A&M preparing to make a run at James Franklin

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not that Franklin is leaving, but if you're arguing who has more money you're losing this argument. Texas A&M is one of the top 10 richest programs in the country (along w/ the Ivy League schools). Their endowment is ridiculous. They have this thing in Texas called "oil money"....and A&M has a lot of it. They can pay as much...or more than any program in the country.

Also, go look up Joe Pa's salary. He was one of the lowest paid coaches in the country when coaching salaries starting running up (he never asked for much money, so PSU didn't offer to up it to keep up w/ the Jones'). Now their paying the going rate at a school like Penn State. But A&M will and can pay the type of money Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan are paying. Money is not an object.

In my single days, I was in Vegas for a week during Spring Break, and every A&M girl I met was an oil and gas engineer grad or geologist. It was impressive the careers they had waiting for them. So yeah, they pump out some big time money and have for years. So money truly is no issue for those guys, which is why I think they're comfortable being so harsh on Sumlin. They have enough money to not care about public perception.

According to sports radio earlier, Franklin has already tweeted a semi response, basically attributing the rumor to recruiting rivals and indicating he's committed to Psu. But they also stated that apparently even with his contact extension signed after last year, somehow if he leaves after this season, his buyout is only 2 mil? Not sure of the validity, but that seems absurd. Got me thinking, why aren't we making a run at him?

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if Franklin will stay or go to A&M or get get picked up by another school. What I do know is that if Foley hired him after 2013, then we'd be undefeated and probably in the top 5 right now.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I've got a good friend out here who's an aTm grad and very connected. Everything he's told me is they are preparing their run for Grass Eater.
That would be awesome. College football needs characters like Miles for the entertainment value.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine if we had made a run after Franklin after the 2013 season. After a 4-8 season, Foley made the decision to keep Chump rather than grab the hot coach, at the time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Franklin is a very good to great coach, but just think of the bath the Florida administration would have taken after all the reports of what happened under Meyer and the current at the time Hernandez investigation and trail we picked up Franklin. Then the allegations which turned into trail about what transpired at Vanderbilt had come out. These things don't happen in a vacuum. The administration was going to pick up a coach who had that black cloud hanging over it's head, while the Hernandez stuff was going on and all the referenced to UF being thrown around. People forget that about 2013.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In my single days, I was in Vegas for a week during Spring Break, and every A&M girl I met was an oil and gas engineer grad or geologist. It was impressive the careers they had waiting for them. So yeah, they pump out some big time money and have for years. So money truly is no issue for those guys, which is why I think they're comfortable being so harsh on Sumlin. They have enough money to not care about public perception.

According to sports radio earlier, Franklin has already tweeted a semi response, basically attributing the rumor to recruiting rivals and indicating he's committed to Psu. But they also stated that apparently even with his contact extension signed after last year, somehow if he leaves after this season, his buyout is only 2 mil? Not sure of the validity, but that seems absurd. Got me thinking, why aren't we making a run at him?
Because we have butters? :doh:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Because we have butters? :doh:

giphy.gif

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

We don't want to be part of him getting a raise not to come here, that is probably why. And the Bull Gators are not fed up enough to cover our buyouts either.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mean they are reported to have more money. They also are paying for an entirely new stadium.

Time will tell if they even bother, after all the original link was from Penn State, not TAM.

So you don't think a public institution like Penn State reports their earnings? You don't think that this list is accurate? What data are you going off of?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So you don't think a public institution like Penn State reports their earnings? You don't think that this list is accurate? What data are you going off of?

They probably don't report all their earnings, and as I said it is just a report, somehow a person who knows something about accounting knows that they are not totally understandable.

No data just opinion, and it really does not matter, you missed paying for a totally new stadium???

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Uh Penn State is a much better job than Texas A&M, Aggie fans are so stupid and delusional.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just my theory, but I don't think we get Franklin and most likely don't even pursue him. I don't think, as others have pointed out, that the timing is right despite how tired I am with what I've seen from this staff. Mac gets another year unless something happens that is currently unforeseen or undocumented.

I'll further speculate that I don't believe we make that big splash hire that many want, believe we deserve or are entitled to, and that it should happen because you can throw a large sum of money at the candidate and he will automatically take it. I believe this because the best of the best HBC's this day and time are already making a ton of money where they are, they are already successful and have their infrastructure either in place or in the works. With these come comfort and security, but maybe more importantly...confidence, even greater than what they might ordinarily possess. If we were hell bent on hiring Saban (just for the sake of argument), who reportedly makes in the neighborhood of 7 mil per year, do you really think offering him 10 is going to make that much difference? That bump isn't going to be worth coming to Gainesville and basically rebuilding the coaching staff and likely some of the support staff as well. Recruiting has to be a giant focus that takes not only a lot of time, but energy as well. He has to be prepared for a pretty extensive booster tour. Facilities upgrades have started (one kudo I'll give to Mac), but they'll need his push. That's a lot to do, and I'm probably leaving some other details out, after leaving a storied program that has been built in his likeness, apologies to the Bear notwithstanding. On a lesser level, I see a guy like Mike Gundy, were he to be a target, having the same feelings about uprooting. I also have to smile when I hear about Bob Stoops, who I admire, being lured out of retirement for one more big payday. Just can't realistically see it happening.

I really believe our best bet will be to better find the next up-and-comer. That will take as much research for the right candidate as it will selling to the faithful. An arduous task, to be sure, but one I believe that can be well done with the right factors, such as salary and compensation, program resources (staff hires, booster backing, etc.), and fit in terms of good management, X's and O's, and better recruiting, being attended to. We'll have to wait and se how it goes.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just my theory, but I don't think we get Franklin and most likely don't even pursue him. I don't think, as others have pointed out, that the timing is right despite how tired I am with what I've seen from this staff. Mac gets another year unless something happens that is currently unforeseen or undocumented.

I'll further speculate that I don't believe we make that big splash hire that many want, believe we deserve or are entitled to, and that it should happen because you can throw a large sum of money at the candidate and he will automatically take it. I believe this because the best of the best HBC's this day and time are already making a ton of money where they are, they are already successful and have their infrastructure either in place or in the works. With these come comfort and security, but maybe more importantly...confidence, even greater than what they might ordinarily possess. If we were hell bent on hiring Saban (just for the sake of argument), who reportedly makes in the neighborhood of 7 mil per year, do you really think offering him 10 is going to make that much difference? That bump isn't going to be worth coming to Gainesville and basically rebuilding the coaching staff and likely some of the support staff as well. Recruiting has to be a giant focus that takes not only a lot of time, but energy as well. He has to be prepared for a pretty extensive booster tour. Facilities upgrades have started (one kudo I'll give to Mac), but they'll need his push. That's a lot to do, and I'm probably leaving some other details out, after leaving a storied program that has been built in his likeness, apologies to the Bear notwithstanding. On a lesser level, I see a guy like Mike Gundy, were he to be a target, having the same feelings about uprooting. I also have to smile when I hear about Bob Stoops, who I admire, being lured out of retirement for one more big payday. Just can't realistically see it happening.

I really believe our best bet will be to better find the next up-and-comer. That will take as much research for the right candidate as it will selling to the faithful. An arduous task, to be sure, but one I believe that can be well done with the right factors, such as salary and compensation, program resources (staff hires, booster backing, etc.), and fit in terms of good management, X's and O's, and better recruiting, being attended to. We'll have to wait and se how it goes.

I agree with all of this. Thinking that throwing money around at coaches guarantees success is foolish. And nothing in our past has shown that we will go after established coaches by throwing a lot of money at them, and in fact, that happens very rarely in all the big schools. There's a reason for that. Seeing some of the names bandied about tells me that a lot of people aren't living in the real world or understand the dynamics very well. Coaches, like most people, make decisions based on myriad factors including family, comfort and security.

History has shown us that the vast majority of times finding the right coach is an educated crap shoot with no guarantees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator