AJC: New details emerge regarding McElwain’s struggles with running the Florida program

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
That is certainly the question. Part of me thinks Stricklin and whoever else at the top paid Butters a buyout instead of going through with a lawsuit because they didn't want their own incompetence in this matter exposed. After all, wasn't ANYONE overseeing the coaching staff? How the hell did these idiots get extensions? They wanted it to go away as quickly as possible.

There's absolutely no question that UF could have gotten away with firing Mac for cause and paying him NOTHING - he failed to do his contractual duties, period.

As for the UF media, they proved they are lapdogs. They obviously feel they have no choice, but it's pretty sickening anyway.

I agree that Foley should share the responsibility here. No one from the AD on down to Mac was in charge of managing the details. My personal experience is that in order to manage and lead a successful business you must know when to "sweat the details". It is obvious that this didn't happen during Mac's tenure. It does not sound like Montgomery was in play when Grier screwed up. However with a tightly controlled and effective in house conditioning and strength program his "banned substance" issue may have been avoided. Also maybe with more attention to detail and control the credit card fiasco may not have happened. Now we move forward .

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I’m going to be shocked if Mike Kent ever gets a job again.

I will be even more shocked if Butters and Dumpsterfire head any program or offense in the near future. Bet Mac ends up on a support staff and Dump will coach positions if he’s lucky

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why, YES Madam wannabe president! It DOES friggin matter! And Mac getting paid millions of dollars to apparently NOT do his job matters too! Both are responsible for deaths in their own rights... just one is more important than the other.... in case anyone is wondering, I’m talking about the death Americans who were sent... then abandoned and left to die... all in the name of politics. After all, there was an election to win...

Edit: sorry... that’s my one political rant for the year. You rarely, if ever, see me say anything political here.
Just a joke buddy

TN G8R

Aug 24, 2016
At first, I thought his personality was funny. It seemed like nothing bothered him and he could take the pressure. He always seemed to have a unique perspective. After watching every halftime interview, post game interview, press conference, etc. I began to understand that this guy was in WAY over his head. The man was clueless when the camera was on him and couldn't figure out what to say other than the same old recycled banter. It was becoming rather embarrassing. When the pressure was on, he was lost. Reminded me of the coach in Waterboy. Recently, someone posted a video of one of his post game interviews when he was at CSU and it was the same crap he said here. "Kids played their tails off, and yet, that other team took it to us, but hey, we came out on top, ya know. And yet, these fans is what it's all about" kind of crap. CDM is like a breath of fresh air! I just hope we haven't fallen too far behind Georgia at this point.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Did anyone notice this in the article?

"Though McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier’s playcalling frequently got ripped by fans, the pair actually did a decent job."

No way I agree with that.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Did anyone notice this in the article?

"Though McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier’s playcalling frequently got ripped by fans, the pair actually did a decent job."

No way I agree with that.
There’s a common theme from national media that he got fired because of SC and the death threats. That’s 2 out of 100 reasons that piece of trash has his leg out on i75 right now

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
“McElwain talked about having a similar organizational structure to Saban’s, but he didn’t inherent Saban’s attention to detail,” Staples writes. “During McElwain’s final year at Florida, some Gators were paying their own way to be trained elsewhere in Gainesville by former Olympian Tim Montgomery. That should have been a glaring red flag with regard to the Gators’ strength program, but nothing was done to correct the issues that caused the players to seek help outside the program.”

This really devalues Taven Bryan's claim about home workouts with his Dad being tougher than those with UF S&C coach.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Nice article, but I don't need to read it. The product Mac produced on the field already told me he had no business running anything more complex than a hot dog stand.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Am I the only one that this bothers?

"“McElwain talked about having a similar organizational structure to Saban’s, but he didn’t inherent Saban’s attention to detail,”"

There are so many hacks out there. True journalism is dead. Add in the death of editing and this is what you get.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Truly a WTF moment, but I can't say I am surprised at the incompentence.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
I think it's safe to day Mac didn't learn much from Saban. I bet Saban cringes every time he's linked to Mac.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Mac when a player doesn’t spread the peanut butter to the crust:

29D8F6C7-7416-425E-8481-2CDCB1CD8E4F.gif

Mac when a player misses a workout:

:mac:

(Side note- where did the passion from the first gif go?)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac when a player doesn’t spread the peanut butter to the crust:

Mac when a player misses a workout:

:mac:

(Side note- where did the passion from the first gif go?)

Where did his passion go? Obviously, it was released on that shark.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yup and he didn't know he was taking PEDs either :scratchhead:
Not sure what your post is saying. Seems to me a lot of the angst against Grier was because it would seem stupid to go out on your own to try and bulk up, when you supposedly have a whole fitness and nutrition staff right there at your disposal to give you anything you need. Well now we see that Grier wasn't the only guy to feel the need to go outside the system to get competitive. Lots of folks here have pointed the finger just as much at Butters as Grier for this screwup, and this AJC article would seem to back up that opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator