Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
It won’t be calm even if we sign every single commit. The knives are out no matter what happens.
When you go 11-14 that happens. It's even worse because Billy is stubborn and still hadn't made many staff changes and his is still slow in the portal and the class has been hit hard.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We will get a couple of decent players and a QB that is a pretty big project, though I like his gunslinger ways. We've missed on almost every highly ranked DT and OL, should sound familiar bc that is the McElshark and Cousin Eddie plan just repeated again and again.

The problem is a couple of nice pieces that will develop into something in 2025 or 2026 arent going to help this guy out of his nosedive nearly fast enough. The 2022 class should have, and most of them left. Portal might help in 2024 and yet he's been completely oblivious to the fact it exists.

But we no doubt put the most effort into our PWO program of any P5 in the country.
DJ has some bad habits which come with physically gifted HS QBs.

He has a tendency to leave his feet when throwing the ball. Especially during roll outs.

He also throws across his body.

He also has a tendency to hold the ball like a loaf of bread.

He's got great passing stats and he's a definate threat to run. He seems to be really good with the long ball. He's perfect for BN assuming the QB coach can get rid of his bad habits.

BN better get some OLs developed PDQ.

No clue why PWOs seem to be an emphasis unless it's part of his "culture" thing. Sometimes walk ons have more "want" than blue chippers?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We all constantly check the board, minute by minute hoping for some semblance of positive news.
What we get is, either silence or bad news.

Look, The second year of every head coach that's Championship caliber, is the big leap in player development, play calling and efficiency on both sides of the ball.
Usually, the wins follow when the players are in the system for a couple years, and have been developed, COACHED, to play within the Head coach's system.

We know what we have and this will be the third season under Napier.

We could be getting the number 1 class in the country and bringing in every portal player from Ga and I'm certain, we would be no better than 7-5 next year.

If a guy can coach, there is evidence.
If a guy can't coach, there is evidence.

We have two seasons full of evidence.
I can only shake my head in disgust, while following these threads.

It's frustrating as hell to sit here and watch this ****show unfold. Knowing damn well, it will take a monumental big name splash hire, just to get us back to 6-6.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some interesting things regarding Grimsley. I didn’t know how connected he was to UF until this article.

Gut Feelings: Thoughts on Florida Gators recruiting

From the article:

dad is a die-hard Florida fan and his grand-dad attended Florida. His cousin is former Gators receiver and Olympic sprinter John Capel. Jameer grew up a Florida fan because of those ties. So he wanted to hear them out.

I think this bodes pretty well for us.

Supposedly, we made up a lot of ground with Mincey and Grimsley over the last week. I just don’t think Corey Raymond has been all in for the last two years. He has hated NIL and hasn’t wanted much to do with the college game anymore. Similar to the way Mullen was in his last two years.

Will Harris has made a great impression on these kids.

If we can somehow hang onto Filsaime, close on Gregory Smith and Mincey, and flip Grimsley, it would be probably one of the most elite DB class we’ve ever had. There’s a lot of insiders in the program who think Smith has the highest upside of all of our safety targets.

There is a small probability that Grimsley flips.

There is a high probability that Filsaime flips. The staff tried really hard to get him to not visit Texas, but they couldn’t stop him from doing it.

Mincey is between us and Miami with Alabama lurking. Nobody really knows what he’s going to do. He will actually make his decision this week, but not announce it until the high school all American games.

I still can’t believe Amaris Williams has not decommitted. It seems the only reason he has not is 2 fold.

1. His relationships with the staff.
2. His mother prefers Florida.

But last night he did tweet out “war damn eagle” and they have offered a pretty substantial NIL package. He is trending very heavily with Auburn.

I think we have a high chance to flip RB recruit Jaden Baugh.

It’s weird that’s it’s the final week and our class could end up anywhere from 3-12 depending on flips both ways.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BN better get some OLs developed PDQ.

No clue why PWOs seem to be an emphasis unless it's part of his "culture" thing. Sometimes walk ons have more "want" than blue chippers?
Brother, as a guy who usually looks on the bright side, I appreciate your optimism. However, the reality of Billy’s first two seasons has been a very sobering slap in the face. The organization, methodical processes, coaching, and player / roster development have been an absolute cluster f**k thus far. There may exist a glimmer of hope regarding this year‘s HS school class incoming, but the silence regarding portal acquisitions is alarming to say the least.

I personally don’t understand the plan where the recruitment and addition of the PWO OL’s at this point in the recruiting / portal cycle makes good sense…or any sense. First, our OL has been a big weak point, particularly in pass pro and is in need of immediate talent to become a more efficient unit (depending on arguably better coaching being provided). Second, OL is typically a position that takes a longer time for freshmen to grow and develop into functional and effective players at the collegiate level. Time was you could reasonably expect the FNG’s to be ready to compete for starting roles or provide capable subs by their junior season, maybe sophomore in some cases. Reggie Green and Jason Odom were very much outliers as contributing freshmen. With the advent of the summer camping and co-practicing that takes place, along with the advances in strength and agility training programs at the HS levels, the better HS linemen can now be reasonably expected to produce earlier. But the PWO’s…all are certainly solid kids with POTENTIAL, but they must still be considered PROJECTS at the SEC level. Otherwise, there’d be scholarship offers. They’ll possibly help bolster the OL roster, but other than bodies for practice immediately and a couple of gems that emerge in a few years, they aren’t going to represent what we need to move the furniture or protect the QB once the season kicks off.

If Billy is the chess master some of the spin doctors would have us believe, the current recruiting and portal concerns give the appearance that he’s lost all the back row pieces and is trying to protect his King with a few remaining pawns. The outcome doesn’t look good at this point.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Brother, as a guy who usually looks on the bright side, I appreciate your optimism. However, the reality of Billy’s first two seasons has been a very sobering slap in the face. The organization, methodical processes, coaching, and player / roster development have been an absolute cluster f**k thus far. There may exist a glimmer of hope regarding this year‘s HS school class incoming, but the silence regarding portal acquisitions is alarming to say the least.

I personally don’t understand the plan where the recruitment and addition of the PWO OL’s at this point in the recruiting / portal cycle makes good sense…or any sense. First, our OL has been a big weak point, particularly in pass pro and is in need of immediate talent to become a more efficient unit (depending on arguably better coaching being provided). Second, OL is typically a position that takes a longer time for freshmen to grow and develop into functional and effective players at the collegiate level. Time was you could reasonably expect the FNG’s to be ready to compete for starting roles or provide capable subs by their junior season, maybe sophomore in some cases. Reggie Green and Jason Odom were very much outliers as contributing freshmen. With the advent of the summer camping and co-practicing that takes place, along with the advances in strength and agility training programs at the HS levels, the better HS linemen can now be reasonably expected to produce earlier. But the PWO’s…all are certainly solid kids with POTENTIAL, but they must still be considered PROJECTS at the SEC level. Otherwise, there’d be scholarship offers. They’ll possibly help bolster the OL roster, but other than bodies for practice immediately and a couple of gems that emerge in a few years, they aren’t going to represent what we need to move the furniture or protect the QB once the season kicks off.

If Billy is the chess master some of the spin doctors would have us believe, the current recruiting and portal concerns give the appearance that he’s lost all the back row pieces and is trying to protect his King with a few remaining pawns. The outcome doesn’t look good at this point.
I'm just grasping at straws trying to rationalize, (in my mind) from the outside looking in, why BN is doing what he's doing.

Your last paragraph, and last sentance, sums it up.

Sjsu Theres A Chance GIF by San Jose State Spartans

:lol:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Napier has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, it doesn’t really matter how good his signing class appears to be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There’s a lot of insiders in the program who think Smith has the highest upside of all of our safety targets.

I still can’t believe Amaris Williams has not decommitted. It seems the only reason he has not is 2 fold.

1. His relationships with the staff.
2. His mother prefers Florida.
I don't dislike Smith. It's always hard to project a guy that's a quarterback moving to DB though. Quarterbacks are often the most athletic kid on the team and one of the smarter kids.

All I can say about Amaris is let's hope he listens to mama. But honestly we're fairly deep at defensive end. It's going to really hurt our class rating but it's not really going to hurt the class that much if that makes sense. Not landing a handful of (or any) elite offensive lineman hurt much much more.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Billy knows he is in way over his head. He doesn't have a plan going forward IMO. His plan is to hang on for dear life until the end and hope his friend Stricklin will cover for him.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

TBH, I see it as they lost control, his OL coaches cannot recruit, and they are reaching. They just dont understand SEC level talent needed nor how to develop it. They are delusional, think they can pull rabbits and turn mediocre OL into high level players and PWOs will look up to mediocre coaches if they get to play at UF, which they never thought possible. We cannot spin this as, the coaches know what they are doing. FFS, they reoffered a guy they let transfer when they were new and full of themselves. Unprecedented.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Billy knows he is in way over his head. He doesn't have a plan going forward IMO. His plan is to hang on for dear life until the end and hope his friend Stricklin will cover for him.
And still no sign of an OC I take it. Useless support staff aside, the people hired to support recruiting must be shaking their heads like, what did we get ourselves into and certainly, by now, see Simple for what he is.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Look, I complained at the time that the #7 was fake and it was really like #15 because he lost 5 from that class immediately.

But there is no damn reason to believe even if we retained Slingblade that the same wouldnt happen to him. He has already lost TWELVE from his 2022 class. TWELVE. Worse than Cousin Eddie.
The conundrum is, did they misevaluate or did potentially great players leave because it is too eery to play for a staff that is flailing? Either way, its a loser. They wanted to develop a future but got a staff that embarrasses them in games. It more likely shows these players just cannot stand the staff. And most probably had better offers in retrospect.

I think a certain DB would be crazy to flip from the SECC and playoff team for this staff.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
TBH, I see it as they lost control, his OL coaches cannot recruit, and they are reaching. They just dont understand SEC level talent needed nor how to develop it. They are delusional, think they can pull rabbits and turn mediocre OL into high level players and PWOs will look up to mediocre coaches if they get to play at UF, which they never thought possible. We cannot spin this as, the coaches know what they are doing. FFS, they reoffered a guy they let transfer when they were new and full of themselves. Unprecedented.
The next person to take over cannot be some arrogant softy who wants to bring his underachieving buddies with him everywhere he goes and leave them in place when they fail…

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The next person to take over cannot be some arrogant softy who wants to bring his underachieving buddies with him everywhere he goes and leave them in place when they fail…

Hire a real athletics director and you’ll get the kind of coach you want.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think it gets over complicated here. His plan simply isn’t executable at this level of football. A kid like ETN for instance isn’t going to sacrifice his own career to be a part of something that never bears fruit in his time here. Most 4-5* kids aren’t going to lose for 4 years and then take solace in the fact that they were a building block that won something later. It was unrealistic with Jones at ut when he was talking about a 4-5 year plan. If the portal had existed then, his tenure would’ve looked exactly the same. Napier obviously felt he could move slowly and while the fans wouldn’t be pleased, he’d keep his team together. That didn’t happen. I don’t think we have elite recruiters on staff, but they were doing fine up until the season went south. You can’t have this in year 2, and anyone with a brain knew that.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
And still no sign of an OC I take it. Useless support staff aside, the people hired to support recruiting must be shaking their heads like, what did we get ourselves into and certainly, by now, see Simple for what he is.
He isn't going to relinquish play calling duties................................................

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He hasn't helped himself.

I still want to think it's because he's overwhelmed rather than just Muschamp arrogant.

I'm also the guy that believes, down 3 scores with two mins left, we can still win it.

BN can still turn things around.

He has to close this class. We sit at 20, with several probably defecting, so he HAS to hit humerus from the portal at positions of need.

He also has to to a great developer for the DL and OLs. And a recruiter for each.

He also needs an OC. He needs to stay away from gameday calls. Even if he fixes the Jimmies and Joe's, and gets great coaches that can develop and recruit, he'll cost us 2-3 games because of his idiot game day calls and the inability to adjust.

All of this is STILL within his ability to change.

He's down 3 scores with 2 minutes left. (imo).

He's got the ball. ESD is the first scoring opportunity.

Second is the portal.

Score there, and staff changes are the final scoring opportunity.

Still need a 2 point conversion to win it: HIRE A FUCHING ST COORDINATOR YOU FUCHING IDIOT.
If we just sign more good players, keep more good ones from leaving, hire better position coaches, develop kids better, get an ST coach, an OC, improve the S&C program, and fix in game management we might possibly have something!!!

Bill Murray Film GIF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.