over the Nickel/Star spot. That position hasn't been stable/high-impact since Chauncey Gardner left.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Wardell Mack seems to be underrated by many based on his height not being 6'1.5/6'2/6'3 like some of the other defensive backs in the class.

He is #115 Overall on the 247 composite and the #4 player in Louisiana. On3 rates him as #19 Overall and the #3 CB.

A finish to the 2024 DB class of Wardell Mack and Zavier Mincey would be nothing short of spectacular in my opinion.

Jameer Grimsley would be icing on the cake, but a flip from Alabama seems like quite the long shot.
I was thinking about Joe Haden being so good but on the shorter side for Raymond's profile. But skill is skill. 6'0 seems tall enough.

If we did get Mack and Mincey, we are at 5DB. Grimsley seems to be a +1 then, if there is room. 6 DBs would be a huge class since we took 6 last cycle.

I don't like to think of a player being pushed out, but I guess that's possible.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

The real question is which one of these guys do the staff see taking over the Nickel/Star spot. That position hasn't been stable/high-impact since Chauncey Gardner left.
Problem is that there are no verified listings on Mack. For all we know, he’s 5’10. Not a horrible thing, but the Haden comparisons are crazy. Haden was an elite athlete and could make up for size.

Not saying Mack is a bad take at all. Just seems to be a back up. Remember when we didn’t have good plan b’s.

Also, Foster isn’t the 6’2 he’s rumored to be. 6’ 1/2” is what I’ve heard is verified, but he’s supposed to be explosive and plays long.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not saying Mack is a bad take at all. Just seems to be a back up. Remember when we didn’t have good plan b’s.
Back up meaning, once it's all sorted out in practice, he, to you, seems more likely second string? Naturally I hope all our committed guys are capable of high level SEC play, and that we aren't letting better CBs head to fsu.

How many DBs can we take this class? Just seems that if Mack and Mincey commit, we are full.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back up meaning, once it's all sorted out in practice, he, to you, seems more likely second string? Naturally I hope all our committed guys are capable of high level SEC play, and that we aren't letting better CBs head to fsu.

How many DBs can we take this class? Just seems that if Mack and Mincey commit, we are full.
Back up meaning he’s not a take.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to believe. Did we miss on someone better? Staff must like him and the services seem to.
Staff had Howard, Mincey, Grimsley and obviously Foster higher on their board. But go by the ratings if that’s how you think this works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator