Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I just saw on the interwebs that we wrestled a DE from Cincinnati, and that he weighs all of 240 lbs.

Next year gonna be lit!!!

:facepalm:
Awesome Thats Lit GIF by Samsung Austria

I’m flashing back to the days of Fat Todd….

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In truth, the grades reflect cumulative averages. Knowing the the actual number of snaps for each “block” would allow some context. Knowing the grading criteria would also help. Is it a “Plus” or “Minus” for each snap? Do you get partial credit for, say, good footwork even though you weren’t able to lock up your guy or got called for holding? :dunno: We always used Plus/Minus and a bunch of the college guys at clinics and breakout groups used similar grading, but I don’t know how much the increased analytics might have added more criteria to be considered, having been out of the coaching and clinics for several years.

One funny story about grades and how they can be manipulated…we had a secondary guy who fancied himself a hard @ss when grading his DBs and we lost a tough defensive struggle in our first game 7-3 (missed two FGs that would have won it). On Sunday when we met, we all had to give a synopsis of our group and their grades. Most of us were tough but fair, acknowledging a need for improvement. Mr. DB Hard@ss graded all but one of his starters as “F” (below 70%) in a ham-handed attempt to one up the rest of us and maybe somehow curry favor with the HC. No bueno. The HC’s comment was “You mean to tell me that we were playing with three failures in the secondary at any given time during the game? Hell, that means we were essentially playing the game with one DB! That shti ain’t gonna cut it!” We rode his @ss for the next week like Gus and Woodrow did Jake Spoon. His DBs never graded “F” again and we were spared further virtue signaling (even though that wasn’t a thing back then :lol:).

Another angle on the grading system pertains to it’s value versus actual results.
In high school I played with a guy that was a tremendous athlete and a tremendous idiot. He almost always blew his assignment but his athleticism enabled him to become the leading tackler on the defense. He would grade out around 40% each week with 9-10 tackles.

His assignment grades were so important that he started every game for two full seasons.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another angle on the grading system pertains to it’s value versus actual results.
In high school I played with a guy that was a tremendous athlete and a tremendous idiot. He almost always blew his assignment but his athleticism enabled him to become the leading tackler on the defense. He would grade out around 40% each week with 9-10 tackles.

His assignment grades were so important that he started every game for two full seasons.
Have seen that before. Another factor that can render grades virtually a moot point is the quality of depth. If the five regulars we saw this season were our best and they got the majority of the snaps, you can’t help but wonder just how bad the reserves were. Then you ask is that a coaching issue, an evaluation / recruiting issue, a talent / ability issue, or all of the above or a combination? Clearly there are a lot of holes in that position group and I don’t think we are addressing them in a way that has the greatest chances of showing the marked improvement necessary as we get ready to face what many think is the toughest schedule in CFB. Maybe we make a few more upgrade additions before all is said and done? Better hope so!

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Article says we had a successful OL in 2022. Not sure what metric they are using.
I actually think the 2022 line should have been one of the best offensive lines we've had outside of 2018 in many years personnel wise...just goes to show you how bad the coaching is/was

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I actually think the 2022 line should have been one of the best offensive lines we've had outside of 2018 in many years personnel wise...just goes to show you how bad the coaching is/was
Drawing a conclusion from a snapshot, but what GOOD OL coach is photo'd recruiting a PWO two days before NSD when we did not have anything close to a top OL class locked in?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
^^^^^^
How low was our NIL or how good is Tarquin? I guess Oklahoma thinks he's worth that.
I'm not interested in an OT who has failed with two teams and is on his third. No thank you! Whoever gave him that NIL value is high is can be. Who is paying a guy that to be a backup which is all he is.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Isn't that NIL value some publications estimate? And that might not mean he got that amount or maybe more. Just like any other piece of property it is worth what someone is willing to pay, not what others think it is worth.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't that NIL value some publications estimate? And that might not mean he got that amount or maybe more. Just like any other piece of property it is worth what someone is willing to pay, not what others think it is worth.
Exactly and a lot of these estimates are 4 year estimates, nothing guaranteed, including if you don't play up to blue chip potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator