All-Time Gator team

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. It would also hard for me to leave Ellis Johnson off my list. Also Walter Mayberry set records that lasted decades and reputedly the best athlete to play for UF before Wes Chandler.

At DT, I have Gerard Warren and Ed Chester. Who ya gonna bump for Ellis Johnson? DT is tough because we've had so many great ones--Brad Culpepper, Tony McCoy, Reggie MGrew, Ray MacDonald, Sharrif Floyd, etc.

Love your Tiger Mayberry pick. I don't know who I bump for him, but nice shout-out to a real hero.

Alex.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ikey, and reidel or caldwell and gaffney. Best receivers I've seen here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Some definite generational posting going on here. No knocking the younger guys, because I used to be one of them. But guys like Elam, Crowder, Floyd and Dunlap have no business anywhere near these lists, imo.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Wuerffel is QB. Love Tebow for what he did, but DW just embodied everything you could possibly want in a college QB. Rex was great but never even made Atl in a season he solely ran.

Percy may be the best utility player we've ever had, but hard to nail down to one spot. In a conversation of most dynamic, I doubt anyone else would have the votes. But not a pure WR, as others have said. Ike, Anthony, Gaffney and even Doering were better at that spot.

At DT, Ellis Johnson won the MVP of the SECCG as a defensive tackle and won 3 conference titles. He has to man one spot.

Black was as good a safety as Elam, and I'd put George, Teako, Nelson or Will White in front of both.

Corner would be Haden and Weary, with Lito very close.

Youngblood, Alex Brown and Carter at DE.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't do this thing. We've done it before, and I'm sure some previous attempt is in the archives.

I prefer to think of them as 1st teamers, the best of the best, but Id prefer to make for instance Danny and Tebow 1st team. Picking between the elite isn't really possible. Leak, Rex, and Shane second teamers. The next level of kids.

It's silly to sometimes hear people say that Harvin would have put up good numbers under a good OC so he's #1 or whatever. Would Leak put up even better numbers--he's already the career leader--if he had an OC that new something other than the option? Of course. But you can't rate people that way. Either they performed at an All American level (or All American champions) or they didn't. Leak was a champion, but not an All American champion. I believe he would have been with a competent OC, but he wasn't.

My memory of the 80s isn't really good enough. I was young, some of the time I was in the military. Games didn't get televised like they do now, so my 1st and 2nd teams would only go back to the 90s. It wouldn't be fair for me to pretend to rate others before that.

People who try that tend to just rate a pro career, ie picking Jevon Kearse as an alltime great LB when he was a terrible LB, so bad that they moved him to DE in the pros despite being 240 lbs. Pay attention to what I said. Kearse was a terrible LINEBACKER. He was a great pass rusher, but a terrible LINEBACKER. Teams often ran right at him and left him unblocked. In fact, he was worse than three other linebackers on his 1998 team (Rutledge, Peterson, and Kelsey).

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
he was worse than three other linebackers on his 1998 team (Rutledge, Peterson, and Kelsey).

Off topic slightly. There was a thread on Rivals a few days ago about games your team won that they shouldn't have. Several noles mentioned that '98 game against us. Probably the most overlooked team of Spurrier's career. With that D, how we lost any games is incredible. Stout and as deep as any defense I can recall.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Thought this would be interesting to do. What's your all time gator team/best overall squad. You can choose any players from any gator squad. Feel free to add honorable mentions as well. Here's Mine.

Defense:
Free safety: reggie nelson
Strong safety: Matt Elam
Corner: Janoris Jenkins
Corner: Keiwan Ratliff
Weakside Linebacker: Jarred Davis
Middle Linebacker: Channing Crowder
Strong wider lber: Jevon Kearse
WDE: Jack Youngblood
SDE: Carlos Dunlap
3-tech: Sharrif Floyd
NT: Gerard Warren

Offense
OT: Lomas Brown
OG: Jason Odom
C: Pouncey
OG: David Williams
OT: Jeff Zimmermen

Qb: Tebow
RB: Fred Taylor
TE: Ben Troupe
Wr: percy
Wr: calloway
Wr: Riley (needed a taller wr)
kicker: Eddy P

Some guys are a little out of position and obviously there will be disagreements but thats what makes it fun.
Also, in the future we could do an all time gator draft and cap the teams at like 10 or whatever's agreed upon and have them then do a head to head matchup with different teams facing each other and open each matchup to a gatorchatter public vote. Winner moves on until a champion is crowned. Just an idea.
Also, it should be acknowledged that Swamp Donkey schooled me in regards to Nattiel. Probably in contention for all time fastest gator or at least top10. Dude clocked a 4.29... Ill take the L on that one
and again not taking anything away from the players left out at all. There are PLENTY of other GATOR GREATS not on this list and thats all it is a list. IT can be debated, but they are all gators regardless. ITS GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR! ID take ANY all time gator team over other programs teams and we'd win ALL DAY! Watch out Saban, theres more gator greats coming on the way too. See you in Atlanta.
Nice! The only change I would consider making is substituting Doering or Collins for Callaway.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
At DT, I have Gerard Warren and Ed Chester. Who ya gonna bump for Ellis Johnson? DT is tough because we've had so many great ones--Brad Culpepper, Tony McCoy, Reggie MGrew, Ray MacDonald, Sharrif Floyd, etc.

Love your Tiger Mayberry pick. I don't know who I bump for him, but nice shout-out to a real hero.

Alex.

You are right this is quite hard. I guess I would not have Chester and maybe Warren and might go with Culpepper and one of the others you listed. Heck let me give it a shot:

DE: Alex Brown
DT: Ellis Johnson
DT: Sharrif Floyd
DE: Jevon Kearse
WLB: Wilbur Marshall
MLB: Scott Brantley
SLB: David Little
SS: Louis Oliver
CB; Lito Sheppard
CB: Joe Haden
FS: Walter Mayberry
P: Don Chandler
K: Eddy Pineiro
OT: Lomas Brown
OG: Burton Lawless
C: Maurkice Pouncey
OG: Crawford Ker
OT: Jason Odom
TE: Eron Kinney
FB: James Jones
WR: Wes Chandler
WR: Carlos Alvarez
RB: Emmitt Smith
QB: Danny Wuerffel

I could be talked out of many players. If I went with 3 WRs and dropped TE or FB, I would add in Harvin.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
QB - Tebow (best college player I've ever seen in my 55 years) But Danny...
RB - Emmitt Smith
FB - John L. Williams

LT - Lomas Brown
LG - Mike Pouncey
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - Jeff Mitchell
RT - Jason Odom
TE - A-Hern

WR - Ike Hilliard
WR - Chris Doering
WR - Percy Harvin

SS - Louis Oliver
FS - Reggie Nelson

CB - Joe Haden
CB - Vernon Hargreaves III

OLB - Wilber Marshall
MLB - Scot Brantley
OLB - Jevon Kearse

DE - Kevin Carter, Alex Brown
DT - Ellis Johnson, Tim Newton
DT - David Galloway, Reggie McGrew
DE - Jack Youngblood

PK - Caleb Sturgis or Eddie Piniero

P - Chas Henry or Ray Criswell

PR - Keiwan Ratliff

KR - Brandon James or Andre Debose

Kick gunner - Matt Piottowicz
Kick blocker - Chris Rainey

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Good old Alachua boy. Them Petersons were bad azzz much like Kelsey from Newberry. I played basketball with his dad in HS. David Galloway. A name that slipped my mind. HE was a monster and I think he got hurt before a great NFL career.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
QB - Tebow (best college player I've ever seen in my 55 years) But Danny...
RB - Emmitt Smith
FB - John L. Williams

LT - Lomas Brown
LG - Mike Pouncey
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - Jeff Mitchell
RT - Jason Odom
TE - A-Hern

WR - Ike Hilliard
WR - Chris Doering
WR - Percy Harvin

SS - Louis Oliver
FS - Reggie Nelson

CB - Joe Haden
CB - Vernon Hargreaves III

OLB - Wilber Marshall
MLB - Scot Brantley
OLB - Jevon Kearse

DE - Kevin Carter, Alex Brown
DT - Ellis Johnson, Tim Newton
DT - David Galloway, Reggie McGrew
DE - Jack Youngblood

PK - Caleb Sturgis or Eddie Piniero

P - Chas Henry or Ray Criswell

PR - Keiwan Ratliff

KR - Brandon James or Andre Debose

Kick gunner - Matt Piottowicz
Kick blocker - Chris Rainey

Love the shout out to the "kickbacker" Piotrowicz!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wilbur Marshall. Emmit Smith Eric Rhett. Wes Chandler (maybe best athlete ever at UF) The oline looks good. LB has to have Scott Brantley .
The secondary guys for Pell were pretty awesome. cannot remember names now (getting old)
Louis Oliver. bad azzz (walk on even)
Jarvis Williams (RIP), Boss! I don't think you have a greatest secondary without him in your first group. He should be on the list for his hit on Miami's Melvin Bratton if nothing else. Was at the game and the collision sounded like a cannon shot. F'd him up. A thing of beauty to the old generation of "football heads!" Guy could cover and come downhill in a hurry against the rush.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wilber. Any list without Wilber isn't worth reading.

Emmitt. I understand the Fred argument - he was incredibly fast for his size, and is also one of the best running backs to ever play the game (#17 career yards all time). But seriously. Emmitt.

Other players that just have to be on the list? Jack Youngblood, Wes Chandler, Lomas Brown.

And I get the Tebow claim, but Danny was as good a leader and a better quarterback. He didn't have the big arm, but his fade was as unstoppable as Jabbar's sky-hook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.