7 Reasons to be positive about UF football in 2017

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think Franks is the most talented of the bunch. If any of the others beat him out, so be it. No one has awarded Franks the job yet, but IMHO he has the best chance of being the real deal.

Fair enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ITo me the biggest question is who will win the QB battle, Allen, Del Rio, Franks or Trask and how good will they be.
They are all going to be terrible. Franks most likely out of that bunch but with his bad habits, I just dont see it. More likely imo is an AA type backup.

I suspect if anyone surprises us it is Toney. Also lotsa smoke about Butters hoping Trailerbammer will help him learn how to use an athletic QB. Weird that we are in position of just hoping they can help us out of pity or not wanting to see their favorite son fired.

You determine if you want to be optimistic about this. Saban fired Nusschamp bc he couldnt get him to open up the offense. Think Butters will have more luck?

Zook undermined what Spurrier built when he started giving the QB position away rather than making someone earn it.
WTF are you talking about? I passed by this a few days but it still seems ridiculous. Its so crazy I was sure I was missing something or that youd correct a typo.

Are you suggesting Zook shouldnt have played Rexy or Chris Leak? You are bordering on nonsense here. Thise are two of the most talented and most effective QBs weve ever had. Both were limited by piss poor coaching but is there really any doubt they were 1000 times better than Ingle Martin? Thats some looney tunes shyt there.

Last edited:

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
They are all going to be terrible. Franks most likely out of that bunch but with his bad habits, I just dont see it. More likely imo is an AA type backup.

I suspect if anyone surprises us it is Toney. Also lotsa smoke about Butters hoping Trailerbammer will help him learn how to use an athletic QB. Weird that we are in position of just hoping they can help us out of pity or not wanting to see their favorite son fired.

You determine if you want to be optimistic about this. Saban fired Nusschamp bc he couldnt get him to open up the offense. Think Butters will have more luck?

WTF are you talking about? I passed by this a few days but it still seems ridiculous. Its so crazy I was sure I was missing something or that youd correct a typo.

Are you suggesting Zook shouldnt have played Rexy or Chris Leak? You are bordering on nonsense here. Thise are two of the most talented and most effective QBs weve ever had. Both were limited by piss poor coaching but is there really any doubt they were 1000 times better than Ingle Martin? Thats some looney tunes shyt there.
Rex is the one of the best QBs we've ever had (after SOS, Danny, Tim, and maybe Shane). I might put him ahead of Shane and maybe Tim, too. I don't see Leak at the same level, but he won a NC, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rex is the one of the best QBs we've ever had (after SOS, Danny, Tim, and maybe Shane). I might put him ahead of Shane and maybe Tim, too. I don't see Leak at the same level, but he won a NC, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
I had forgotten about this again.

So, are you saying Zook should have played Ingle Martin over Grossman and Leak and that they somehow were given the job?

What am I missing, man?

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
My one and only reason to be positive about Gator football:

When the :kiffin:show continues, at least I can turn to this board. The sarcasm here often heals my wounds. As they say, laughter is the best medicine. And I do literally LOL practically daily reading this board. So for that, fellow Gators, I say thank you.:clap:

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
I had forgotten about this again.

So, are you saying Zook should have played Ingle Martin over Grossman and Leak and that they somehow were given the job?

What am I missing, man?
You may have replied to the wrong post. I was just saying Rex was one of the best ever and I don't see Leak that way. Leak was definitely a good QB. The only time I remember thinking a coach clearly favored the wrong guy (for whatever reason) was giving the job to Jeff Driskell over Jacoby Brissett.

Maybe back in '88 or '89 I wanted Donald Douglas over Kyle Morris, but neither was good.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You may have replied to the wrong post.

No he was talking about my post on Zook. It was in the newspapers at the time before the fact and the Zook recruiting promise is just what took place in exactly the number of games. Some people choose to put their heads in the sand about that. It is in the past and there is no reason to rehash it now. No one will change their view on the matter.

What matters is that UF's QB position has not be based on merit in years. McElwain needs to change that in my view.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Posts in the 36 - 40 range.

I would never ever bet against the Gators. What psycho non-fan would take you up on that bet? Not only are you a pumper but you're a whack job on top of it all. LDR could get 5 years more experience and he'll still be LDR, a career back up. If he sees the field next year we are in deep deep trouble. I heard the same thing this year...with another year's experience the offense is going to be much better. Uhhh, it did not happen.

I guess if you keep saying it will get better next year every year...your blind squirrel ass will find a nut once in a while.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You may have replied to the wrong post. I was just saying Rex was one of the best ever and I don't see Leak that way. Leak was definitely a good QB.
I got your good QB right here GA
1 Chris Leak 11,213 2003 2004 2005 2006
2 Danny Wuerffel 10,875 1993 1994 1995 1996
3 Shane Matthews 9,287 1989 1990 1991 1992
4 Tim Tebow 9,285 2006 2007 2008 2009
5 Rex Grossman 9,164 2000 2001 2002
this ranked all time career passing ydg for gator QB, Leak didnt play for SOS and had three diff OCs

1 Danny Wuerffel 114 1993 1994 1995 1996
2 Chris Leak 88 2003 2004 2005 2006
Tim Tebow 88 2006 2007 2008 2009
4 Rex Grossman 77 2000 2001 2002
5 Shane Matthews 74 1989 1990 1991 199'

all time TD passing leaders

1 Tim Tebow 12,232 2006 2007 20082009
2 Chris Leak 11,350 2003 2004 20052006
3 Danny Wuerffel 10,500 1993 1994 19951996
4 Shane Matthews 9,241 1989 1990 19911992
5 Rex Grossman 9,031 2000 2001 2002
total offense for a career

And last of all three gator QBs played in national title games and won it. HE was one of them. And he was the MVP of the game. The boy was unfairly criticized a lot and is the most under rated QB in hour history.

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
I got your good QB right here GA

And last of all three gator QBs played in national title games and won it. HE was one of them. And he was the MVP of the game. The boy was unfairly criticized a lot and is the most under rated QB in hour history.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I agree Leak was "unfairly criticized a lot and is the most under rated QB in hour history". Maybe I just like those other guys and remember them better. What's stuck in my head is how Leak would scramble on 3d down and then either slide or run out of bounds a yard or two short of the marker. He did it in important games on key drives. There's no way Danny, Shane, Rex, or (obviously) Tim wouldn't have done whatever it took on an important 3d down. Also no way Leak wins a NC that year without Tim sharing the load.

I was there watching Shane getting bludgeoned the whole game against FSU in 1991. He and Casey Weldon got crushed in that game, Shane was puking on the field, but he kept fighting until we won. Same with Danny up in Tallahassee in November 1996. Bowden said that "echo of the whistle" crap, but those Noles hit Danny with cheap shots the entire game. There was no quit in that kid.

Again, I was discounting Leak more than I should have. No doubt. My bad. I just don't see him the same way I see those other guys.

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
I would never ever bet against the Gators. What psycho non-fan would take you up on that bet? Not only are you a pumper but you're a whack job on top of it all. LDR could get 5 years more experience and he'll still be LDR, a career back up. If he sees the field next year we are in deep deep trouble. I heard the same thing this year...with another year's experience the offense is going to be much better. Uhhh, it did not happen.

I guess if you keep saying it will get better next year every year...your blind squirrel ass will find a nut once in a while.
Aw, man! Here I was hoping to win your approval so we could be pals. I'm disappointed.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. Crown Royal
2. Jim Beam
3. Jack Daniels
4. Evan Williams
5. Maker's Mark
6. Old Granddad
7. Wild Turkey

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Breaking news................In their first two years these coaches lead in regular season SEC wins at UF.
SOS 14-2
Mac 13-3
Hall Meyer Zook Graves 12-4
Mac has fewer SEC losses than any coach these last two years than only one, (sounds like Satan)
But the future looks bleak, I gotta wear dollar general sh$t stained glasse...............

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking news................In their first two years these coaches lead in regular season SEC wins at UF.
SOS 14-2
Mac 13-3
Hall Meyer Zook Graves 12-4
Mac has fewer SEC losses than any coach these last two years than only one, (sounds like Satan)
But the future looks bleak, I gotta wear dollar general sh$t stained glasse...............

Your math is all jacked up lol.

SOS went 13-1 in his first two SEC seasons. He also beat SIX ranked teams. SIX! I was going to figure the winning % of the teams SOS beat vs MAC but I figured you got spanked enough for now.

Do us all a favor and stop comparing that joker to SOS or any other legend. It's not fair to the Grand Aw Shucks Poo-Bah.

Mac's future here is bleak. You toss em up and I'll knock the crap out of em.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Damn that Dooley...........if it is wrong.............It did say regular season SEC wins.............(in the Sun today)
but I knew you or :law: would soon descend to :kiffin::kiffin::kiffin: in this "postive" thread on gator football. I mean, :kiffin:, there are only umpteen negative ones for you to fertilize with it...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator