All-Time Gator team

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Wilber. Any list without Wilber isn't worth reading.

Emmitt. I understand the Fred argument - he was incredibly fast for his size, and is also one of the best running backs to ever play the game (#17 career yards all time). But seriously. Emmitt.

Other players that just have to be on the list? Jack Youngblood, Wes Chandler, Lomas Brown.

And I get the Tebow claim, but Danny was as good a leader and a better quarterback. He didn't have the big arm, but his fade was as unstoppable as Jabbar's sky-hook.

Actually there is NO argument for Fred Taylor. Fred Taylor was no better than the RBs UF has now until the last 2.5 games of his career at UF. At SoCar that year the light came on and he started running better. He continued that against FSU, though easily could have been the goat for early fumbles had UF not come back to win. He then had a huge game against PSU who UF's QB got hurt and PSU had small defensive tackles.

On everything else you are spot on in my view and I understand you were just responding on the Fred Taylor issue and I agree it has to be Emmitt Smith or Errict Rhett.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He and Louis Oliver together were lethal. I think Jarvis played with and came from Palatka like John L Williams (another great who had a real career in Seattle)
One of my FAVORITE players ever. He easily led the the kick team in tackles. What a beast he was.
I remember one game he made the tackle on 3 kickoffs. Was he the one that also kicked old style straight on? I know he was a yankee boy and played LB in HS.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
QB - Danny Wuerffel
RB - Emmitt Smith
FB - John L. Williams

LT - Lomas Brown
LG - Mike Pouncey
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - Jeff Mitchell
RT - Jason Odom
TE - A-Hern

WR - Ike Hilliard Wes Chandler
WR - Chris Doering Carlos Alvarez
WR - Percy Harvin

SS - Louis Oliver
FS - Reggie Nelson

CB - Joe Haden
CB - Vernon Hargreaves III

OLB - Wilber Marshall
MLB - Scot Brantley
OLB - Jevon Kearse Mike Peterson

DE - Kevin Carter, Alex Brown (Brown gets overplayed for one great game, '99 UT)
DT - Ellis Johnson, Tim Newton
DT - David Galloway, Reggie McGrew Gerard Warren
DE - Jack Youngblood

PK - Caleb Sturgis or Eddie Piniero

P - Chas Henry or Ray Criswell

PR - Keiwan Ratliff

KR - Brandon James or Andre Debose

Kick gunner - Matt Piottowicz
Kick blocker - Chris Rainey

Good list. My edits in red.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
(Brown gets overplayed for one great game, '99 UT)

Alex Brown is the UF career leader in sacks by enough of a margin that if he had missed the 1999 UTn game, he still would be the UF career leaders in sacks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alex Brown is the UF career leader in sacks by enough of a margin that if he had missed the 1999 UTn game, he still would be the UF career leaders in sacks.
The problem is we had many DTs that could rush the passers AND play the run. Brown couldnt. Also his stats were largely bc he played early, just like Leak.

Stats are important but stats dont make Leak THE best QB at UF either.

I agree with you stats should trump raw talent (ie Carlos Dunlap) or maybe a better pro career (ie Kearse as a DE).

I dont consider Brown THE best DE but he is certainly in that "as good as anyone ever to play at UF" boat. But so are Bullard and Fowler and many others.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Tremendously talented player who lacked a motor.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The problem is we had many DTs that could rush the passers AND play the run. Brown couldnt. Also his stats were largely bc he playes early, just like Leak.

Stats are important but stats dont make Leak THE best QB at UF either.

I agree with you stats should trump raw talent (ie Carlos Dunlap) or maybe a better pro career (ie Kearse as a DE).

I dont consider Brown THE best DE but he is certainly in that "as good as anyone ever to play at UF" boat. But so are Bullard and Fowler and many others.

I don't disagree with you view on stats v. NFL career v. perceived talent, ie measureables. Brown also played when UF was generally way ahead most of the game and the other team was constantly passing. Still the one game comment does not hold if when you remove that one game he still leads UF in the stat he ran up in that game.

BTW, the Leak analogy falls down because he does not lead UF in a meaningful QB stat. I do agree that passing yards and sacks are totals and can be misleading. The difference is that with QBs you have lots of other more meaningful stats to see how good they are. It would be interesting to have career tackle stats to go along with the sack stats on the all time leaders for UF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't connect
Brown also played when UF was generally way ahead most of the game and the other team was constantly passing.

Not clear what you mean here. It's not like he was brought in for obvious passing situations and sent back to the bench. Teams didn't just go pass happy when we were ahead, esp in the first half. Was he great at chasing the QB? No doubt. Was he a great run stopper or consistently engaged? That's where I'm a bit ambivalent on Brown.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually there is NO argument for Fred Taylor. Fred Taylor was no better than the RBs UF has now until the last 2.5 games of his career at UF.
Terry Jackson was arguably better than Fred most of his career. It certainly wasn't clear cut and we didn't miss Fred when he was suspended for his various thefts or whatever.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't connect

Not clear what you mean here. It's not like he was brought in for obvious passing situations and sent back to the bench. Teams didn't just go pass happy when we were ahead, esp in the first half. Was he great at chasing the QB? No doubt. Was he a great run stopper or consistently engaged? That's where I'm a bit ambivalent on Brown.

The more the opponent passes the more opportunities a DE has for a sack. The further ahead your team is the more you can focus on pass rushing and ignor the run.

Teams certainly did pass more in the first half against Spurrier teams because they knew if they did not try to score points from the openning kickoff they would fall too far behind to win. I guess a few guys like Tubberville at Mississippi in the famous 28-10 game were willing to run out the clock from the openning kickoff so that they would not lose too badly, but in general teams tried to score more against Spurrier teams because they knew that had to score more to stay in the game.

The bottom line here is that if we had (player sacks)/(opponent pass attempts + opponent sacks given up) we would have sack rate which would be a better number. Of course it would be a tiny number that many fans might not understand so maybe opponent pass plays per player sack, ie (opponent pass attempts + opponent sacks given up)/(player sacks) we would have a better measure of who was the best in this category.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Terry Jackson was arguably better than Fred most of his career. It certainly wasn't clear cut and we didn't miss Fred when he was suspended for thefts or whatever.

Exactly. Fred Taylor always had those NFL measurables and that led to him being taken in the top 10 of the NFL draft. I was frankly surprised that he had the NFL career he did, but it just goes to show that once the light came on for him and he started running lower to the ground it stayed on and he was very good.

On the other hand Terry Jackson was really good from almost the time he came to UF and the staff had thoughts of wasting him at LB. He was certainly one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I like your edits.

I was at Wes Chandler's coming out party vs. SMU, sat in the old north stands. That guy was magic. I am a bit too young to remember Alvarez but of course love the history and an A+++ guy all around.

Mike Pete is one of my all time favorite players, super consistent & his stuff of "Pooh Bear" Williams in the 1st NCG set the tone. We've had so many great LBs - but Kearse was such a scary athlete.

I've read the Alex Brown discussion that followed. But I remember him covering Shaun Alexander on a wheel route in the 1999 regular season game vs. Bama & tipping the ball away waaay downfield. Not sure how many DEs make that play. (Pardon any bad memories I may have stirred up of Darrell "DON'T TRY TO FIELD THAT #%*&$ PUNT" Jackson. Or "Could somebody PLEASE cover Feddy Millons just once, please? Because they are going to throw it to him on 3rd down EVERY TIME!)

Big Money - he was special. Confession: the name I left off was Dock Luckie.

Dock wasn't the most productive guy we've ever had at DT but I love that guy. He was very nice to me the times I met him and remembered me when I stopped him to introduce my kids years later. First meeting, I was sitting on the wall at GPA in mid-July. The lights went out. I looked up and there was Dock in a pair of white sneakers, white shorts (1980's shorts lol) and a white Gillian hat. No shirt, muscles bulging over muscles. I looked up and said, "Hi Dock!" He replied, "Hot. Really hot." We talked for a little while, and from then on he'd always wave or speak to me when we'd pass anywhere. I won't go into his whole story, but I was so happy when he got his degree and trashed the false narrative of the big lummox.

Lomas Brown story: Met him at a Pike house party. He was very gracious, then some guy who was about 5'10", 200lbs came up and started screaming in his face and challenging him to a fight. Lomas just held his hands up and kept saying, "Let it go, man. Let it go." He could have bent that guy like a paper clip. He didn't.

Tim Newton - I was coming out of the double doors at Matherly while he was coming in. I had to pin myself against the door jamb so he could squeeze by.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Off topic slightly. There was a thread on Rivals a few days ago about games your team won that they shouldn't have. Several noles mentioned that '98 game against us. Probably the most overlooked team of Spurrier's career. With that D, how we lost any games is incredible. Stout and as deep as any defense I can recall.
The 98 team would have been a beast of a team like the 08 team was if SOS had been able to get the O settled down.

The parts were there but they never got it going on O.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Terry Jackson was arguably better than Fred most of his career. It certainly wasn't clear cut and we didn't miss Fred when he was suspended for his various thefts or whatever.

I seem to recall his playing time being limited by asthma as well.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Wilbur Marshall. Emmit Smith Eric Rhett. Wes Chandler (maybe best athlete ever at UF) The oline looks good. LB has to have Scott Brantley .
The secondary guys for Pell were pretty awesome. cannot remember names now (getting old)
Louis Oliver. bad azzz (walk on even)
Spot on, those guys would be on my team

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'd give SOS serious consideration at QB. I watched him play all those games at Florida Field and all Gators believed when he stepped on the gridiron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.